Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Murray in 2. - 14 (33.3%)
Murray in 3. - 21 (50%)
Del Potro in 2. - 1 (2.4%)
Del Potro in 3. - 2 (4.8%)
Match postponed after Federer runs on and complains about raindrops. - 4 (9.5%)
Total Voters: 42

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 [87] 88 Go Down Reply
Author

IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro

(Read 13254 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1290 on: March 17, 2013, 02:23 PM »

I believe by God if you beat my guy you better be good enough to win the whole thing, so I'm rooting for Delpotro. He had nole talking to himself and shaking his head. And if you compare the stats they were somewhat similar to Andy's match except for the df's. UE's were 40 nole to 34..

Btw the doubles winners were the team that knocked Andy and Jaimie out.

They were runners up, The Bryan Brothers won unfortunately.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1291 on: March 17, 2013, 02:24 PM »

They were runners up, The Bryan Brothers won unfortunately.

The Bros. dominate everything.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1292 on: March 17, 2013, 02:35 PM »

Unfortunately.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1293 on: March 17, 2013, 02:41 PM »

There was an incident with the B's that went all over the web, but got immediately hushed up, like some secret service operation.
One of them is said to have actually assaulted an umpire.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1294 on: March 17, 2013, 03:33 PM »

Thinking about it and putting the conditions to one side, Delpo's victory over Novak is much more credible than his victory over Andy considering that Andy hasn't played him since 2009 but Nole has had quite a few matches with him of late including most recently in Dubai.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1295 on: March 17, 2013, 03:49 PM »

There was an incident with the B's that went all over the web, but got immediately hushed up, like some secret service operation.
One of them is said to have actually assaulted an umpire.
  shocking
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1296 on: March 17, 2013, 03:50 PM »

Thinking about it and putting the conditions to one side, Delpo's victory over Novak is much more credible than his victory over Andy considering that Andy hasn't played him since 2009 but Nole has had quite a few matches with him of late including most recently in Dubai.
Yes agree I was sooo surprised.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1297 on: March 17, 2013, 04:10 PM »

Now perhaps those who were so critical of Andy will feel a little shame. When a player like Del Po is playing as he is and match fit even the best will lose. As to hoping Lendl would give Andy a talking to, giving him a few home truths, their wishes will never be answered as Lendl knows the greatest critic of his game is Andy himself and he will look at the positives as well as looking at the points in the game where he could have used a different tactic. The two of them know the areas they have been working on and that they take time to bed in. I would suggest seeing how often Andy came into the net has been one of those areas and he was very successful when you look at the statistics of the match.
I will as I said be cheering on Del Po as he has never won a Masters.
Please. Let's not kid ourselves. Andy was disastrous in that last set. Del Potro's performance yesterday doesn't change that. He wasn't unbeatable on Friday. Andy was just poor, first set aside. Which is what made it the more frustrating, considering he played pretty well in the first set then seemed to fall apart by the third.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1298 on: March 17, 2013, 04:12 PM »

First time they've won here.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1299 on: March 17, 2013, 04:45 PM »

First time they've won here.

Really? That's surprising seen as its on home soil. That means now they are champions of all the Masters 1000's am I right in thinking.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1300 on: March 17, 2013, 05:12 PM »

He had nole talking to himself and shaking his head.

I noticed the head shaking and talking to himself. I also noticed the lack of a five minute commentary lecture on Novak's court demeanour, which is what we would have been 'treated' to if Andy had been shaking his head like that.

Another thought I had was that Novak looked ever so slightly relieved when the match was over, as if he was not too sorry to lose one.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1301 on: March 17, 2013, 05:18 PM »

Please. Let's not kid ourselves. Andy was disastrous in that last set. Del Potro's performance yesterday doesn't change that. He wasn't unbeatable on Friday. Andy was just poor, first set aside. Which is what made it the more frustrating, considering he played pretty well in the first set then seemed to fall apart by the third.

He wasn't unbeatable yesterday either. The thing is people were saying that losing after winning the first set only ever happens to Andy and not the other top players. Yesterday proved that isn't true. Everybody has bad days.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1302 on: March 17, 2013, 06:02 PM »

Thought you all might like to see a small piece in the Telegraph today by Alix Ramsay.
'As Andy Murray surveys the bigger picture, one scrappy defeat in the Californian desert is less than a smudge in the landscape. He has Wimbledon and the French Open in his vision and they are pinpoint sharp in his field of vision.
Murray's defeat in the quarterfinals in IW was disappointing but he thought it was to be expected. He had not played a tournament since the AO, opting instead to devote his time to physical training and practice. With the clay court season looming and two Grand slams to deal with in the space of six weeks in May and June, he wanted to be in peak condition for the future challenges. If that left him a little ring rusty for his visit to Indian Wells and Miami, then so be it.
'A hundred percent I would take that break again,' he said. 'You have to look further down the road sometimes and not just focus on one event. The tour is extremely hard and physical and I hope by taking a break now - I wasn't expecting to play perfect tennis this week or play my best - when I get to French Open,Wimbledon time, hopefully I'll be a bit fresher than I have been in the past few years.' Losing to JMdelP may actually have done Murray a bit of a favour. His form has ben patchy all week but he had still been winning agaunst the lower ranked men. Taking on the world No.7 was his first test and it showed him exactly what he had to tweak before the start of the Sony Open this week in Miami. It also meant he could get to Floridia a little earlier than expected and have a few more days to adapt to the slow humid conditions. ,
'The first few days practising, it does feel unbelievably slow,' he said 'The balls here in the desert are so fast through the air and the last few years I haven'tg really felt comfortable with it. But I needed matches like today against Juan , I needed to play a match like today just to see the things I need to tighten up on so that hopefully next week if I get the opportunity to play Juan or Rafa or Novak in Miami, then I'll hopefully play a better match.'

Seems to look at things from a different aspect and lets hope he has mor success in Miami.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1303 on: March 17, 2013, 08:28 PM »

I noticed the head shaking and talking to himself. I also noticed the lack of a five minute commentary lecture on Novak's court demeanour, which is what we would have been 'treated' to if Andy had been shaking his head like that.

Another thought I had was that Novak looked ever so slightly relieved when the match was over, as if he was not too sorry to lose one.
you know tj I was thinking exactly the same thing.  I think going on an unbeaten streak becomes its own monkey on the back and I'm not sure Nole was too sorry to break it  to someone who isn't one of his close rivals.

oh and Jan thanks for posting that.  I saw a link on another thread and it made me feel so much better about Andy's defeat.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1304 on: March 17, 2013, 08:38 PM »

Thanks Janscribe , like Ruthie feel better hearing what he had to say, and that Delpo beat Djoker too.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 [87] 88 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »