Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  It Has Begun. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Reply
Author

It Has Begun.

(Read 4271 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: It Has Begun. « Reply #60 on: July 01, 2012, 06:41 PM »

Agree whole-heartedly with that ^^

From comments on football forums it seems 50/50 in favour of Andy to blind hatred, but I know full well that there are many other Andy fans who don't bother posting because they know the utter drivel that the anti-Murray fans will post.

Personally I have no hatred whatsoever to the other parts of Britain (or Ireland) and like to see them do well (referring mainly to football here). Although if they were ever to 'usurp' England as it were I would probably feel differently! lol I couldn't care less that Andy is not English - he represents Great Britain and that's all that matters (to me, at least).

I know many others who feel the same way, but likewise I know many who have blind hatred towards Andy and make constant snipes at the other British countries. Generalising a little, but it tends to be the rowdy, drinking, swearing types that fit that category.

It's not all to do with him being Scottish though (I think for many it's just used as a stick to beat him with). Lewis Hamilton is English and seems to split opinion just as much, if not more. Now people questioning his attitude may have a point, but people outright calling him a "prick" (like with Andy) is plain out of order. He can be a bit hot-headed at times (less so recently) and can get frustrated when things aren't going his way (similar to Andy, nay, everyone, in that respect I think). But he is still one of Britain's greatest sportsmen right now (like Andy), yet gets dogs abuse from some who rarely follow the sport or know anything about him.

It's not fun being an avid Leeds/Murray/Hamilton supporter, constantly having your idols/team jibed at and hated. Frown
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: It Has Begun. « Reply #61 on: July 01, 2012, 06:48 PM »

I agree, Aileen, Johnny Mac is becoming irritating - I really miss the excellent commentary we had from Jim Courier at the French.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: It Has Begun. « Reply #62 on: July 02, 2012, 01:27 AM »

Do you know I've always been aware of the fierce Scottish English rivalry.  football the most obvious one.  Its pretty vicious at times.  I have known it for years.  Its ok to have a little banter and laugh about it, but some people just take to far, and their comments are quite disgusting and derogatory tbh   all because of a Nationality?!  Its not just about Andy.  Its about nearly every Scottish sportsman or women.  They get frowned upon by the English.     Its  pretty stupid if you ask me.  Don't get me wrong Scottish people do this as well.  I didn't exactly want England to win the Euros lol  but do you see me calling people disgusting names and spreading it all over the internet.  No.  I'm actually quite mature for my age and I wouldn't think twice about writing a whole load of drivel and hate.  I have  seen 25 to 50 year old  football fans doing this. Do you see the contrast ? Some people spend their lives doing that and I find that quite pathetic. The English take all their sporting woes and sorrows and take it out  on the Scottish sporting heros  ie Andy Murray.   Lets face it that's the only reason why they seem to hate our Andy is just because he is Scottish.  I am not saying all English people are like this. I'm just saying its some people and its just really pathetic.  I don't hate the English.  I don't have any grudge against them. I would support a English sportsman.  I don't any trouble with that.    trying to teach football fans a new sport (tennis)  is literally impossible.  been there done that.  don't wanna go back
Thanks John.  I wish there were more fair-minded people like you around, and, yes, I had picked up that you were quite a mature person - most of the time! lol

Unfortunately, as you say, there are grown men, and women, on both sides of the border, who show an alarming lack of maturity when it comes to the nationality issue, and sport isn't the only place it rears its ugly head.  I've been the victim of racial abuse in England, or to be more precise, London, where I once lived for 3 years, and it isn't pleasant, so I can sympathise with English people who suffer abuse from Scots who should know better.  As far as Andy goes, though, I'm afraid that there are a fair number of Scots who don't like him, so it isn't just an English thing.

Also, whilst it's true that a lot of footie fans are pig-ignorant when it comes to other sports, there are a plenty who aren't - and the football thread on this forum testifies to that.

It's not all to do with him being Scottish though (I think for many it's just used as a stick to beat him with). Lewis Hamilton is English and seems to split opinion just as much, if not more. Now people questioning his attitude may have a point, but people outright calling him a "pri*k" (like with Andy) is plain out of order. He can be a bit hot-headed at times (less so recently) and can get frustrated when things aren't going his way (similar to Andy, nay, everyone, in that respect I think). But he is still one of Britain's greatest sportsmen right now (like Andy), yet gets dogs abuse from some who rarely follow the sport or know anything about him.

It's not fun being an avid Leeds/Murray/Hamilton supporter, constantly having your idols/team jibed at and hated. Frown
I've never really followed F1, but I am aware that Lewis is unpopular with many of his fellow Brits.  I think it boils down to personality - and that's the reason so many Scots dislike Andy.  I'm not a footie fan either, although my Dad was (and a golfing fan as well), so I don't know what Leeds have done to incur displeasure, although I do know that some football clubs seem to attract more negativity than others, for whatever reason.

All I can say to you is just to stick to your own beliefs, and, difficult though it may be, try to ignore as far as possible what other people think.  It really isn't worth the grief.
[ Last edit by Aileen July 02, 2012, 01:50 AM ] IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: It Has Begun. « Reply #63 on: July 02, 2012, 11:57 AM »

I support Lewis as well as Andy - maybe that says something about me!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: It Has Begun. « Reply #64 on: July 02, 2012, 02:37 PM »

You support those that represent your country?

I can perhaps understand people who are indifferent to those representing GB but I am just dumbfouded why so many go out of their way to support any foreign rival and laughing at any misfortune for the Brit. Why are we as a nation unable to support our sportsmen/women?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: It Has Begun. « Reply #65 on: July 02, 2012, 03:17 PM »

I supported Henman, as did quite a lot of Scots.  Never really took to him but admired his tennis.  And when England won the 1966 World Cup I watched it with a group of friends, only one of whom was English, and we were yelling ourselves hoarse for the Auld Enemy and delighted when they won.  Mind you the War was still a little fresh in the memory! wink
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: It Has Begun. « Reply #66 on: July 02, 2012, 06:06 PM »

I supported Henman, as did quite a lot of Scots.  Never really took to him but admired his tennis.  And when England won the 1966 World Cup I watched it with a group of friends, only one of whom was English, and we were yelling ourselves hoarse for the Auld Enemy and delighted when they won.  Mind you the War was still a little fresh in the memory! wink

I'm with you Aileen - I support the Brits wherever they come from.  Even though I'm not really a football watcher, I cheered on Chelsea when they won the Champions' League and I cheered for England in the European Championships and was sorry to see them go down on penalties.  As for Tim - I would have loved him to win a Slam - I even supported Greg - the adopted Brit - and I admire him for what he has done with the Junior DC Team even though he drives me nuts when he is commentating. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: It Has Begun. « Reply #67 on: July 02, 2012, 06:27 PM »

I'm with you Aileen - I support the Brits wherever they come from.  Even though I'm not really a football watcher, I cheered on Chelsea when they won the Champions' League and I cheered for England in the European Championships and was sorry to see them go down on penalties.  As for Tim - I would have loved him to win a Slam - I even supported Greg - the adopted Brit - and I admire him for what he has done with the Junior DC Team even though he drives me nuts when he is commentating. 
Just wait until the Olympics because it's then that the British really do get behind their sportsmen and women and support Team GB.  For these two weeks at least the four nations become one. 
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: It Has Begun. « Reply #68 on: July 02, 2012, 07:36 PM »

I am a mega fan of Lewis and Andy too. Both sportsmen have rattled the establishment, they do not conform. Both blasted into the limelight, went right to the top very quickly. They are recognised by their fellow sportsmen as top class, but not by a large minority of the public.
IP Logged
killieboyd
Satellite Level

Re: It Has Begun. « Reply #69 on: July 02, 2012, 08:57 PM »

I also supported as a Scot,in fact i supported all British players in the 80's and 90's at Wimbledon ndwho were always English or Canadian!  However I live in North Yorkshire adn work in York most of the time and Murray is disliked by the majority here because he is Scottish and I just don't understand it!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: It Has Begun. « Reply #70 on: July 02, 2012, 09:41 PM »

I also supported as a Scot,in fact i supported all British players in the 80's and 90's at Wimbledon ndwho were always English or Canadian!  However I live in North Yorkshire adn work in York most of the time and Murray is disliked by the majority here because he is Scottish and I just don't understand it!
Yes many on the Leeds forums have a blind hatred for him as well (mostly the Leeds-based ones, it tends to be the more southern-based/Scottish ones who support Andy).
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: It Has Begun. « Reply #71 on: July 03, 2012, 01:07 AM »

Yes many on the Leeds forums have a blind hatred for him as well (mostly the Leeds-based ones, it tends to be the more southern-based/Scottish ones who support Andy).
Take comfort from the fact that a very close friend of mine, an Englishman who was born and brought up in Leeds, and is a big Leeds fan, supports Andy. Smile
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: It Has Begun. « Reply #72 on: July 03, 2012, 01:14 AM »

Take comfort from the fact that a very close friend of mine, an Englishman who was born and brought up in Leeds, and is a big Leeds fan, supports Andy. Smile
Oh really? That's nice. There are a few fans on there, but just as many haters.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: It Has Begun. « Reply #73 on: July 03, 2012, 01:47 AM »

Born and bred in Doncaster, loyal Timmy fan, loyal Andy fan, loyal supporter of all sporting things British.  Some people are just stupid! Very Happy
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: It Has Begun. « Reply #74 on: July 03, 2012, 12:51 PM »

Hey guys, some of the pro-Murray fans are appearing. A few posts that have popped up in the last few minutes in reply to this typical anti-Murray post:

Murray is a sulkytwat who will never ever win Wimbledon as he hasn't got what it takes to be a top athelte....... Mental strength!

The response:

It's comments like this that are truly laughable.

Normally people who have a personal issue with Murray and haven't watched a game of tennis in their life.

Top athlete? What the **** is he then? It's not amateur hour. Previously ranked world no.2, what was Henman's highest, 4?

Easily the best we've had for years.

And he's a sulky twat? Unlike who? Nadal, Djokovic, Federer, none of them are cracking any gags on court. Murray trains his ******** off, plays, and goes home until it's time to come back and do it again. It's ******* professional.

If he was grabbing all the media's attention people would point the finnger again saying he's just another sell out.

Well said that man.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »