Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Is Andy realistically the number 2 player in the world at the moment? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Is Andy Murray at the moment the second best tennis player?
YES - 17 (70.8%)
NO - 7 (29.2%)
Total Voters: 24

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Is Andy realistically the number 2 player in the world at the moment?

(Read 4396 times)
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Andy could well end the year ranked 3rd :/

No he bloody well wont
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

No he bloody well wont

If he doesn't win the USO there's a large chance of it happening.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

If he doesn't win the USO there's a large chance of it happening.

Whose the contender for no 2?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Whose the contender for no 2?

Nadal, he's 2000 ahead of Andy in the race, with nothing to defend.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

It doesn't really matter how much he has to defend, he's just 2000 ahead really so Andy needs to make that up on him or make up a 1000 on Djokovic.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

It means nothing to be honest, Rafa having 0 points to defend until Feb next year makes things look wierd for a time, he will most likely win the race to London but questions about his fitness for the rest of the year are still in place, Andy would need to have a brain fart to get knocked off 2nd place, the only event Andy has most points to defend is the USO, i think he has a great chance of making the final of that.

Current rankings:

1. Novak Djokovic 12.310 pts
 2. Andy Murray 9.360 pts
 3. David Ferrer 7.120 pts
 4. Rafael Nadal 6.860 pts
 5. Roger Federer 5.785 pts
 ------------------------------------------
 Points to defend rest of the year:

1. Novak Djokovic has 6080 pts to defend
 2. Andy Murray has 4065 pts to defend
 3. David Ferrer has 2465 pts to defend
 4. Rafael Nadal has 0 pts to defend
 5. Roger Federer has 3350 pts to defend
 ------------------------------------------
 Points to defend rest of the year taken off:

1. Rafael Nadal 6.860 pts
 2. Novak Djokovic 6.230 pts
 3. Andy Murray 5.295 pts
 4. David Ferrer 4.655 pts
 5. Roger Federer 2.435 pts
 -------------------------------------------

Djokovic is not going to better 6080 pts from last year.

Murray could better his points from Canada, Cincinnati and Paris where he got less than 150. But he still has 750 + 2000 pts to defend (OL will just drop off) and thus could be seen as the biggest threat to Nadal's #1 ranking, but I still don't see him outscoring Nadal.

Ferrer can gain some ground if he plays Canada and Shanghai (didn't play them last year) and goes farther than the 3rd round of Cincinnati, but he still has 720 + 1000 points to defend from the USO and Paris.

Federer? No chance in hell.

I highly doubt Nadal will outperform those guys during their best part of the season and his worst. I don't think he will do a whole lot for the rest of the season

IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

If Ferrer plays Canada & Shanghai he wil have to drop points from some smaller tourneys as only 18 tourneys plus O2 Year End Finals count.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Nobody has anything to defend in the race.

We are entering the time of year when Nadal traditionally struggles the most.  If both players are fit, most people would expect Andy to earn more points between now and December.  Obviously, there are no guarantees, but it's not going to be easy for Nadal to stay ahead in the race.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

We are entering the time of year when Nadal traditionally struggles the most.  If both players are fit, most people would expect Andy to earn more points between now and December.  Obviously, there are no guarantees, but it's not going to be easy for Nadal to stay ahead in the race.

Nadal will still gain points.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

I don't see Rafa doing a whole lot for the rest of the year. I think all the excitement around him from the clay and Indian Wells has settled somewhat now, because people took a reality pill at Wimbledon. Rafa's movement, which he relies on heavily, as most of them do, was terrible at Wimbledon. I don't see it getting better after an extended period on the hard courts. Indian Wells, in my view, was a total red herring because the conditions there suit him. The USO doesn't, not really. Is it just me who really couldn't care less if Nadal does win the race, and I do think it is if.

I'm not worried about Andy. I don't see him being pushed off that no.2 spot, not by Rafa or anyone. Andy would have to practically pack up and sit the rest of the year out mentally for that to happen and I don't see it.

I think the USO could be interesting, but I've said all year I thought it would be significant. I think for Andy it could go either way. I think he has every chance of making the final again. I can see the argument that after Wimbledon he might just not have it in the tank to dig deep in the final of the USO, if he gets there, but then again, winning Wimbledon, getting the pressure of that over and done, might just inspire him. We don't know.

I think I'd fear for Andy more if Wimbledon had been his first major. Winning it was huge, don't get me wrong, but winnning the USO last year will surely have helped Andy to learn about recovering from something like that, and what he needs to do to re-focus.

I think it helps Andy that he took a break after Wimbledon, even if it was short. It also, to my mind, helps that Montreal and Cinci are before the USO, because that will give Andy something to focus on.

Whatever happens, watching as Andy attempts to defend a major title, or to put it another way, watching him try to win it again, will be amazing.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Are we all forgetting about Rafa. We will all have to see how he fares on hardcourts. Will he be able to play full out. I have a suspicion that he is keeping quiet about his knees and if it is anything like Wimbledon he could well be finished so we should not be jumping the gun.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

If rafa remains ahead of Andy in the race... he will overtake  Andy in the rankings, right? Not sure how it works.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Like Teejay I feel  very confident that Murray will cope well and keep his no2 position There's only one way to do it,taking one event at a time and one match at a time. It will be a very interesting time.
  Federer seems to be doing just that and is playing his second tournament since he got slaughtered by Stakhousky at Wimbledon I think he is making a big effort to recover  from this defeat
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

If rafa remains ahead of Andy in the race... he will overtake  Andy in the rankings, right? Not sure how it works.

No, Race rankings have no impact or relevance to how the actual week rankings pan out. Race just measures how many points the individual player gets in a calendar year. Rafa has already qualified for the World Tour Finals, so I believe because he is first in the race, he will be the first seed at the actual event. Then the same applies for the next seven.

EDIT: Novak has qualified too after his Wimbledon final appearance, if Any can win Canada and get to at least the semis of Cincinnati, because he won Wimbledon, he will probably qualify then.
[ Last edit by GangstaMurray July 22, 2013, 01:13 PM ] IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

A win at Canada will put Andy into the WTF, a runner-up place might even do so depending on what the other players do but that's probably not very likely.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »