Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 Go Down Reply
Author

IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez

(Read 5815 times)
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Koala's are cute and cuddly

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #375 on: March 11, 2012, 08:09 AM »

Of course he wanted to win Dubai!  What I'm saying is that his loss therefore had a greater psychological effect on him than seemed apparent at the time.

And you could be right Aileen a post Dubai mini slump rather than a post AO 2012 semifinal slump. Lets see what happens in Miami before we infer any correlation between his Dubai final loss and his pre Paris season.  I think i have raised this point i am going to make on an earlier thread. Sometimes what a person exhibits behaviourally outside may not always reflect what the person is feeling inside.
[ Last edit by psychological tennis March 11, 2012, 08:13 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #376 on: March 11, 2012, 08:12 AM »

I thought at the time that it was a big mistake for Andy to play Dubai.  Certainly, it was great for him to post the wins against Berdych and Djokovic but he might well have lost to Berrer in the first round.  Andy takes longer than most to get over jet lag and adjust to new weather and playing conditions and having a bye in the first round didn't help - it was a pity he didn't get a chance to play a doubles match first.  I really hope that next year he goes to the US and stays there between the Aussie Open and Indian Wells and gives himself a chance to get used to the conditions there by playing a warm up tournament over there.
I think you could be right Alis, and I apologise for what I said earlier that Andy should be able to cope with jetlag twice in such a short space of time.  That said, he didn't play in Dubai last year, and look what happened.  Also I've just checked, and in 2009 Andy got to the QF in Dubai before succumbing to illness, yet managed to get to the final in IW.  All very strange.  
[ Last edit by Aileen March 11, 2012, 08:38 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #377 on: March 11, 2012, 08:19 AM »

And you could be right Aileen a post Dubai mini slump rather than a post AO 2012 semifinal slump. Lets see what happens in Miami before we infer any correlation between his Dubai final loss and his pre Paris season.  I think i have raised this point i am going to make on an earlier thread. Sometimes what a person exhibits behaviourally outside may not always reflect what the person is feeling inside.
Well it's now known from a member who was in Dubai that Andy threw his racquet on the ground in disgust when he went back to his seat after losing to Fed and sat there for a couple of  minutes looking very displeased with himself.  Also I felt that when he was chatting to Fed before the presentation his smile did look a little forced.

Hopefully Lendl manages to get him round the right way before Miami.

IP Logged
reef
Junior

coral reef

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #378 on: March 11, 2012, 08:25 AM »

Interesting posts and views.  I could not believe the news I woke up to - I genuinely did not think for a moment Andy would allow a repeat of last year's loss.  Many of the top players struggle in the first round but get through somehow - what is it with the brilliant but highly complex psyche of our man that creates these situations?  I personally believe he feared another early loss and nerves got the better of him which, much as I hate to say it, does not bode well for the ultimate goal.

I don't want to appear to negative - only realistic - but I can't bear the thought that he might be the most talented player ever not to win a Grand Slam.  There, I've said it so now go prove wrong Andy -
PLEASE!

I do wonder if there's anything even a Lendl can do to change the mindset?  His game is all there - apart from that magic ingredient called `consistency' which means on his day he is unbeatable but at other times he can go out with a whimper.

I thought it might take him 3 sets and it would be close (as in 1st match Dubai) but this is so disappointing - especially given the great opportunity of points tally.

Lastly, I too felt it was not a good idea to play Dubai but clearly he had his reasons.

SO hard being an Andy fan!
[ Last edit by reef March 11, 2012, 08:29 AM ] IP Logged
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Koala's are cute and cuddly

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #379 on: March 11, 2012, 08:27 AM »

Well it's now known from a member who was in Dubai that Andy threw his racquet on the ground in disgust when he went back to his seat after losing to Fed and sat there for a couple of  minutes looking very displeased with himself.  Also I felt that when he was chatting to Fed before the presentation his smile did look a little forced.

Hopefully Lendl manages to get him round the right way before Miami.

Thanks for that Info Aileen, i was unaware of these things you mentioned in your post. Lets indeed hope that "Lendl manages to get him round  the right way before Miami."
IP Logged
bes03_philippines
Satellite Level

game, set, match!

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #380 on: March 11, 2012, 08:42 AM »

One thing that I really hope comes out good of this loss is that he bounces back BIG TIME in Miami. He lost, nothing he can do about it now but stomach what just happened. I wish Lendl and Andy can also work on this kind of hiccups in his game.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #381 on: March 11, 2012, 08:45 AM »

Interesting posts and views.  I could not believe the news I woke up to - I genuinely did not think for a moment Andy would allow a repeat of last year's loss.  Many of the top players struggle in the first round but get through somehow - what is it with the brilliant but highly complex psyche of our man that creates these situations?  I personally believe he feared another early loss and nerves got the better of him which, much as I hate to say it, does not bode well for the ultimate goal.

I don't want to appear to negative - only realistic - but I can't bear the thought that he might be the most talented player ever not to win a Grand Slam.  There, I've said it so now go prove wrong Andy -
PLEASE!

I do wonder if there's anything even a Lendl can do to change the mindset?  His game is all there - apart from that magic ingredient called `consistency' which means on his day he is unbeatable but at other times he can go out with a whimper.

I thought it might take him 3 sets and it would be close (as in 1st match Dubai) but this is so disappointing - especially given the great opportunity of points tally.

Lastly, I too felt it was not a good idea to play Dubai but clearly he had his reasons.

Well Andy played in Dubai in 2009, where he got to the QF and then got to the final in IW.  I think he really does have to play a tournament before IW, but perhaps one in the US or S. America.  OK, so he wouldn't get the chance to play the top three, but, given what's a stake in IW, being match fit is probably of more benefit.
IP Logged
bes03_philippines
Satellite Level

game, set, match!

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #382 on: March 11, 2012, 08:48 AM »

Couldn't agree more. All the drama Smile
IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #383 on: March 11, 2012, 08:52 AM »

Another joke loss.

Roll on Monte Carlo.
IP Logged
dragonlady

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #384 on: March 11, 2012, 08:52 AM »

I have not read all the comments

But I thought GGL played a great match.
Everything went in - and his serve was great at clutch moments.

Andy's loss of focus at the start of the 2nd set was dreadful - he keeps doing this

to us and to himself most of all 

I hope it is because he in a transitional stage trying to be more aggressive.

Keep possitive  confused
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #385 on: March 11, 2012, 08:52 AM »

Losses like these to players he should beat are bound to effect his confidence, his confidence goes and he loses more matches he should win etc etc.
Good luck Ivan!
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #386 on: March 11, 2012, 09:15 AM »

I think this year Dubai was a useful tournament for him - wins against Berdych and Djokovic are good confidence-boosters for their future encounters. But it clearly wasn't the best preparation for this particular tournament.

It's just such a shame that he's lost out on so many ranking points - he could have closed the gap with Fed but now it looks like he'll be staying at 4 unless Fed loses early here and in Miami.

Can only hope that Andy will play better in Miami - I think this time he will.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #387 on: March 11, 2012, 09:28 AM »

"I didn't move my best tonight, but it didn't feel like I was moving really badly," said Murray, who was playing his first match since reaching the Dubai final. "My return let me down, and he hardly missed the ball, either. That's the thing. The level of tennis nowadays you get no easy first round matches and you play poor match, that's what happens. So can't allow it to happen. I don't know exactly why because I was playing really, really good tennis the whole of the week and the buildup to it."

Sometimes, sh*t just happens. 

I'll be watching livescores for the doubles but I'll be back for Miami yes
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #388 on: March 11, 2012, 09:46 AM »

Well Andy played in Dubai in 2009, where he got to the QF and then got to the final in IW.  I think he really does have to play a tournament before IW, but perhaps one in the US or S. America.  OK, so he wouldn't get the chance to play the top three, but, given what's a stake in IW, being match fit is probably of more benefit.

Not sure about it but I don't think Andy spent time in the States before playing Dubai in 2009.  Among other factors which have obviously played their part, I think it's the double whammy of the US/Dubai/US trip in 10 days that's taken its toll.  My worry is that now he will have played only one singles match before going into Miami where he will get yet another bye.  His second round opponent will know that he is vulnerable.  I'm hoping that, with Lendl in his corner, he will weather it - once he gets through his first match we can all heave a great sigh of relief.
[ Last edit by Alis March 11, 2012, 04:19 PM ] IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #389 on: March 11, 2012, 09:48 AM »

The only thing Murray is consistent at is losing in the first round to someone ranked between 80 upwards. Bevc is right, forget Indian Wells and hope for better things in Miami.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »