Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Is Andy realistically the number 2 player in the world at the moment? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Is Andy Murray at the moment the second best tennis player?
YES - 17 (70.8%)
NO - 7 (29.2%)
Total Voters: 24

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Is Andy realistically the number 2 player in the world at the moment?

(Read 4375 times)
benniebone
ATP Level

Yes Andy is no 2 at the moment These rankings are simply a snapshot  at a particular moment of time Clay is his great weakness but grass and hard court are his strengths
  Roll on Wimbledon
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

I thought the rankings depended on the number of points you have accumulated so if that is the case Andy is realistically the true No. 2.   If we go on other factors I think he probably was the No. 2 before the points rankings show.  Nadal does seem to be back but the extra points he has gained seem to be from the lower tournaments he has played.
[ Last edit by tamila May 28, 2013, 09:30 AM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Now I wonder if his back issue has halted his progress somewhat, maybe the best of Andy on clay is yet to come.

I fear the back problem could mean that Andy never fulfils his potential on clay.   It would be only natural if he always now approaches clay with some tentativeness and anxiety that he could aggravate the underlying problem. 
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

I fear the back problem could mean that Andy never fulfils his potential on clay.   It would be only natural if he always now approaches clay with some tentativeness and anxiety that he could aggravate the underlying problem. 

I do wonder if it might undermine any confidence he was beginning to build, and as you say, he may well be anxious of aggravating an underlying problem, which could hold him back.

I was just thinking that if the back problem is something that can be sorted, something Andy is able, at some point, to put behind him, might we see Andy's real ability on clay.

I just think 2011 showed how good Andy could be on the surface (I still don't think his draws could have been that kind in three tournaments, especially on clay). He pushed Nadal and Djokovic. Then, at the end of that year he injured himself, and since then, if anything, he has gone slightly backwards on the surface. To my mind that could indicate that it's the injury holding him back, not an inability to play on the surface.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

I just think 2011 showed how good Andy could be on the surface (I still don't think his draws could have been that kind in three tournaments, especially on clay).

He's not a clay-courter. End of discussion. He's still beaten only ONE top ten player on clay. As he'll never win the French, skipping it every year to practise on grass makes a lot of sense.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

We will have to wait and see re Andy's back he needs time for it to get better or eventually he will need an operation. If he does he will need to take his time and not rush back into tennis. I hope it is not as bad as we think but he has to get himself fit to play long games and a back that does not cause him pain.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

I also think that the injury has hindered his play on clay and  the fact that his knee did not show up until he played on clay in Spain.  Trying to protect his knee could put a strain on his back as so many injuries create problems elsewhere in the body.  My hip problems, undiagnosed for 10 years, has caused some problems in my lower back which have improved dramatically on the right since that hip was done.  This also applies to animals.  One of my horses did hurt his back but even after it healed he still put strain unevenly on his hind legs for nearly a year.  Eventually he realised that it did not hurt anymore and we were able to compete in endurance again.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

tamila I've also been wondering how far Andy's back problem has been caused by his longstanding knee and ankle problems as his body compensates for these physical weaknesses
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

He's not a clay-courter. End of discussion. He's still beaten only ONE top ten player on clay. As he'll never win the French, skipping it every year to practise on grass makes a lot of sense.

To be fair I didn't say he was a clay courter. I also didn't mention him winning the French. I was talking about Andy's injury, if it has impacted on his chance to develop on the clay at all, might he be a consistent quarter or semi finalist by now if the injury had not happened.

It also strikes me as amazing that Andy got into three clay court semi's without meeting another top ten player before that point in 2011. There must have been some slightly freaky results.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

But also sees him missing out on a potential 360-720 ranking points whilst his rivals pick up 720-2000 each.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

To be fair I didn't say he was a clay courter. I also didn't mention him winning the French. I was talking about Andy's injury, if it has impacted on his chance to develop on the clay at all, might he be a consistent quarter or semi finalist by now if the injury had not happened.

It also strikes me as amazing that Andy got into three clay court semi's without meeting another top ten player before that point in 2011. There must have been some slightly freaky results.

I think Andy's game style is very much all court. That said, I think Andy is severely restricted by the movements required on a clay surface by his lower back issues. I agree in that Andy has on occasion , eg 2011, shown that he can definately play well on that surface. His match vs Djoko in Rome proved that to my mind.
I don't believe Andy will ever achieve much success on clay, however. It clearly damages his back each season. The problem is that if he wants to getthe no1 ranking he has to find points from the clay season so he doesnt lose too much ground. Its a major problem for him i think. He has publicly stated reaching no1 is a major ambition of his.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

I was just looking back over this discussion. It makes funny reading to me now. I think Andy has well and truly proved himself, just as some of us predicted he would. What Andy has done, if anything, is show that he isn't the no.2 player in the world. He's the no.1 in waiting.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Strait sets in a GS Final, can't get better!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Interestingly i was thinking about this just the other day, i think Andy is hoping that if he reaches the final of a slam that it's Novak on the other side of the net, how many players on tour can say that?

I'll forgive Andy for not retaining his USO title, i think it might be a bit much for him so soon after Wimbledon, i think his head may be in the clouds a little while longer yet. But the WTF would be nice for him, and then to finally get his hands on the AO trophy, yeah that would be nice.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Andy could well end the year ranked 3rd :/
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »