Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  knighting andy murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: should we Knight Andy MURRAY  (Voting closed: July 21, 2013, 06:57 PM)
yes - 15 (48.4%)
no - 2 (6.5%)
not yet - 14 (45.2%)
Total Voters: 31

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

knighting andy murray

(Read 3868 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 10:11 AM »

I think when the time is right he will accept a knighthood. I think it is all to do with the desire to ensure Dunblane is constantly associated with positive, rather than negative things. Also it all adds to his own self esteem, which must be sky high this morning.

By golly does he'd deserve every plaudit and accolade that will come his way. I would also be delighted to see Lendl  get something. He deserves it as well.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 11:35 AM »

David Cameron on itv this morning said he couldn't think of anyone that  deserves a knighthood , after a 77 year wait, Andy deserves a knighthood no question.  Some have had a knighthood for a lot less, just my opinion .
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 11:39 AM »

Maybe not, but I definitely don't think he'd reject it. I know this is a bit of a hot button issue with nationalists, but the one thing Andy has always tried to do is avoid getting involved in politics, especially the independence debate.

At this point I think it's probably more of a political statement to reject a knighthood than it is to accept one (whether that should be the case or not is another question).

I don't think that Scottish Nationalism has anything to do with accepting honours from the queen.  Theres are plenty of Aussie, NZ, Canadian, West Indian etc. knights .

Anyway, the queen will remain head of state in the unlikely event that my country votes for independence.

Also. Sir Sean Connery is a leading nationalist.
M
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 03:49 PM »

My initial instinct was that Andy might think he is too young for such an honour, and also has plenty in front of him he wants to achieve. However, in my own view, you have to look at the thing in context. Andy has done something no other British man has done for 77 years, and he did it the hard way, beating the world no.1, a multi grand slam champion. Not only that, but Andy has two majors now, and the Olympic gold. Again, that's more than any other British man has done for generations. You also need to look at the fact that Andy is now the most successful Brit in grand slam history, and he's still going strong.

Andy has been through the mill to get where he is now. He's had to keep going in the face of defeat in major finals. He has worked and worked and worked for everything he has achieved. For me Andy is the epitome of what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. He's got back up after those major final losses, when it would probably have been easier to give in. For me Andy's story sends a signal loud and clear to any youngster, that if you have a talent you need to keep working at it, and that will reap its own reward.

There's no doubt in my mind that Andy simply is tennis on the men's side in this country. He's carried the burden of the expectations of the country and come through, at Wimbledon especially, but in a way at every tournament he has played and won. Tennis used to be considered something of source of national shame, even a bit of a joke. For the majority it isn't now, and that is down to Andy.

More widely, Andy does a fair old bit of charity stuff. There's no denying the fact that a charity can benefit from being linked to someone with a title, whether it's a Sir or whatever.

There is no doubt in my mind that Andy deserves a knighthood and I hope he gets it.

IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 06:36 PM »

Teejay1 - Couldn't have said it better myself. I still can't get my head round how he has coped with the pressure to deliver a Wimbledon trophy for so long, and managed to do it. Tim H had the pressure, but I don't think anyone realistically thought he had the ability to do it.  Mr M has had the expectation on his shoulders since he was a teenager. Now he has done it, and I think he deserves everything he gets, and I hope he gets a lot. Is there any other sport in this country whereby there is only one person having to carry the burden completely alone? Given he has had to do all of this whilst carrying the weight on Dunblane on his shoulders it is even more incredible.

One of the major delights of the Wimbledon victory is watching the way he constantly hugs the trophy to him. It is like a kiddy with a treasured teddy bear. It's almost as though if he is holding the trophy it must actually have happened.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 06:46 PM »

One of the major delights of the Wimbledon victory is watching the way he constantly hugs the trophy to him. It is like a kiddy with a treasured teddy bear. It's almost as though if he is holding the trophy it must actually have happened.

The way Andy was hugging the trophy really struck me too. I thought it was sweet, and as you say, maybe it was the one way he could make it seem real. I loved the way Andy was shaking his head when he saw his name on the honours board too. I even lip-read him saying to Phil Brook, 'I don't believe it'.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 12:08 AM »

I don't think that Scottish Nationalism has anything to do with accepting honours from the queen.  Theres are plenty of Aussie, NZ, Canadian, West Indian etc. knights .

Anyway, the queen will remain head of state in the unlikely event that my country votes for independence.

Also. Sir Sean Connery is a leading nationalist.
M

There was a discussion about this in the Observer on Sunday. I agree with quite a lot of what the "no" guy was saying, but this was quite funny: "Quite apart from the horrendous embracing-of-the-empire aspects (I'm sure the real reason why that other Scottish outsider Danny Boyle recently turned one down), at the very least it's just so... uncool".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/14/should-andy-murray-receive-knighthood

Respect to Danny Boyle, but don't think he's Scottish!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 08:43 AM »

He's not, lol,  And he said the reason he turned it down was because he already felt uncomfortable when someone tried to call him "Mr Boyle", so "Sir Danny" would be worse. lol

Anyway, someone like Danny is way too cool to worry about something being "uncool".  Worrying about something being cool is for the wannabes and neurotic.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 09:09 AM »

Of course Andy should accept whatever honour the Queen chooses to bestow on him. After all it is  being bestowed on the sport of tennis as well as him
 I also think an OBE should be bestowed upon  his mother for services to tennis Not only did she undertake his early training but she works very hard for women's tennis
IP Logged
starrieyed

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 09:16 AM »

Andy will get Knighted, that is a certainty!. So why not now! He has some big names in his corner, who would argue with the Prime Minister and Holly Willoughby (uhhh!). Lets face it, he deserves it, even if only for that magical day 7/7/2013, that will remain with us for ever.
IP Logged
starrieyed

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 09:18 AM »

On the subject of Knighthood/Damehood....any ideas as to why Virginia Wade did not get the honour...did she upset someone?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 09:30 AM »

Of course Andy should accept whatever honour the Queen chooses to bestow on him. After all it is  being bestowed on the sport of tennis as well as him
 I also think an OBE should be bestowed upon  his mother for services to tennis Not only did she undertake his early training but she works very hard for women's tennis

Absolutely agree. For me Judy's impact on our women is completely overlooked. She is also genuinely passionate about getting kids involved in the game.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 09:42 AM »

Of course Andy should accept whatever honour the Queen chooses to bestow on him. After all it is  being bestowed on the sport of tennis as well as him

Though Andy feels that off court actions would be a better reward for a knighthood, Andy has said that he wouldn't turn it down, should he be offered it.

http://www.3news.co.nz/VIDEO-Wimbledon-win-sinks-in-for-Andy-Murray/tabid/317/articleID/304375/Default.aspx
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 09:45 AM »

Obviously he will get it for Wimbledon, but as far as I am concerned what he really deserves it for is his relentless pursuit of his goals. Time after time he took major knocks, but steadied himself to go back into the fray to try again. After that awful defeat at Federer's hands on Center Court in 2012, he put himself back in the position of it happening again, emerging victorious. The one word that is underused in describing him in my opinion is courage.  Andy Murray has got inner strength that I don't think many people really ever recognised he has.

I also think that not getting the Grand Slam title was eating away at his own self esteem. He was failing by his own standards, never mind any one else's.  All of the adulation he has got since the Olympics will be hacking away at that. I think a knighthood will be like the Wimbledon trophy,  concrete evidence that he has overcome Dunblane and is a success. One of the articles in the press I read, said something along the lines that he doesn't need the love of the public. He doesn't need it, but that's not to say that he doesn't want it or value it. I think it was interesting this Wimbledon that he was actively asking the public for their support in his matches.  He feels secure enough now, to ask for the support he needs.  The Olympics taught him it's value. That's my take on it.  I think our Mr M is heading towards being a national treasure. He is going to be our own John McEnroe - the grumpy, awkward teenager  made good.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, 01:04 PM »

On the subject of Knighthood/Damehood....any ideas as to why Virginia Wade did not get the honour...did she upset someone?

She was awarded the OBE in 1986 apparently.

I just think different times call for different responses from those who make these decisions (which, by the way, is not the Queen, and not even the Prime Minister alone). Maybe it was considered the right thing to do, to make her a Dame or something, when she was winning her slams.

Thinking about VW (still can't stand the vindictive old cow) makes me think. I think it's safe to say that Andy has got rid of the external pressure to win Wimbledon. How long before the media start picking on Laura Robson?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »