Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Murray in 2. - 14 (33.3%)
Murray in 3. - 21 (50%)
Del Potro in 2. - 1 (2.4%)
Del Potro in 3. - 2 (4.8%)
Match postponed after Federer runs on and complains about raindrops. - 4 (9.5%)
Total Voters: 42

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 [88] Go Down Reply
Author

IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro

(Read 14335 times)
audie
Futures Level

my guilty ppleasure

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1305 on: March 17, 2013, 08:53 PM »

Thought you all might like to see a small piece in the Telegraph today by Alix Ramsay.
'As Andy Murray surveys the bigger picture, one scrappy defeat in the Californian desert is less than a smudge in the landscape. He has Wimbledon and the French Open in his vision and they are pinpoint sharp in his field of vision.
Murray's defeat in the quarterfinals in IW was disappointing but he thought it was to be expected. He had not played a tournament since the AO, opting instead to devote his time to physical training and practice. With the clay court season looming and two Grand slams to deal with in the space of six weeks in May and June, he wanted to be in peak condition for the future challenges. If that left him a little ring rusty for his visit to Indian Wells and Miami, then so be it.
'A hundred percent I would take that break again,' he said. 'You have to look further down the road sometimes and not just focus on one event. The tour is extremely hard and physical and I hope by taking a break now - I wasn't expecting to play perfect tennis this week or play my best - when I get to French Open,Wimbledon time, hopefully I'll be a bit fresher than I have been in the past few years.' Losing to JMdelP may actually have done Murray a bit of a favour. His form has ben patchy all week but he had still been winning agaunst the lower ranked men. Taking on the world No.7 was his first test and it showed him exactly what he had to tweak before the start of the Sony Open this week in Miami. It also meant he could get to Floridia a little earlier than expected and have a few more days to adapt to the slow humid conditions. ,
'The first few days practising, it does feel unbelievably slow,' he said 'The balls here in the desert are so fast through the air and the last few years I haven'tg really felt comfortable with it. But I needed matches like today against Juan , I needed to play a match like today just to see the things I need to tighten up on so that hopefully next week if I get the opportunity to play Juan or Rafa or Novak in Miami, then I'll hopefully play a better match.'

Seems to look at things from a different aspect and lets hope he has mor success in Miami.

thank you  .maybe as the old wives tale says method in the madness lol
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1306 on: March 18, 2013, 08:32 AM »

He wasn't unbeatable yesterday either. The thing is people were saying that losing after winning the first set only ever happens to Andy and not the other top players. Yesterday proved that isn't true. Everybody has bad days.
I was scared to come on here all weekend, fully expecting melodrama and no perspective. 

It's a shame that a top player like Delpo has to also beat Novak before people can accept that he was playing well, and that sometimes lower ranked players win.  The conditions here suited him, and is probably the hard-court Masters he had the best chance of winning, and he's a very good player, so being beaten by him shouldn't ever be a disaster. 

As much as I wanted Andy to win that match and the whole tournament, having been beaten, I was hoping that Delpo would claim his first Masters, and it's going to be a bigger disappointment for him that he got so close in what might have been his best ever chance.   Andy knows he has a good chance to do well next week and the surface there suits him better etc.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1307 on: March 18, 2013, 12:03 PM »

now isn't that sad sparkle that you felt scared to come on [not having a dig at you but at those who might make it feel unsafe].   I hope there are enough of us who share your perspective to make it a safe home after a defeat or at least safe enough!  Whistle
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1308 on: March 18, 2013, 02:46 PM »

Nobody should be "scared"....but do think u have to be tough and wary,  to survive the maelstrom that is the internet.
Would never be without it now, though thumb up
Am always gob-smacked though, at how much personal stuff people reveal.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1309 on: March 18, 2013, 03:36 PM »

Please. Let's not kid ourselves. Andy was disastrous in that last set. Del Potro's performance yesterday doesn't change that. He wasn't unbeatable on Friday. Andy was just poor, first set aside. Which is what made it the more frustrating, considering he played pretty well in the first set then seemed to fall apart by the third.

I don't think even Nadal yesterday was unbeatable. Del Po missed some sitters at critical moments that would have had him win in 2 straight sets.... that the fine line tho....nobody on the cct is unbeatable.
Andy has never done well in IW was no real shock him losing....he had a decent tourno tho..considering his break in Miami. His play was occasionally great but mostly filled with uncharacteristic mistakes.

I think the upcoming clay season will give us a very good idea where Andy is at in both his development and form. If he can win a comp on clay and perhaps reach the FOpen final...that augers well for the 2 slams we know he can do well in W & US Open.

I think its way too early to start emphasizing how poor he was in a few matches tho. Id say he will put some external pressure on himself if he doesn't play and win better in Miami tho. No Nadal ..No Fed + a Del Po that is probably mentally spent from IW.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1310 on: March 18, 2013, 05:17 PM »

The Delpo we saw at Indian Wells looked exactly to me like the Delpo that won the US Open.  He was very close to beating Andy, Joker and Rafa in the same tournament which is almost unbelieveable. His baseline game looks on a par with these guys but he has the added bonus of a phenomenally powerful forehand and a huge serve. So calling him one-dimensional is a bit unfair. If he keeps this up we definetly have a big 5 and the other guys will have to work out how to beat him. Not easy and with his power maybe he can even get to number 1.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1311 on: March 18, 2013, 05:23 PM »

^ agree, he's bound to replace Fed, I'd a thought.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1312 on: March 18, 2013, 08:19 PM »

If anyone wants real reassurance as to Andy's performance at IW this year, you should check out last years match thread when he dive-bombed out in his opening match to Garcia-Lopez 6-4 6-2.

Leaps and bounds since then.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1313 on: March 18, 2013, 09:42 PM »

http://www.changeovertennis.com/stray-shots-when-a-great-plan-doesnt-work-rules-that-the-pros-dont-know-and-more/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=stray-shots-when-a-great-plan-doesnt-work-rules-that-the-pros-dont-know-and-more
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1314 on: March 18, 2013, 09:49 PM »

what an interesting article dani.

IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1315 on: March 18, 2013, 10:01 PM »

Thanks Dani, that's a really interesting article.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: IW QF: Murray vs Del Potro « Reply #1316 on: March 19, 2013, 08:17 AM »

Nobody should be "scared"....but do think u have to be tough and wary,  to survive the maelstrom that is the internet.
"Scared" was probably a bit over the top, but I guessed there would be much gnashing of teeth, and I'd rather do without it. Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 [88] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »