Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 Go Down Reply
Author

IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez

(Read 6490 times)
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #420 on: March 11, 2012, 08:52 PM »

Ok so perhaps paniced was the wrong word (although I am not the only one to use it) but still believe he lost the first set through trying out new things which gave Lopez the confidence to play out of his head. Andy isnt going to admit that though.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #421 on: March 11, 2012, 09:01 PM »

I thought Andy was extremely tentative. Looked as though he was just pushing shots back. No power, no depth, no nothing. Just plain awful. He did mention he had problems hitting through the court and I agree. The surface was so slow Andy had to be much more aggressive than he was. In Dubai he could get pace from his opponents shots. Here he looked badly under-powered.
IP Logged
ljs
Futures Level

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #422 on: March 11, 2012, 09:17 PM »

not sure what to say about that match , disappointing would be an understatement.

But it is what it is , just hope he can pull it together in the coming weeks.

Cant help but feel like that was the wierdest display from Andy in a long time.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #423 on: March 11, 2012, 09:56 PM »

Anyone thought it might be the surface? Indian Wells has the lowest ITF Pace Rating of any hard-court Masters - in fact, it ranks alongside some clay events. The Pace Rating is the same as Miami, but IW has a higher bounce, making it quite clay-like. I reckon it just doesn't suit his game. Apart from 09, when he got butchered by Nadal in the final, he's never gone beyond the quarters.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #424 on: March 11, 2012, 10:08 PM »

And he made the semi finals of RG last year, whats the next excuse.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #425 on: March 11, 2012, 10:08 PM »

Alternatively, he could be ill. Aren't players, linesmen and ballkids dropping like flies?
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #426 on: March 11, 2012, 10:12 PM »

Alternatively, he could be ill. Aren't players, linesmen and ballkids dropping like flies?

He seems to be ok today is playing now. If he was sick why not say so?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #427 on: March 11, 2012, 10:15 PM »

And he made the semi finals of RG last year, whats the next excuse.

He's not a clay-courter and probably never will be. He made it to the semis in Paris against qualifiers, Hanescu, Tipsarevic, and then Cilic withdrew. It was as benign as draws get.

At Indian Wells, he played GGL, a born dirtballer, on a court that played like clay when he was expecting it to play like a hard court. I imagine he was confused.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #428 on: March 11, 2012, 10:16 PM »

He seems to be ok today is playing now. If he was sick why not say so?

You didn't notice him throwing up behind the ad hoardings just now?
IP Logged
ljs
Futures Level

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #429 on: March 11, 2012, 10:28 PM »

I dont think he was sick , he looked fine in his press conf and playing doubles , so dont think thats it . Just a bad day at the office I guess . It happens .

IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #430 on: March 11, 2012, 10:46 PM »

"He's not a clay-courter and probably never will be. He made it to the semis in Paris against qualifiers, Hanescu, Tipsarevic, and then Cilic withdrew. It was as benign as draws get."

Errr...except he made the semi-finals at both Monte Carlo and Rome as well.  Both of these are Masters 1000 events that included all the top players.

Andy is the fourth best clay court player in the world based on last years results.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #431 on: March 11, 2012, 11:01 PM »

Anyone thought it might be the surface? Indian Wells has the lowest ITF Pace Rating of any hard-court Masters - in fact, it ranks alongside some clay events. The Pace Rating is the same as Miami, but IW has a higher bounce, making it quite clay-like. I reckon it just doesn't suit his game. Apart from 09, when he got butchered by Nadal in the final, he's never gone beyond the quarters.

Semi finals, 2007?
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #432 on: March 12, 2012, 06:29 AM »

GGl beat Rafa at Bangkok semis...2010 I think. Rafa got revenge a year later.
Stuff happens. One reason I feel so disappointed is that it felt like the past two years, all over again.
Hopefully History doesn't repeat itself at Miami.
Afterthought, Andy seems more vulnerable to changes in court conditions/weather etc  than the other top 4 who usually take these things in their stride.
BTW didn't Lendl say it would take a year? We are very early days.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #433 on: March 12, 2012, 07:55 AM »

Semi finals, 2007?

Apart from when he made the semis, obvs.

Incidentally, they showed a bit of his match vs Haas last night from 07. He looked about 11.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: IW 2012 R2: Murray vs Garcia-Lopez « Reply #434 on: March 12, 2012, 07:56 AM »

"He's not a clay-courter and probably never will be. He made it to the semis in Paris against qualifiers, Hanescu, Tipsarevic, and then Cilic withdrew. It was as benign as draws get."

Errr...except he made the semi-finals at both Monte Carlo and Rome as well.  Both of these are Masters 1000 events that included all the top players.

Andy is the fourth best clay court player in the world based on last years results.

Pah. Fourth...schmourth.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »