Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Murray in 2. - 14 (33.3%)
Murray in 3. - 21 (50%)
Del Potro in 2. - 1 (2.4%)
Del Potro in 3. - 2 (4.8%)
Match postponed after Federer runs on and complains about raindrops. - 4 (9.5%)
Total Voters: 42

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 Go Down Reply
Author

IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro

(Read 14349 times)
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1260 on: March 16, 2013, 05:20 PM »

Good posting!
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1261 on: March 16, 2013, 05:46 PM »

I think Andy had a reasonable tournament...his play flirted between great and poor. He entered the tourno without competitive match play...and the wins that provide confidence in your game. He obviously struggles with the court conditions of this tournament ..his results reflect that over the years. Miami ...I expect improved performances from Andy. Its a court better suited to his game play. That said, if he doesn't achieve the final there I think its fair to say his form isn't where it needs to be to seriously challenge a Djoko or Nadal...particularly as he is about to enter his least favored surface, in clay.

His play, I felt,  was one dimensional against Del Potro, which, if that is how Lendl is telling him to play isn't gonna win him much. Andys' strength is in speed and variety and with occasional aggression against the top guys he will win more majors I believe.  I thought that was the best performance from Del Potro since he won the USOpen in '09.... and the folks that slated Andy's performance should remember Del Potro also achieved a grand slam...the US Open...just like Andy. Is the loss that surprising? ...when also considering this is a Masters event and not slam. I think Djoko will go on and win the event now. He is the player everyone has to beat to win.

On a side note....the amount of posts that adopt a condescending mindset to belittle other posters is just as predictable as any negative posts. Striking a balance would be great. At the end of the day its just a tennis forum .... none of us are mates ..its just opinions..of which some overstep the line of decency. The joys of a net forum Wink
  Good post. Having mulled the outcome, I don't think Andy will be too upset about where he is right now, moving on towards Miami and beyond.
IP Logged
audie
Futures Level

my guilty ppleasure

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1262 on: March 16, 2013, 05:53 PM »

i just dont think andy was feeling right yesterday ,one cause he had a relielf break and i have hardly ever seen him do this .i know he did at the us open.
i did think he wasnt looking to good  yesterday maybe the heat  or just an off day for him .everyone gets days when they not quite 100% ,after all we are all human
all i can is well done for getting that far andy in a tourament where you seem to be jinxed ,,
i will still be routing for you at the next one ,and by the way i only had 3 hrs sleep cause of you andy .yes i know my choice to stay up and watch . things can only get better
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1263 on: March 16, 2013, 06:21 PM »

It's encouraging that he's done better than last year, and the year before... but he's also been a Finalist too, beating Fed in SF then losing to Rafa in 2009. The conditions didn't seem to be a problem then.

That's because Andy didn't play a very aggressive game against either back then. He played the game Del Potro played yesterday. The main reason why Andy lost the match yesterday is because he played the wrong type of game on a very slow surface. And his aggressiveness wasn't necessarily towards the surface but more towards his opponent, because in the previous rounds, he wasn't very aggressive that kept him in control of the match. Del Potro won yesterday strictly because of this reason. Andy's all three opponents in the previous rounds were far more aggressive than Andy and took it to him and it caused them more errors than Andy. Andy was the opposite against Del Potro hence more errors on is part.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1264 on: March 16, 2013, 06:34 PM »

It's not that we wear "Murray tinted spectacles" and think he can do no wrong, it's about applying objectivity and acknowledging there will be times when his performances are below par and when he will lose.  However, daft knee jerk reactions like "he'll never get to No. 2 in the world", he's not good enough to beat ND, RN, RF etc" are what heighten anxiety as we all have a vested emotional interest in this young guy.  He is a superb sportsman, genuine, humble with a tortured genius streak and he is one of the most talented players to ever have played the sport, however he is HUMAN and there in lies the problem.  For me once an Andy fan, forever an Andy fan and I will be until the day he retires but there are and will be losses along the way but there will also be plenty of highs too.  One loss does not mean his career is on the wane, it just means "bad day at the office" better days to come.

Great post, I couldn't agree more.

I must admit I had a little smile at some of the comments here today. 'He'll never get to 2 in the world', 'He's not good enough to beat Djokovic, Nadal, Federer', and, of course, 'he'll never be as good as Djokovic, Nadal and Federer'. I think some of us must have short memories and a crystal ball, because Andy has been 2 in the world. He has beaten Djokovic, Nadal and Federer many times, and as for how good he will be in the future, who really knows? Not so very long ago Tim Henman was suggesting in an interview that he believes that Andy will ultimately be better than Djokovic, so there we are. We'll see.

I just feel it is easy to over analyse one loss. Andy has lost two matches so far this year. Just two. I seem to remember someone here saying the other day that this is one of Andy's best starts to a year in his career to date. That's not bad, and it doesn't vanish just because he lost to Delpo, and neither does it mean that Delpo is suddenly going to start winning all over the place and overtaking Andy in the rankings. I seem to remember a certain player going out of the AO very early, and I'll give you a clue, it wasn't Andy.

Personally I think Andy just went on a mental walkabout after the first set yesterday. In the first set he seemed to be mixing it up quite well, keeping Delpo guessing and making him run. Sure, he didn't break him until the tie-break, which he won convincingly, but it felt like he'd got himself into a nice rhythm, and for my money, played the best he'd played all week. In the first, after he'd got into his stride, Andy served superbly.

After the toilet break he just wasn't the same. He started to use an approach of hit the ball and if that doesn't work hit it harder, which seemed to play in to Delpo's hands. I also noticed that as it began to go wrong Andy seemed to play faster, when if anything I felt he just needed to slow down a bit, make Delpo think about it. It just suggested that Andy was no longer thinking clearly, just reacting, which can be a good thing, but can also be a problem. If Andy had been mentally engaged I think he would have seen where he had gone wrong and would have tried to right the ship. What I think he actually did was play Delpo in to a nice rhythm.

The good thing about yesterday was that Andy didn't waste time and energy berating himself when it went wrong. I hope he has the good sense to see that it was just a bad day at the office. I hope he can take some confidence from the week, because he did get further at IW than he has since 2010, and he lost to someone who has played a lot recently. What I hope he does not do is alter his plans for the year too much now. I still think he was right to have that off time at this point in the year. I'm certain it will help later.
IP Logged
audie
Futures Level

my guilty ppleasure

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1265 on: March 16, 2013, 08:41 PM »

anyone know if there is a miami thread yet and if andy playing and when now it starts the 18th march
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1266 on: March 16, 2013, 08:51 PM »

anyone know if there is a miami thread yet and if andy playing and when now it starts the 18th march

Andy prob won't play till Fri or sat I'm assuming Audie, as even Novak isn't scheduled to play till Friday night, they will have qualifiers first then Top players usually get a bye in first round.
IP Logged
audie
Futures Level

my guilty ppleasure

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1267 on: March 16, 2013, 08:55 PM »

ah thats great  working all this week then i got the following week off so can stay up if i need to yayyyyyyyyyyy
thank you angie
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1268 on: March 16, 2013, 09:03 PM »

No probs I'm pleased it works out well for you, if Andy manages to make semis or final they will be played over easter weekend so that's good also.
IP Logged
audie
Futures Level

my guilty ppleasure

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1269 on: March 16, 2013, 09:16 PM »

No probs I'm pleased it works out well for you, if Andy manages to make semis or final they will be played over easter weekend so that's good also.

yes that will be brilliant
now just need to find out the time difference  lol
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1270 on: March 16, 2013, 09:25 PM »

Same as Indian wells I think give or take an hour maybe...
IP Logged
audie
Futures Level

my guilty ppleasure

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1271 on: March 16, 2013, 09:43 PM »

Same as Indian wells I think give or take an hour maybe...

** quickly runs off to check*
IP Logged
audie
Futures Level

my guilty ppleasure

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1272 on: March 16, 2013, 09:46 PM »

** quickly runs off to check*
phew  runs back
time in miami is now 5.45pm . so 5 hrs ahead unless i got it wrong
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1273 on: March 16, 2013, 10:01 PM »

That's even better then Smile
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1274 on: March 16, 2013, 10:06 PM »

Coming very late to this thread, and haven't read it all of it. Watched most of the match but had work this morning so left it at 1-3 in the third.

I can't imagine doing anything energetic in 35 degrees, so found it quite painful to watch. But loved Andy's 1st set serving percentage, and some great points at the net. Presumably there weren't too many "too passive" posts here. Pity about sets 2 and 3 though.

I don't know much about tennis, but think a bit of inconsistency is healthy for the game. It's depressing watching players so in awe of Djoko - like Dimitrov with his 4 double faults when serving for the set. Didn't see the Tsonga match. Hope Delpo can keep the pressure up tonight, but a big ask after a gruelling match yesterday.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »