Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: A quarter final place beckons for the winner.  Who will it be?
Andy in 2? - 32 (88.9%)
Carlos in 2? - 0 (0%)
Andy in 3? - 3 (8.3%)
Carlos in 3? - 0 (0%)
Play abandoned when Fed runs on court panicking that there's an earthquake, only to find out a large truck had just rumbled by...... - 1 (2.8%)
Total Voters: 36

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 Go Down Reply
Author

IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq

(Read 8486 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #615 on: March 15, 2013, 11:42 AM »

Berlocq is a poor grunter, done it for ages, I can understand why he grunts considering the power he puts into his shots, but there's no need to grunt so loud.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #616 on: March 15, 2013, 12:05 PM »

The comms. on Sharapova match also said the grunting must be stopped especially if it is appearing in the men's game.  I thought the grunting was too much.  They all give a little grunt now and again but I have never heard any male player make such a dreadful noise.

The thing is, I think they are approaching the grunting issue all wrong. What they are trying to do is eradicate the grunting from the juniors, or, to put it another way, using a bottom up approach. However, to my mind, if they dealt with it at the top, Sharapova (being the worst to come to mind), Williams, etc, that would feed down to the youngsters and get rid of it from the sport quicker. I know there is an argument that someone who has grunted for years, like Sharapova (does she grunt? I'd say she is more of a screamer) for example, wouldn't be able to stop now, but surely being punished for it, a warning and then a point penalty say, would concentrate the mind.

The thing is, a lot of players grunt. Andy has been known to, in fact if you close your eyes and listen to him playing it is hard to know if you are hearing him or Ferrer, because they grunt the same way. However, the key, it seems to me, is if a player is hindering an opponent, or spoiling a match for those watching. If you watched Berlocq against Andy there were several times when he was still grunting as Andy was striking the ball. That has to be hindrance however way you look at it, and as such Andy was right to complain.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #617 on: March 15, 2013, 12:45 PM »

I totally agree the best place to start at the top as this high pitched screaming and the men's grunting when it interferes with the other player is unacceptable.  Serena was penalised at the USO against Stosur as the noise carried on during her return.  I am sure this happened with ASndy so Berlocq should have been penalised.  As to the time violation the comms were also saying that Andy has never in his career been picked for this and always keeps to the time.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #618 on: March 15, 2013, 01:37 PM »

I totally agree the best place to start at the top as this high pitched screaming and the men's grunting when it interferes with the other player is unacceptable.  Serena was penalised at the USO against Stosur as the noise carried on during her return.  I am sure this happened with ASndy so Berlocq should have been penalised.  As to the time violation the comms were also saying that Andy has never in his career been picked for this and always keeps to the time.
I thought Serena was penalised because she shouted come on while Stosur was playing not because of grunting.  But I agree that if Berlocq was grunting loudly while Andy was hitting the ball then he should at least have been warned and then penalised if he continued doing it.  
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #619 on: March 15, 2013, 01:46 PM »

I don't find Andy and Ferrer grunting the same way at all.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #620 on: March 15, 2013, 02:04 PM »

I don't find Andy and Ferrer grunting the same way at all.

Really? It's often been pointed out in commentary that they do. Crowds have also had some fun with it during matches. I definitely think Andy's grunt is distinctly Spanish and sounds very much like Ferrer.
IP Logged
bubbles80
Satellite Level

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #621 on: March 15, 2013, 02:08 PM »

Andy doesnt normally grunt loudly but i think he was making a point in this match
but i like andy grunt im wierd i know but it intresting sound not like some
when andy grunt you can  see the power going right through his body
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #622 on: March 15, 2013, 02:42 PM »

Really? It's often been pointed out in commentary that they do. Crowds have also had some fun with it during matches. I definitely think Andy's grunt is distinctly Spanish and sounds very much like Ferrer.

I will have to check their gruntings again teejay but I am quite sure they don't at all strike me similar. I notice the way players grunt among other things, and Andy's I don't think matches anyone's and I don't see why it should though to be honest, since everyone has a different way of expressing things. I can still listen to Andy’s grunting when I close my eyes and remember one of his past matches where he grunted the most, and still it’s striking me very different than Ferrer’s. Ferrer, for example, strikes me more of an animal grunting when he is really pushed (not being condensing at all just so you know Smile, and Andy’s more human’s but let me find out more about it. I'll get back to you on this.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #623 on: March 15, 2013, 03:04 PM »

The comment regarding Andy's grunt sounding distinctly Spanish..... Djoko grunts like a Pacific Islander

It does beg the question tho....... Is grunting gay?

lmao
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #624 on: March 15, 2013, 03:12 PM »

The comment regarding Andy's grunt sounding distinctly Spanish..... Djoko grunts like a Pacific Islander

It does beg the question tho....... Is grunting gay?
lmao

lol Not at all. I thought it's the other way around? The gays are quite tasteful, no?
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #625 on: March 15, 2013, 03:23 PM »

I'm sorry, Ruthie, you are right it was for shouting but all the same grunting is just as bad.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #626 on: March 15, 2013, 04:36 PM »

I posted this on the wrong thread by mistake so had to delete it. lol

Anyway, I chose this clip because the quality is very high both picture and sound wise. Anyway, they are not miles apart but Andy's grunting is definitely longer and softer, whereas Ferrer's shorter and very physical. He uses his body power to generate his shots whereas Andy's relies mostly on the strength of his hands.

But I wouldn’t know anything about Spanish grunting though because I very rarely pay any attention to anything Spanish.

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #627 on: March 15, 2013, 04:38 PM »

Ferrer simply drained Andy in that match. I was so disappointed after that match. Didn't think Andy had much to go on with in the final.
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #628 on: March 15, 2013, 06:15 PM »

Our homework was to "watch" out for the grunting, wasn't it. To my mind, there is a huge difference. ferrer comes really close to Berlocq's sound whereas Andy does not groan permanently and much less noticeable. but he does not play totally mutely. I remember LLodra making fun of it at the AO last year. So obviously it is a theme.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: IW R4: Murray vs Berlocq « Reply #629 on: March 15, 2013, 06:44 PM »

I fully agree with your assessment. I think it was laundry who said Berlocq’s grunting is pretty similar to Rafa’s but to be quite honest, Rafa’s grunting has never bothered me because it was never to the point where I’d have a problem with it. Nole probably grunts something similar to Andy now that I think about it. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »