Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Murray in 2. - 14 (33.3%)
Murray in 3. - 21 (50%)
Del Potro in 2. - 1 (2.4%)
Del Potro in 3. - 2 (4.8%)
Match postponed after Federer runs on and complains about raindrops. - 4 (9.5%)
Total Voters: 42

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 88 Go Down Reply
Author

IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro

(Read 11433 times)
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #45 on: March 14, 2013, 04:37 PM »

Looking at today's schedule though I reckon it'll either be around 1 pm or 7 pm IW time - which is not good for the UK but better than Andy playing in the midday heat.  I guess it all depends which match the schedulers reckon is going to be the bigger draw (also taking TV audiences into account), Andy's or Novak's.

It better be Andy.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #46 on: March 14, 2013, 04:59 PM »

It better be Andy.
I've a feeling Andy's will be the earlier one given that the #1 would be expected to attract a bigger audience, but when you look at what Andy achieved last year ...

[ Last edit by Aileen March 14, 2013, 05:15 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #47 on: March 14, 2013, 05:00 PM »

I am wondering about the schedule too. Which match is bigger and will draw a bigger crowd? Part of me wants Andy to get off the court asap, but then again I will miss the match, so what's more important? Definitely Andy getting off the court asap.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #48 on: March 14, 2013, 05:06 PM »

I'm looking forward to this one, it could be fun. I wonder how much of a factor the both of them not playing each other for so long will be. The thing is, if I'm not mistaken, Delpo was considered to be playing his best back then, whilst Andy, arguably, wasn't, and Andy was winning more often than not, so that gives me reason to be positive. Andy is a better player now than when they last met.

I'm sure Andy will want to lift his level for Delpo, and I take the point he will need to, but then again so will Delpo. I mean, who has he played so far? Frankly he didn't have to do much to thrash Haas, because Haas was awful in their match. Even if Andy has been below his best so far he hasn't been that bad.

Delpo moves reasonably well for a big guy, but I don't think he moves as well as Andy, or is anywhere near as quick around the court. I'd go as far as to say that Delpo seems to have two speeds and they both appear to be slow. To my mind Andy needs to keep him moving as much as possible, not give him too much time on the ball, and I think Andy needs to make it quite physical. I get the feeling that if it comes down to playing the long game that helps Andy more than Delpo.

The H2H should give Andy confidence, and should, arguably, have Delpo quaking in his boots. Also, having played him before, even if it wasn't for a while, Andy should know how to play him and what has worked before. Andy in three.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #49 on: March 14, 2013, 05:08 PM »

There are only two big hitters left at this stage of the tournament - Del Potro and Berdych (and Anderson to a lesser extent but he’s never a threat for the top players) and I don't feel the slow surface will allow him to hit as big, so that's a plus for us. However, Andy has yet to find his rhythm. He is awkward at times and can't position himself properly for the strike, even if it is within his zone. Some part of his game has yet to kick in - his return for example. Not there at all. And also, his 1st percentage is still not decent enough; however, did manage to serve some aces at crucial times. Not always comfortable in rallies either. I do think he suffers against the altitude and prefers a lower bounce. This court feels like medium slow and I have always thought Andy’s more of a medium fast court player. Anyway, perhaps Del Potro will bring forward some interest in Andy as I know Andy isn’t particularly thrilled about playing players like Lu, Berlocq etc. Plus, they haven’t played quite a while so that’s another interesting factor for both. Will bring a great crowd as well and Andy loves that. So let’s see. Andy should win really but Del Potro is playing very well and playing with confidence. They both have 1 Slam each behind them so it’s their first time meeting after that WTF win over Delpo in 2009, but Del Potro was mostly out of it after that big win over Federer. I am accepting a more focused Andy against Del Potro so let’s see.

Yeah...there are many conflicting opinions of what Andy's best surface and conditions are for his best tennis....I agree that he seems best suited to medium to fast court conditions. His game,to me, is based on fast start/fast stop tennis combined with a court that doesn't slow the ball down so it either reflects the pace he puts on the ball or increases it. He also thinks maybe 3 or more shots ahead so if the court is fast it gives the opponent less time to adjust to Andy's thinking.

Another thing that was strange about Andy's game the other night was that he kept turning round the ball to hit with his forehand...he seemed to barely use his backhand. I think that was down to a Berlocq tactic as much as anything...he(Berlocq) knew if he had to continually exchange backhands he would lose by a large margin...so he kept hitting the ball as hard as he can with his forehand so that Andy had no option. Andy did struggle with that. I hope he is prepared for DP doing something similar. Im sure DP has had more than a wee chat with his countryman about that one.

[ Last edit by ABF March 14, 2013, 05:14 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #50 on: March 14, 2013, 05:36 PM »

I am wondering about the schedule too. Which match is bigger and will draw a bigger crowd? Part of me wants Andy to get off the court asap, but then again I will miss the match, so what's more important? Definitely Andy getting off the court asap.
From a more general schedule it looks like the two QFs will be played from 11 am onwards, with the women's SFs in the evening.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #51 on: March 14, 2013, 05:41 PM »

This match up with Del Potro is good for Andy. Whatever the result it will show precisely where he currently is in the wider game.

Is he a true number 3? Is he in reality a potential number 2? How far does he have to go to finally achieve his long lasting desire to be World number 1?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #52 on: March 14, 2013, 06:00 PM »

From a more general schedule it looks like the two QFs will be played from 11 am onwards, with the women's SFs in the evening.

It makes sense because otherwise they will have no time to recover for their next match - especially when the other side is getting an off day tomorrow.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #53 on: March 14, 2013, 06:27 PM »

I'm assuming that Andy's match will be 1st and Nole's 2nd - both because Nole is #1 and because his last match finished so late so he will probably have asked for the later match.  And as #1 he'll have more clout.  Sky coverage of the 1st QF tomorrow starts at 8.30pm.
Let's hope that his first 3 matches have helped Andy play himself into form and rhythm and he'll be ready for delpo. I'm not sure which I want more Andy to win or delpo not to beat him.   I want Andy to win to increase his chances of getting to #2 in the rankings and I don't want delpo to beat him and get ideas above his station given they've not played for so long.   But looking on the bright side, like Aileen, at least Andy is still in there and didn't exit in his first match. 
Go Andy Go.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #54 on: March 14, 2013, 07:54 PM »

Friday nights dont get much better than Murray Vs Potro and Sexy Tsonga vs Novak !!

Hopefully Andy shows JMDP whose boss out there and puts on a good show. You never know which Andy will show he has been unimpressive so far this week but he can step it up massively, from one game to the next. he will be really motivated to win this one.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #55 on: March 14, 2013, 07:58 PM »

Looks like I will miss this match. Shucks. Frown

But I can still catch it later I guess. Would love to be there for Andy though.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #56 on: March 14, 2013, 08:27 PM »

Just been announced on sky sports that both matches are live from 8-30 pm Friday night. 

Edit : but not known which order first.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #57 on: March 14, 2013, 08:28 PM »

From his presser after his match against Haas, Delpo's thoughts on playing Andy:

"Q.  Talk a little about playing Andy and that matchup.  You have had a few interesting matches in the past.

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO:  Yeah, of course.  Well, now we are much older and ‑‑

Q.  Wiser?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO:  ‑‑and smart and we are friends and we have good relationship and we share many things together.

Of course play against him is a big challenge for me.  He already won the US Open last year, made finals in Australia, and he's doing very fantastic career beating the top guys and fighting for the first position, as well.

So it's gonna be interesting match for me."

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=87377
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #58 on: March 14, 2013, 08:31 PM »

Del Potro is always very calm and humble. He rarely is caught in the spotlight for having an argument or being unfriendly towards fellow players.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #59 on: March 14, 2013, 08:34 PM »

Del Potro is always very calm and humble. He rarely is caught in the spotlight for having an argument or being unfriendly towards fellow players.

Bit like yourself eh gangsta!  Whistle
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 88 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »