Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: A quarter final place beckons for the winner.  Who will it be?
Andy in 2? - 32 (88.9%)
Carlos in 2? - 0 (0%)
Andy in 3? - 3 (8.3%)
Carlos in 3? - 0 (0%)
Play abandoned when Fed runs on court panicking that there's an earthquake, only to find out a large truck had just rumbled by...... - 1 (2.8%)
Total Voters: 36

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 Go Down Reply
Author

IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq

(Read 6336 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #600 on: March 14, 2013, 03:18 PM »

I watched the repeat of the match, although I did catch the first few games live last night. I would have liked to have stayed awake to be honest, but couldn't because I had to be awake very early.

I'd really only heard of Berlocq's name before. I don't really recall seeing him play. However, the thing that stood out for me was that the comms seemed really surprised by how well he played, they suggested that it had caught Andy off guard, which made sense. I suppose it isn't easy when you've never played someone before and you know they are considered to be a clay courter too.

Berlocq's grunting was annoying, and it did seem that he was doing it to be annoying. I know he complained about Andy taking too long between points, but I have to say that didn't seem to be the case to me. I think Berlocq was taking the wee-wee to some extent.

All in all I don't think Andy played too badly. The conditions didn't seem to be to his liking, the awkward shadows and such, and I don't think much love was lost between him and Berlocq, but the fact is that Andy got the win, and in straight sets too, so that's good enough.

IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #601 on: March 14, 2013, 03:34 PM »

The implication was evident.

There was no intent to post that comment as if it was a fact.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #602 on: March 14, 2013, 04:06 PM »

Yeah....however I think that Andy has had enough of some of the 'distraction' tactics of many players on the tour...he is having a go back at them more and more it seems. I also think that was 100% of Berlocq's game plan ...to do whatever he could to knock Andy out of his stride. I always think that the best way to deal with arrogance is to dish it right back at em x 2....but hey Im a fellow scot so maybe just inherent psyche Smile

Was a weird match in terms of the lack of quality play... which the stats kinda contradict. Shows the lack of value stats have I guess.
It seemed like a battle of will out on the court ...so in that sense I found it an interesting contest.

I did think that and his game was also very physical which actually allowed him to grunt as loudly as possible. Andy of course did it to show Berlocq that he too was in a position to complain but more importantly, he wasn't intimidated by him. Why should he?

I’ve seen Berlocq a few times before and I don’t remember seeing him so deliberately competitive. I guess he was really keen on pulling an upset since Andy had left a history here by exiting really early a couple of times. Nonetheless, I was very disappointed in Berlocq. He could have just left a decent impression against the World No. 3 instead he decided to go the dubious way.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #603 on: March 14, 2013, 04:14 PM »

Did you watch the match? Stop spouting sh*t. He was far from defensive and Berlocq was certainly not bossing the match.

Murray's serve was horrific at times.  A really poor match in general tbh.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #604 on: March 14, 2013, 04:33 PM »

Murray's serve was horrific at times.  A really poor match in general tbh.

A poor match only from Andy's perspective (not even that) but never from Berlocq's perspective. He'll be proud of his performance. So the whole idea of a 'really poor match' is basically subjective.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #605 on: March 14, 2013, 05:35 PM »

Annoyed at some people having a dig   at Andy  just because he was complaining about Berlocq's grunting.   I mean you could hear his grunting from China  it was that loud.  It was ridiculous.   

Looking forward to Delpo -  Murray  Smile   
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #606 on: March 14, 2013, 06:01 PM »

can anyone tell me how i might see andys match from last night again?  does anyone have it recorded on you tube that i might watch?
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #607 on: March 14, 2013, 06:39 PM »

Here you go Apollo 

IP Logged
bubbles80
Satellite Level

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #608 on: March 14, 2013, 06:47 PM »

Even with a bad day at the office so to speak andy won so all well that ends well xxxxxxxx
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #609 on: March 14, 2013, 07:20 PM »

clap
Here you go Apollo 

thank you john  yay
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #610 on: March 14, 2013, 09:25 PM »

Annoyed at some people having a dig   at Andy  just because he was complaining about Berlocq's grunting.   I mean you could hear his grunting from China  it was that loud.  It was ridiculous.   
There is immense irony that some people like to whine, sit in judgement and cast aspersions about another person making a legitimate complaint.  Berlocq's really very annoying and intrusive grunting was probably gamesmanship, and if not, it was disruptive, and everyone else gets to complain if something interferes with our ability to do our jobs properly.

It has obviously riled Andy for a bit, and perhaps most days he'd have let it slip, but the complaint about his time-keeping came across as petty, and probably also gamesmanship, so why not react?   I know there is a case for letting these things slide, but sometimes it's better to say something back.  It seems to have taken a lot of people by surprise.

For some, it's an excuse to have a go at Andy, but for others, it's given them the excuse to say just how annoying they think grunting is too, and about time someone said something about it in the men's game.

Interestingly, Federer was asked about grunting after his match, and he admitted he found it annoying too if it's too loud, and especially not even.  Basically, agreeing with Andy's concerns.  You can be sure that some people who called Andy a whiner will be praising Fed for his wise words.  Not that I blame Fed for that, and it's good that he is backing up what Andy said - even if the hard of thinking won't notice.
IP Logged
dave_ladder
Junior

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #611 on: March 14, 2013, 10:42 PM »

I don't think Berlocq's grunting was that bad to be honest. All I saw in that was Berlocq getting annoyed at losing a cheap point and petulantly moaning about the time between points. Then after Murray lost the game he petulantly moaned about Berlocq grunting (though was really just annoyed at Berlocq moaning in the first place).

You could say Berlocq started it, but really there was nothing in either incident. Certainly the umpire shouldn't have stepped in at any point.
IP Logged
stompie

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #612 on: March 15, 2013, 12:56 AM »

I think it's a good thing Andy complained about too much noise. About time someone did. Don't understand why more of the women players don't, but guess they are intimidated as the worst offenders are at the top of the game - Sharapova, Azarenka, Williams. ALmost impossible to watch Sharapove play with the endless time to serve and the totally unnecessary shrieking.

GO ANDY!! 
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #613 on: March 15, 2013, 10:40 AM »

Murray's serve was horrific at times.  A really poor match in general tbh.
hey jk has boogers appointed you his understudy when he's not posting? 
admittedly I've not watched the full match yet but have watched the one hour version Sky showed yesterday and I certainly didn't think Andy was playing defensively for most part [as you argued in an earlier post].  I liked the way he was coming forward to the net more and he was certainly taking the ball early at times [not all the time of course].  It seemed to my inexpert eyes more that he wasn't executing nearly as well as he's capable of, which suggests he hasn't quite found his rhythm or got a feel of the courts.  Let's hope that having been pushed by 3 much lower ranked players, he will now be ready to play the game he is capable of against one of those hunting him from within the top 10.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #614 on: March 15, 2013, 11:41 AM »

The comms. on Sharapova match also said the grunting must be stopped especially if it is appearing in the men's game.  I thought the grunting was too much.  They all give a little grunt now and again but I have never heard any male player make such a dreadful noise.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »