Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 Go Down Reply
Author

IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez

(Read 5964 times)
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #405 on: March 11, 2012, 02:04 PM »

He hasn't performed well here at Indian Wells for quite some time now.

Sore defeat to take.
IP Logged
isabel

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #406 on: March 11, 2012, 04:10 PM »

This is a tough defeat to swallow, but I am with those that don't really see this as a need to panic. I think that perhaps we were all expecting sudden and quick changes in Andy's mentality with Lendl, but that might never happen. Andy is not a mentally weak player, but rather a mentally inconsistent one, and this probably cannot be fully resolved even with Lendl. He's always had these tournaments where he looks like he does not belong in the top 50 and then the next week, comes out to win the tournament. Last years N.American swing was dire, but then he roused himself from out of nowhere on the clay. Same thing with Toronto last year- lost to Anderson in the first round and then turned around and won Cincy. Andy is a mercurial player, and in all honesty, I would rather that he put in these performances in these tournaments than slams. A more worrying trend to worry about with Andy is his inability to break in crucial games. This is the third consecutive loss this year that Andy has failed to capitalize on a 0-40 break opportunity in deciding games (0-40 in the 5th set against Nole in the AO, 0-40 in the first set against Fed in Dubai, and 0-40 opportunities squandered twice against Lopez yesterday). Because he is the best returner in the game along with Nole, I find this really worrying and hope that this does not carry on for more matches. Hopefully, he can play well in Miami, and then gear up for the clay where he has some points to defend. It would be good if Andy could get some points at Miami by going deep, so that if he does not defend all his clay points, his ranking does not begin to slip.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #407 on: March 11, 2012, 05:18 PM »

Isabel

Good post. Andy looked like the number 200 today, not the number 4. He was rank bloody awful.

There is no way the other members of the big 4 would play a total shocker like that. But that's Andy for you and we'll just have to accept it.

He could win in Miami now. No-one would be surprised.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #408 on: March 11, 2012, 05:30 PM »

A couple of other points.

1. This match wasn't even close! Garcia-Lopez had a far tougher match in his qualifying round. Go figure.

2. Lendl is obviously only going to be a part-time coach. Maybe this won't work.  Andy should think about getting someone who can be with him at all the tournaments.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #409 on: March 11, 2012, 05:57 PM »

Pretty obvious that Lendl isn't actually making any difference.
I agree. Just a load of media crap.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #410 on: March 11, 2012, 06:19 PM »

I agree. Just a load of media crap.

Well the AO semi was a bit of fight that I hadn't seen before at least. So many times he's disappeared after the sort of first set and a half that he put in there, so to make a match of it from there was an improvement. Some good wins in Dubai too. This match, however, was an abomination. I'll reserve judgment on Lendl for a while longer as it's still early days. I'm bitterly disappointed with this 2nd round exit AGAIN, however. Before 2010, he usually did well in these two big Masters events and IW was a big chance for some easy points, given his draw. I'll be mightily hacked off if he stuffs up Miami as well.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #411 on: March 11, 2012, 06:35 PM »

I think this is a case of reality dawns. I was hoping Andy could do a Djokovic this year. Clearly he can't. My expectations for this year have been revised drastically down unfortunately.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #412 on: March 11, 2012, 07:02 PM »

I think this is a case of reality dawns. I was hoping Andy could do a Djokovic this year. Clearly he can't. My expectations for this year have been revised drastically down unfortunately.

It's unfair to predict a Djokovic. That was a freak of a season. A single Slam this year would do me just fine, but he's still got work to do to achieve it. Wimbledon or the US perhaps, although Wimbledon carries ridiculous pressure.

Just please perform to at least your seeding in Miami, Andy. There's a lot to defend after that for the rest of the year.
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #413 on: March 11, 2012, 07:09 PM »

Andy clowned about in the first set when he had several chances to break then panicked when he went down a set.

His game began spewing unforced errors as the pressure rose in the second.

Lets be honest this happened in Brisbane, The Aussie Open and Dubai in the early rounds but he won as his opponents didn't take advantage and Andy ground out the win and went on too go deep in the tournament.

Stupid loss of points but Miami will be different.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #414 on: March 11, 2012, 07:11 PM »

UMMMM....................?

Hope your right.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #415 on: March 11, 2012, 07:30 PM »

Hope it does,nt turn into another Miami Vice.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #416 on: March 11, 2012, 07:34 PM »

Andy clowned about in the first set when he had several chances to break then panicked when he went down a set.

His game began spewing unforced errors as the pressure rose in the second.

Lets be honest this happened in Brisbane, The Aussie Open and Dubai in the early rounds but he won as his opponents didn't take advantage and Andy ground out the win and went on too go deep in the tournament.

I'm sorry that Andy didn't win and all the trouble you went to in getting to see him hug
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #417 on: March 11, 2012, 08:06 PM »

I'm sorry that Andy didn't win and all the trouble you went to in getting to see him hug

I'm over it now Fingers crossed

Just get a feeling last night Andy had one of those insecure nights on top of everything esle. We should lay off him as he is playing for himself and no one will be more disappointed than himself.

On a side note Sharapova seriously needs to think of spectators ears toot The woman is blatantly cheating.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #418 on: March 11, 2012, 08:33 PM »

I'm over it now Fingers crossed

Just get a feeling last night Andy had one of those insecure nights on top of everything esle. We should lay off him as he is playing for himself and no one will be more disappointed than himself.

On a side note Sharapova seriously needs to think of spectators ears toot The woman is blatantly cheating.

You are so right about Sharapova, saw the first few games of a match at wimbledon a couple of years ago and had to get up and leave it was awful! The powers that be need to turn it down.

However I just dont understand what Andy has to be insecure about he beat the world number one last week for heavens sake. I suspect he was trying out new stuff in the first set Lopez got confident when he won it and as someone else said Andy paniced.  I dont beleive he doesnt know what happened.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #419 on: March 11, 2012, 08:46 PM »

Ah, that's what happened....Andy paniced.... That explains it. Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »