Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Murray in 2. - 14 (33.3%)
Murray in 3. - 21 (50%)
Del Potro in 2. - 1 (2.4%)
Del Potro in 3. - 2 (4.8%)
Match postponed after Federer runs on and complains about raindrops. - 4 (9.5%)
Total Voters: 42

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 88 Go Down Reply
Author

IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro

(Read 14565 times)
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #105 on: March 15, 2013, 12:58 PM »

Yeh, nice post teejay, I feel a bit at ease after reading it. Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #106 on: March 15, 2013, 01:34 PM »

Just love Andy's roar. Looking forward to this match,but I wish Andy's match was on first the cooler it gets the better it is for Potty. As the evening wears on I will be a wreck, I just know I will!  nervous
So there's a dilemma.  We want the 1st match to go the distance and exhaust the victor.  But if it goes on too long, then it could mean cooler conditions favouring delpo.  As it is, if they start at 3.30 as Sky is predicting it won't be that cool and they should be finished before it cools down.  So what do we hope for folks (leaving aside the question of our own bedtimes here in the UK  Whistleconfused
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #107 on: March 15, 2013, 01:54 PM »

I always enjoy your posts Teejay, they are great common sense posts.  You never pretend to know what Andy is thinking or why Andy is doing something. Like ChrisMac says I'm more at ease after reading your posts.

Indian Wells is two hours earlier than my time so hoping Andy doesn't play till I get home from work.

Good Luck Andy, come in with confidence and knowledge knowing you can beat DelPo.  However, stay focused and don't look past him.  Let your racquet do the talking and may the force be with you!! Bagpipes
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #108 on: March 15, 2013, 01:55 PM »

Andy would be wise to take things in 2 of course.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #109 on: March 15, 2013, 02:02 PM »

hug Thanks Teejay-I've been feeling all tense and nervous all day about this match,but reading your post made me feel better.Just gotta trust in our man,I suppose!
C'mon Andy yay

Don't get me wrong, I am nervous, but I think we have to have some faith. I do think it could be tight, but I still fancy Andy in 3 sets.
IP Logged
bubbles80
Satellite Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #110 on: March 15, 2013, 02:14 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I am nervous, but I think we have to have some faith. I do think it could be tight, but I still fancy Andy in 3 sets.

i think andy in 3 and dont forget he had some rest so ilike i have always said "stand by your man"  cmonandy cmonandy cmonandy cmonandy
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #111 on: March 15, 2013, 02:55 PM »

It's obviously a step up for Andy against Delpo, but it is for Delpo too. I don't think we should forget that.

Time and again pundits have spoken about top players not playing their best in tournaments. Then, almost out of nowhere, they find their best when it is needed. Andy is very much in that category. He always has been somehow, but especially now. I think the thing about now is that Andy truly believes his best will be there, expects it of himself, so he finds it.

I think the thing with Andy so far is that he has responded well when he has needed to. He might well have not played his best, but every time he has been threatened he has come up with a response.

People will talk about the match with Berlocq and say Andy struggled. Well, he won in straight sets, so that is my kind of struggling.

Delpo is obviously a different kettle of fish for Andy, but Andy knows what he needs to do. He's done it before.

This is why you are the Poster of the year for me, TJ. Smile
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #112 on: March 15, 2013, 03:06 PM »

We are all united in our support for Andy.

I've watched everyone's matches, and Del Po has been solid. Andy has been giving me heart palpitations, but he's really proving he can pull out the punches when his back is against the wall. I'm really looking forward to seeing them play together again, with a win for Andy.

Here are some match facts from the ATP website:

• In the next match, No. 3 seed Murray takes on No. 7 seed del Potro for the first time since his win in 2009 at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. Both players come into today’s match evenly matched in the year-to-date MatchFacts. Both players are serving at 66% on the year, winning 76% of 1st serve points and both have saved 43 break points, but Murray has converted 53 break points to 34 for del Potro. Murray is appearing in his 30th career ATP Masters 1000 quarter-final, 19-10 (2-1 last year) in quarter-finals and has career record of 62-49 (1-1 in 2013) vs Top 10 opponents. del Potro is playing in 11th  career ATP Masters 1000 quarter-final, 5-5 (2-1 last year) in such matches. Has a career record of 28-52 (0-1 in 2013) vs Top 10 opponents, career 16-40 (0-1 in 2013) vs Top 5. The Tandil native along with Tomas Berdych has dropped the fewest games (17) coming into the quarter-finals.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/03/11/Indian-Wells-Friday-Preview.aspx
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #113 on: March 15, 2013, 03:08 PM »

^ Thanks for sharing those, Linda. Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #114 on: March 15, 2013, 03:48 PM »

• In the next match, No. 3 seed Murray takes on No. 7 seed del Potro for the first time since his win in 2009 at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. Both players come into today’s match evenly matched in the year-to-date MatchFacts. Both players are serving at 66% on the year, winning 76% of 1st serve points and both have saved 43 break points, but Murray has converted 53 break points to 34 for del Potro. Murray is appearing in his 30th career ATP Masters 1000 quarter-final, 19-10 (2-1 last year) in quarter-finals and has career record of 62-49 (1-1 in 2013) vs Top 10 opponents. del Potro is playing in 11th  career ATP Masters 1000 quarter-final, 5-5 (2-1 last year) in such matches. Has a career record of 28-52 (0-1 in 2013) vs Top 10 opponents, career 16-40 (0-1 in 2013) vs Top 5. The Tandil native along with Tomas Berdych has dropped the fewest games (17) coming into the quarter-finals.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/03/11/Indian-Wells-Friday-Preview.aspx
ooh don't know whether that makes me more or less nervous   nervous yay
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #115 on: March 15, 2013, 04:07 PM »

I must admit I haven't seen Del Potro since AO where he struggled against Chardy and lost. That was another potential meeting there for Andy but Del Potro didn't advance that far.

I guess he’s playing well here but how well I have no idea. Looking at his path, he beat the likes of Phau, Davydenko, Haas to make the qtr, so can’t say he’s been tested at all. This is actually the real test for both.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #116 on: March 15, 2013, 04:19 PM »

I have to rush, rush, rush this evening so that I can catch Andy's match on time. I have a bit of groceries to do but that will have to wait for tomorrow. I have nothing in the fridge though but some milk but that has gone so bad, it's now good cheese as Will would say.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #117 on: March 15, 2013, 04:23 PM »

I'm just looking forward to seeing this matchup again after so long. Andy's met each of the other top 8 players multiple times since 2009 - it's definitely long-overdue for him to meet Delpo again.

Delpo generally doesn't struggle until he meets the top 5 players (the Chardy loss excepted). He's able to overpower most players, even the aggressive ones. But when he comes up against good defenders, that's where he can struggle sometimes. It'll be interesting to see the tactics that Andy uses in the match - I remember his slice being very effective in their past meetings.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #118 on: March 15, 2013, 04:26 PM »

I might be able to watch this match  Smile   awesome Very Happy
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #119 on: March 15, 2013, 04:34 PM »

I'm definitely watching this one. Cant miss it. Already set my alarm. Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 88 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »