Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Is Andy realistically the number 2 player in the world at the moment? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Is Andy Murray at the moment the second best tennis player?
YES - 17 (70.8%)
NO - 7 (29.2%)
Total Voters: 24

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Is Andy realistically the number 2 player in the world at the moment?

(Read 3604 times)
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

No Andy isn't realistically No.2 - he's No.1 - in my world at least and always will be!

Aww nice post mackem Smile
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Aww nice post mackem Smile

Yeah, felt very nice to read. Smile
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

With all due respect to the OP, I actually don't see the point of this discussion. Any player can play very well for two months, that doesn't mean he should be ranked 1st or 2nd. The ranking is entirely based on 12 months period of time.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

With all due respect to the OP, I actually don't see the point of this discussion. Any player can play very well for two months, that doesn't mean he should be ranked 1st or 2nd. The ranking is entirely based on 12 months period of time.

So true. Can we tell all those people on twitter ( inc brad Gilbert) who keep twittering on about how rafa should be seeded 2 at RG.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

So true. Can we tell all those people on twitter ( inc brad Gilbert) who keep twittering on about how rafa should be seeded 2 at RG.

We're talking about the greatest clay court player of all time here. Its bonkers he will be seeded 4/5 for the French.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

We're talking about the greatest clay court player of all time here. Its bonkers he will be seeded 4/5 for the French.
Why not, them,s the rulez(well mostly) thankfully.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Why not, them,s the rulez(well mostly) thankfully.

Indeed. Otherwise  to be fair to all players someone ranked say 46 who has been injured and is seen as a clay courter would have a fair argument at getting moved up to 32 and a seeding position. And then all players would start fussing about seeding at  all events. Wimbledon only used to do it because it was such a unique surface . Rules are for a reason. It's tough on Nadal but that's life I'm fraid and if he's good enough to win it shouldn't matter what he's seeded or when he meets someone.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

I thought it was the Spanish players who thought that back in the 90s when some of them were about to boycott it?

I have a feeling Lendl said it first EJ, years ago. I used to have a teacher who was a big Lendl admirer and I'm sure I remember talking to her about Wimbledon once, and Lendl's inability to win it. I seem to remember her telling me he'd said that. We laughed about it.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

I wouldn't mind telling Brad to shut up, but I doubt he'd manage it for long lol.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

If he's the greatest it doesn't matter where he's seeded he will sweep away everyone in  his path anyway.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

That is a very subjective debate and a foolish one too. Nadal needs to play all the great clay champions in the past and beat them on a regular basis to establish that kind of authority.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

I wouldn't mind telling Brad to shut up, but I doubt he'd manage it for long lol.
Yep, it's his opinion but really uncalled for dont you think teejay.?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

I have a feeling Lendl said it first EJ, years ago. I used to have a teacher who was a big Lendl admirer and I'm sure I remember talking to her about Wimbledon once, and Lendl's inability to win it. I seem to remember her telling me he'd said that. We laughed about it.

Most probably. Somehow it resurfaced sometime in the late 90s. I strictly remember it.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Of course he's playing better than Andy, it's the clay season.

Of course he has more titles than Andy, he's played several small tournaments on clay with the likes of Ferrer and Monaco for competition.

Of course he's ahead of him in the race. Because of the clay season.

Nadal ALWAYS picks up a shitload of points in the first half of the season. It's the latter half where the other three come into their own.

Djokovic was a better player than Nadal in 2011, he's a better player now. He more than proved that in Monte Carlo. Nadal couldn't live with him for a good chunk of the match. Rome and Roland Garros will be very big in showing where Nadal is right now compared to Djokovic.

Exactly .... Djoko is deservedly no1 and thats been the case for some time now. Nadal struggles against a fit and focussed Djoko on any surface...clay included. A 100% fit Andy is very close in similarity to Djoko. On clay though its Andy's worst surface by a country mile.... people creaming themselves over Nadal need to make judgements at the year end ...not during the clay season which , every year, he gets his best results on.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Exactly .... Djoko is deservedly no1 and thats been the case for some time now. Nadal struggles against a fit and focussed Djoko on any surface...clay included. A 100% fit Andy is very close in similarity to Djoko. On clay though its Andy's worst surface by a country mile.... people creaming themselves over Nadal need to make judgements at the year end ...not during the clay season which , every year, he gets his best results on.

I agree with that completely, especially the point about the year end. I don't see Nadal having the success he's been having since he came back on the American hard court swing. If Andy can get fit I'd fancy Andy over Nadal on grass too, I really would.

Clay is Andy's worst surface, but I wonder now if his progress on the surface has been thwarted somewhat by the back injury. I did feel that the clay swing in 2011 might have been a tad misleading for Andy. I thought that because the early part of 2011 wasn't great, after losing to Djokovic at the AO, maybe Andy had less to prove on the clay and went for it, getting himself into the three semi's. I struggle to believe his draws were that kind lol. Now I wonder if his back issue has halted his progress somewhat, maybe the best of Andy on clay is yet to come.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »