Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Murray in 2. - 14 (33.3%)
Murray in 3. - 21 (50%)
Del Potro in 2. - 1 (2.4%)
Del Potro in 3. - 2 (4.8%)
Match postponed after Federer runs on and complains about raindrops. - 4 (9.5%)
Total Voters: 42

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 ... 88 Go Down Reply
Author

IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro

(Read 13847 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1185 on: March 16, 2013, 03:54 AM »

I think Andy will be fine.  He is just getting back into it.  He just wasn’t up to being the giant killer we would have wished for this time. Overall was good, right? He did better at Indian Wells than he has in the past, which is an improvement.  Carry on Andy!
Yes but the trouble is that some people just pick on the bad bits and chew them over and over so that the good bits fade very quickly from the memory.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1186 on: March 16, 2013, 04:04 AM »

I know, it's hard. We'd all like to see perfection every time!  Smile
'night.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1187 on: March 16, 2013, 06:34 AM »

I am just delighted that he has got this far at IW.  Most of the players in the past did not do as well as him after winning their first slam and as I have said before no-one ever reached a final at the next slam.  Even Nole cannot win them all.  What about Cincy last year and the Olympics.

Sometimes I wonder if we are all actually Andy fans as we put so much pressure on him.

Onwards and upwards.  He has so little to defend in Europe.  I hope he does not win Queens as the saying goes 'those who win Queens do not win Wimbledon'. This saying has been around for ever my aunt says and she is now 90.

I think that Lendl and Andy have been perfecting some strokes that he does not like to use but is perfectly capable of doing ie: the forehand.  This sort of thing takes time to bed as it cannot be used to full effect in practice.  I am sure they know what they are doing and the slams are still their main target as it is with all the top players.  I felt he was coming to the net more etc.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1188 on: March 16, 2013, 06:41 AM »

I have just flipped back through this and I do not usually complain about peoples opinions but does Gangstamurray have to be so foul?  If they do not like Andy or his play or expect perfection perhaps they should support another player such as Nole who incidently is not perfect.  We do not know what Andy was thinking etc.  I am sure he did not lose this match on purpose just to annoy his fans.  He is too much of a perfectionist.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1189 on: March 16, 2013, 07:08 AM »

Andy will never reach number 2.   He's too inconsistent.    Loses to the lower ranked players quite often.  Just appalled with his game   Miami and the clay season wont be any different   
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1190 on: March 16, 2013, 07:42 AM »

Not entirely unexpected this result, surely? Andy is rusty, and it's clear from the little I've seen and read, his form at this tournament has generally been poor with some flashes of genius.
JMDP is no pussy either for goodness sake.
Can I also remind people of  the widespread criticsm of Andy before Lendl came on board was that Andy's forehand was too weak to ever win slams. Now apparently that's compromised his movement. Rolling Eyes
Yes, Andy starts very slowly, is inconsistent, prone to lapses, easily distracted, too self-critical, unlikely to get double figure slams blahblah
He's unlikely to change
So honestly, if you can't cope with this, perhaps you should find another player, preferably perfect in every way,  to fulfill your fantasies.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1191 on: March 16, 2013, 07:57 AM »

Andy will never reach number 2.   He's too inconsistent.    Loses to the lower ranked players quite often.  Just appalled with his game   Miami and the clay season wont be any different   

What like Tsonga, Ferrer, Del Potro, Berdych, or any of the other 97 players in the top 100?

Personally I think this week has been about the fact that like Lendl he simply doesn't like this tournament and the next stage in his development. If not he at least knows he has tried. If he hadn't tried new things he would never have got his GS or Gold.

This is Murray - take him or leave him, but stop being so unreasonable.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1192 on: March 16, 2013, 07:57 AM »

A week ago we were all worried about the first round and would have taken the quarters, yes it appears he's trying new stuff lets take a deep breath and give him a break. Yes I am monumentally disappointed but some points gained on fed.  Onwards and upwards.
[ Last edit by Tessie March 16, 2013, 08:02 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1193 on: March 16, 2013, 08:02 AM »

Good posting!
This is Murray - take him or leave him, but stop being so unreasonable.

Right on clap
IP Logged
Simone

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1194 on: March 16, 2013, 08:02 AM »

I watched the match and was obviously dissapointed about the way it went. I can completely understand why people get frustrated watching a match like that.
However, after you calm down and go about the rest of your day it's so much easier to put it all into perspective. Andy was VERY rusty from the beginning  of the tournament and he was playing someone who is extremely match fit and confident at the moment. Quite a big disparity there!

I may be completely way off base here but I really think, even though he says that it doesn't affect him at all, he struggles w/o Lendl around (yes he won the Olympics without him but the Olympic spirit and experience came into play there).
I also have a sneaking suspicion that even though he says he would wants to work on his consistency, I really think the Grand Slams do it for him in a big way and really is focussed on that.
Also, he really didn't like the court conditions at all this week, was obvious every time he played he looked very uncomfortable.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1195 on: March 16, 2013, 08:07 AM »

Delpo was just pushing the ball. Murray just handed the match to Delpo on a plate tbh Murray was just utter crap, 8 dfs. That's  Sharapova - esque
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1196 on: March 16, 2013, 08:11 AM »

Like others, I'm convinced Andy was using this match to try new patterns of play which would account for the unusually high number of unforced errors.  He also had an unusually high number of winners.  Have faith, Andy is too good a player to be worried about a quarter final loss to a player of Delpo' s calibre.  I don't think Djokovic will have it all his own way with Delpo either - Tsonga looked beaten from the start, Delpo will be a different story I'm sure.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1197 on: March 16, 2013, 08:13 AM »

Andy will never reach number 2.   He's too inconsistent.    Loses to the lower ranked players quite often.  Just appalled with his game   Miami and the clay season wont be any different   

Yeah, he never has and never will reach number 2. Rolling Eyes

Silly child.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1198 on: March 16, 2013, 08:14 AM »

Not entirely unexpected this result, surely? Andy is rusty, and it's clear from the little I've seen and read, his form at this tournament has generally been poor with some flashes of genius.
JMDP is no pussy either for goodness sake.
Can I also remind people of  the widespread criticsm of Andy before Lendl came on board was that Andy's forehand was too weak to ever win slams. Now apparently that's compromised his movement. Rolling Eyes
Yes, Andy starts very slowly, is inconsistent, prone to lapses, easily distracted, too self-critical, unlikely to get double figure slams blahblah
He's unlikely to change
So honestly, if you can't cope with this, perhaps you should find another player, preferably perfect in every way,  to fulfill your fantasies.
Well said. Some people need to get real. Just admit that Andy ran out of steam to a player who was playing at the top of his game. The first set showed us the fighter that Andy is.
Remember Nole lost to Del Po in the Olympics.
Give Andy credit for his effort and some wonderful play, and that Del Po was the better player in these conditions.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1199 on: March 16, 2013, 08:20 AM »

Delpo was just pushing the ball. Murray just handed the match to Delpo on a plate tbh Murray was just utter crap, 8 dfs. That's  Sharapova - esque
Grow up and get real. I have seen you spouting this rubbish before, and then Andy has shown you the next time how wrong you are. You seem to me either to be on a high or in the dumps and what you write on the site shows this.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 ... 88 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »