Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Murray in 2. - 14 (33.3%)
Murray in 3. - 21 (50%)
Del Potro in 2. - 1 (2.4%)
Del Potro in 3. - 2 (4.8%)
Match postponed after Federer runs on and complains about raindrops. - 4 (9.5%)
Total Voters: 42

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 ... 88 Go Down Reply
Author

IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro

(Read 12430 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1170 on: March 16, 2013, 02:15 AM »

The reality is that Andy's game now doesn't suit for playing Delpo as it did in the past. He's beefed up every ground stroke and with that his natural ability has taking a back seat. Watching it seemed Delpo was spinning Andy into a web with the backhand slice than the other way around.

I am not enjoying any of Andy's matches at the moment

It might also be that after the training block with Lendl, there needs to be some bedding in time. That might be why he has looked so unconfirtanke in this tournament. None of the matches in this tournament have seemed enjoyable. Sometimes it's a case of one step forward and two back for a while.
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1171 on: March 16, 2013, 02:22 AM »

It might also be that after the training block with Lendl, there needs to be some bedding in time. That might be why he has looked so unconfirtanke in this tournament. None of the matches in this tournament have seemed enjoyable. Sometimes it's a case of one step forward and two back for a while.

I will wait till Miami to judge but as of now I have my doubts about where his game is headed.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1172 on: March 16, 2013, 02:30 AM »

I will wait till Miami to judge but as of now I have my doubts about where his game is headed.

You don't think he's going to do well in the future at all?
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1173 on: March 16, 2013, 02:37 AM »

You don't think he's going to do well in the future at all?

Honestly I have my doubts. I hate the tennis he is playing, no variety just flat turgid hitting.

I don't feel as bad as I would if I was a Fed fan but  
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1174 on: March 16, 2013, 02:39 AM »

Is that the most Unforced errors Andy's had in a 3 set match?
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1175 on: March 16, 2013, 02:41 AM »

People are panicking unneceasrily.

Murray's game is best suited to AO, Miami, Queens, Wimbledon, Montreal, Cinci, USO, Shanghai. Not IW never has been, he hadn't played in 6 weeks, and he lost to a player playing very well.

I'm not excusing the fact Andy played poorly and should have done better, but its not time to hit panic stations yet if he loses to Delpo at QFs of Wimbledon thats when I'll be worried.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1176 on: March 16, 2013, 02:44 AM »

So he will only ever do well in those tournaments? I want him to move forward in other tournaments too.

Let's hope he was just training predominately on clay instead of HC during his lay off, so that he comes out all guns blazing in clay season. 
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1177 on: March 16, 2013, 02:47 AM »

So he will only ever do well in those tournaments? I want him to move forward in other tournaments too.

Let's hope he was just training predominately on clay instead of HC during his lay off, so that he comes out all guns blazing in clay season. 

I'd love to see Andy kick ass on the dirt. I hope he will suprise us during CC season, its a time of year where he has the least pressure so would be nice to see him in a masters final and RG semi at least.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1178 on: March 16, 2013, 02:51 AM »

It's hard to put a positive spin on what was quite a capitulation in the end, i see people talking about court speeds and this isn't his favourite tournament etc but the reality is much different, we're talking about a guy who is capable of beating everybody else on the tour but at times puts in performances like he was ranked outside the top 30.

What was the training block in Miami for? five whole weeks to work on what exactly? i saw nothing in this event to indicate any improvment, in fact he seems to have gone backwards.

I supoort this guy 100% but let's be honest the same old problems still persist.

He has problems taking control of matches, he is prone to slow starts and is also prone to level dropping in the second set.

He has recently become a better 5 set player than a 3 set player, before he won a slam it was the opposite.

He struggles at times to dominate lower ranked players.

He has now mentioned that players up their game against him because he is a slam winner, really? no **** sherlock try being Djokovic, Nadal or Federer then

He does not adjust quickly enough to his environment, he gets distracted by the mundane, feathers, shadows and now it seems excessive grunting.

All in all i think he has no direction right now, he is trying to evolve into an aggresive player but he does not seem comfortable with it at times, he should switch back to variety which in my opinion was where he excelled, be aggresive against players he needs to be like Nadal or Federer, play percentage tennis and conservatively against heavy hitters, mix it up a bit i really don't know why he has become so one dimensional lately.

To sum it up, the difference right now between him and Novak can be summed up by looking at Novaks midnight match against Querrey. If that was Andy playing Querrey, Andy would have most likely lost due to the inconvenience, we saw how Andy was when he had to switch courts at the US open, for the love of god stop with the "everything has to be perfect for me to win" attitude and just deal with things.

I hope Lendl has words with him this weekend and tells him some honest truths.
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1179 on: March 16, 2013, 02:56 AM »

It's hard to put a positive spin on what was quite a capitulation in the end, i see people talking about court speeds and this isn't his favourite tournament etc but the reality is much different, we're talking about a guy who is capable of beating everybody else on the tour but at times puts in performances like he was ranked outside the top 30.

What was the training block in Miami for? five whole weeks to work on what exactly? i saw nothing in this event to indicate any improvment, in fact he seems to have gone backwards.

I supoort this guy 100% but let's be honest the same old problems still persist.

He has problems taking control of matches, he is prone to slow starts and is also prone to level dropping in the second set.

He has recently become a better 5 set player than a 3 set player, before he won a slam it was the opposite.

He has now mentioned that players up their game against him because he is a slam winner, really? no sh*t sherlock try being Djokovic, Nadal or Federer then

He does not adjust quickly enough to his environment, he gets distracted by the mundane, feathers, shadows and now it seems excessive grunting.

All in all i think he has no direction right now, he is trying to evolve into an aggresive player but he does not seem comfortable with it at times, he should switch back to variety which in my opinion was where he excelled, be aggresive against players he needs to be like Nadal or Federer, play percentage tennis and conservatively against heavy hitters, mix it up a bit i really don't know why he has become so one dimensional lately.

To sum it up, the difference right now between him and Novak can be summed up by looking at Novaks midnight match against Querrey. If that was Andy playing Querrey, Andy would have most likely lost due to the inconvenience, we saw how Andy was when he had to switch courts at the US open, for the love of god stop with the "everything has to be perfect for me to win" attitude and just deal with things.

Hard to argue with anything there. He seemed to have the right blend during Wimbledon and the Olympics, now he's hitting an absurd amount of errors in a 3 set match.
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1180 on: March 16, 2013, 03:02 AM »

Looking at it closer it seems Lendl is f**king with his game too much.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1181 on: March 16, 2013, 03:19 AM »

Looking at it closer it seems Lendl is f**king with his game too much.

I was actually thinking this the other day but maybe we are just feeling sorry for ourselves after such a frustrating defeat.

I think we all acknowledge that Andy is a temperamental player which must frustate the hell out of him never mind his fans, i just wish that like Novak it all just would click for him, just become the all round player and multi slam winner we know he could be.

But i am starting to feel like it's maybe asking too much for him, he has too many things going on in that head of his he quite literally blows hot to cold within the space of 2 tennis matches, consistancy is not one of of his strongest attributes.

We do need to take into account though that this is his 3rd tournament of the year and so far he has reached 2 finals winning 1 of them and a quarter final in one of his obvious not favourite tournaments, he also rebounded nicely in Miami last year after being knocked out of Indian Wells in the first match.

Knowing Andy this may just all be forgotten and he goes on to win Miami this year, it's just a huge shame he could not make it to the final and grab that number 2 ranking *grumble*

Sometimes this rollercoaster makes me feel so sick.

I really hope he starts winning some 1000 masters events again, this boy needs some confidence, thank god for Miami so he can turn it around.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1182 on: March 16, 2013, 03:20 AM »

He has now mentioned that players up their game against him because he is a slam winner, really? no sh*t sherlock try being Djokovic, Nadal or Federer then

I think the difference between Andy and Novak is consistency....Im not convinced Andy will ever be No1. I think he can and will win more majors.... but like you say...he is distracted from his game way to easily..And it sets him back alot as he strives for consistency.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1183 on: March 16, 2013, 03:33 AM »

My sentiments too Masaka.  As I said earlier we've no idea what he and Lendl have been working on or what Andy might have been trying to do here.  What does bother me though is that Andy seemed to be so firmly focussed on doing well in the clay-court season that maybe he just isn't all that interested in doing well here and in Miami, just so long as he gets a few matches under his belt before MC.  In fact I go so far as to say that after the first set, and without wishing to denigrate Delpo's performance, Andy didn't give me the impression that he was particularly fazed by the fact that his game had gone all pear-shaped, hence the rather bizarre capitulation.

[ Last edit by Aileen March 16, 2013, 03:59 AM ] IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1184 on: March 16, 2013, 03:50 AM »

I think Andy will be fine.  He is just getting back into it.  He just wasn’t up to being the giant killer we would have wished for this time. Overall was good, right? He did better at Indian Wells than he has in the past, which is an improvement.  Carry on Andy!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 ... 88 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »