Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Murray in 2. - 14 (33.3%)
Murray in 3. - 21 (50%)
Del Potro in 2. - 1 (2.4%)
Del Potro in 3. - 2 (4.8%)
Match postponed after Federer runs on and complains about raindrops. - 4 (9.5%)
Total Voters: 42

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 Go Down Reply
Author

IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro

(Read 12419 times)
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1245 on: March 16, 2013, 03:54 PM »

well said "sidtypical"
Thanks Bubbles !
It occurs to me that if my footie team had a fan's forum (no internet in them days - this place was just fields then...etc etc), I might  have had a few less miserable weeks !
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1246 on: March 16, 2013, 03:57 PM »

If we were all positive, we may as well have rainbows and ponies in our mind because the harsh reality is, we are going to get negative once in a while about Andy's performances.

That's absolutely fair enough Gangsta - and this is the place to do it.

'rainbows and ponies..' roflmao
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1247 on: March 16, 2013, 04:02 PM »

I don't consider myself to be too negative as some on here but one of my posts had one line of text quoted and that person decided to turn it into a dissertation on how i and some others think Murray is a crap player. I am not going to lie, I don't just support andy because he is British i support him because i know what he is capable of, and i spend half my time when he loses going onto forums to have my say against all the bile that gets spouted about him.

This one defeat has already got people thinking that all of a sudden he is not a part of the big 4 and that Delpo is more worthy of that position, the fragile state of some fans of tennis is astoundingly childish at times yet at no point do i come on these forums and say things like "OMFG ANDY MURRAY IS CRAP WHAT A CHOKER LOLOLOL FAIL"

There is a huge difference in being critical of one of his performances to thinking that he is a crap player and not worthy of support, i stand by what i said about Lendl having words with him, because that is exactly why Lendl was hired in the first place, he wants it laid down in front of him where he thinks it went wrong and what he can do to change it in the future.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1248 on: March 16, 2013, 04:05 PM »

It's encouraging that he's done better than last year, and the year before... but he's also been a Finalist too, beating Fed in SF then losing to Rafa in 2009. The conditions didn't seem to be a problem then.

Onwards and upwards, Andy.

Might that simply be because the way he plays now is different to how he played in 09? Hence what suited him then by way of conditions is very different to now. You wouldn't expect a Formula 1 car to manage a farm track would you?

I have just about learnt to accept that much of the negativity during matches is just the heat of the moment. It's the armchair experts that make such unpleasant comments after a match that still get to me, both here and on the Daily Mail website that get to me. I just don't think people should be so critical about something or somebody that in actuality they know sod all about.  Non of us here know what Murray and Lendl have been working on or what's going on on his life.

Murray seems to put his heart and soul into what he is doing. If he wants to be critical about himself or his performance that's fine. Equally appointing Lendl gives Lendl that right.

I think it's time to agree to disagree. As I have said before I think Murray has got what he deserved - ie the Grand Slam trophy he coveted. The Gold Medal was I suspect a delightful and somewhat unexpected bonus.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1249 on: March 16, 2013, 04:06 PM »

If we were all positive, we may as well have rainbows and ponies in our mind because the harsh reality is, we are going to get negative once in a while about Andy's performances.

It's not that we wear "Murray tinted spectacles" and think he can do no wrong, it's about applying objectivity and acknowledging there will be times when his performances are below par and when he will lose.  However, daft knee jerk reactions like "he'll never get to No. 2 in the world", he's not good enough to beat ND, RN, RF etc" are what heighten anxiety as we all have a vested emotional interest in this young guy.  He is a superb sportsman, genuine, humble with a tortured genius streak and he is one of the most talented players to ever have played the sport, however he is HUMAN and there in lies the problem.  For me once an Andy fan, forever an Andy fan and I will be until the day he retires but there are and will be losses along the way but there will also be plenty of highs too.  One loss does not mean his career is on the wane, it just means "bad day at the office" better days to come.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1250 on: March 16, 2013, 04:07 PM »

It's not that we wear "Murray tinted spectacles" and think he can do no wrong, it's about applying objectivity and acknowledging there will be times when his performances are below par and when he will lose.  However, daft knee jerk reactions like "he'll never get to No. 2 in the world", he's not good enough to beat ND, RN, RF etc" are what heighten anxiety as we all have a vested emotional interest in this young guy.  He is a superb sportsman, genuine, humble with a tortured genius streak and he is one of the most talented players to ever have played the sport, however he is HUMAN and there in lies the problem.  For me once an Andy fan, forever an Andy fan and I will be until the day he retires but there are and will be losses along the way but there will also be plenty of highs too.  One loss does not mean his career is on the wane, it just means "bad day at the office" better days to come.

I utterly hate it when people say Murray can't beat those three.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1251 on: March 16, 2013, 04:07 PM »

Did you think my post was negative, Masaka?
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1252 on: March 16, 2013, 04:09 PM »

I wasn't being negative yesterday, I was ust trying to urge him on by heightening the mood. Telepathy and all.
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1253 on: March 16, 2013, 04:12 PM »

I wasn't being negative yesterday, I was ust trying to urge him on by heightening the mood. Telepathy and all.

It's got to be worth a try !
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1254 on: March 16, 2013, 04:23 PM »

I see the ABM brigade are out in full force on the Daily Mail article. Clueless about Tennis as usual.

Reading a tabloid was the mistake there then... Smile
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1255 on: March 16, 2013, 04:27 PM »

Did you think my post was negative, Masaka?

No I think it was balanced and reasonable. You quoted what Murray himself sad, and pointed out he didn't used to have a problem with the conditions . My response to that was to pose a possible explanation as to why. I was interested in what you thought.

I don't have a problem with anybody saying he didn't play particularly well yesterday.  That is a simple statement of fact. I don't have a problem with people making suggestions as to why. I don't particularly have a problem with Gangsta's Scotish B*stard comment. Heat of the moment, foot in mouth, ill thought out comment. Apology given. Filed in Mr M's "Anyone but England"  daft comments people shouldn't have made file.

I did have an issue with Gnome's comment  that Lendl should have words with him. Although having read Gnome's response I probably misinterpretated the meaning for which I apologise. Overall though I do think the post was OTT, and I don't agree with most of it.  That's why I said we need to agree to disagree.

I swore I would keep away from these overheated post mortems. I have failed.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1256 on: March 16, 2013, 04:28 PM »

Reading a tabloid was the mistake there then... Smile

I read all papers, tabloid or broadsheet lol. I have no doubt posh upper class reading The Times, Guardian, Independent etc are ABM too.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1257 on: March 16, 2013, 04:35 PM »

I read all papers, tabloid or broadsheet lol. I have no doubt posh upper class reading The Times, Guardian, Independent etc are ABM too.

I do to.  The papers are my guilty pleasure.  I read your comments on the DMV site with interest. I am there as Buzz from Stoke. Taking the cats name in vain will probably get me into more trouble than some of my responses on here. Thankfully the comments on the days football and rugby will consign Murray's match to history very soon.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1258 on: March 16, 2013, 04:41 PM »

Yeah but correct spelling makes it all better ... lol
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1259 on: March 16, 2013, 05:06 PM »

Just got back from a trip to Sheffield, which meant I didn't watch the match as I knew I had to get up early.  Sitting on the train I was reflecting on how, while there's part of me that would love Andy to be a serial winner, the fact is he isn't.  And therefore I have either to accept that or start supporting someone else who is or could be.  But that would really be shooting myself in the foot wouldn't it? Why opt for the boring security of an automaton over the lurching highs and lows of following Andy?  But having taken that decision I have to accept there will be times when Andy doesn't do himself justice and it sounds like this was one of those times - whether it be because of match rustiness, the conditions or whatever.   I realise how easy it is to invest too much emotionally in him and then turn on him when he doesn't live up to expectations.  And I fear that's what some of us do.

So I was so pleased to see that some of these sentiments have already been expressed by the likes of MM, Masaka, bbh and tj.  And that it looks like the more philosophical, accepting posts outweigh those castigating Andy for not being the tennis player they want him to be.  It reminds why I'm so pleased to have discovered MW 3 years ago when Andy was in a deep trough. And look what he's achieved since then. If you'd told me when he was booed off court at Monte Carlo that he would go on to win Olympic Gold and USO two years later, I'd have bitten your hand off for that.   So thanks to all of you who keep the flag flying and cling on to the roller coaster come what may.  hug

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »