Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  knighting andy murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: should we Knight Andy MURRAY  (Voting closed: July 21, 2013, 06:57 PM)
yes - 15 (48.4%)
no - 2 (6.5%)
not yet - 14 (45.2%)
Total Voters: 31

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

knighting andy murray

(Read 3548 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 02:16 PM »

If Andy is offered a Knighthood, my only hope is that he will either accept it or turn it down, depending on how 'he' feels about it, rather than worry about disappointing or pleasing anyone else!
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #31 on: July 19, 2013, 02:49 PM »

If Andy is offered a Knighthood, my only hope is that he will either accept it or turn it down, depending on how 'he' feels about it, rather than worry about disappointing or pleasing anyone else!

I think he has already stated that whilst he doesn't think winning Wimbledon warrants one, if it was offered he would accept it. Whether it's soon or when he retires one his heading his way.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 02:53 PM »

My initial instinct was that Andy might think he is too young for such an honour, and also has plenty in front of him he wants to achieve. However, in my own view, you have to look at the thing in context. Andy has done something no other British man has done for 77 years, and he did it the hard way, beating the world no.1, a multi grand slam champion. Not only that, but Andy has two majors now, and the Olympic gold. Again, that's more than any other British man has done for generations. You also need to look at the fact that Andy is now the most successful Brit in grand slam history, and he's still going strong.

Andy has been through the mill to get where he is now. He's had to keep going in the face of defeat in major finals. He has worked and worked and worked for everything he has achieved. For me Andy is the epitome of what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. He's got back up after those major final losses, when it would probably have been easier to give in. For me Andy's story sends a signal loud and clear to any youngster, that if you have a talent you need to keep working at it, and that will reap its own reward.

There's no doubt in my mind that Andy simply is tennis on the men's side in this country. He's carried the burden of the expectations of the country and come through, at Wimbledon especially, but in a way at every tournament he has played and won. Tennis used to be considered something of source of national shame, even a bit of a joke. For the majority it isn't now, and that is down to Andy.

More widely, Andy does a fair old bit of charity stuff. There's no denying the fact that a charity can benefit from being linked to someone with a title, whether it's a Sir or whatever.

There is no doubt in my mind that Andy deserves a knighthood and I hope he gets it.

Abousltley agree TJ , , Andy should defiantly get a knighthood, has he picked up his OBE , haven't heard ??
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 02:57 PM »

In that case, I hope he'll accept it because 'he wants it'! He certainly deserves it........which is more than can be said for some who've been given it in the past!
IP Logged
jillypops

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 04:52 PM »

Of course Andy should accept whatever honour the Queen chooses to bestow on him. After all it is  being bestowed on the sport of tennis as well as him
 I also think an OBE should be bestowed upon  his mother for services to tennis Not only did she undertake his early training but she works very hard for women's tennis

I was surprised to read that Judy is NOT even a member of the AELTC I think that should be rectified straight away.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 06:06 PM »

Re Andy one should remember that even if he accepts it,  should he be offered it, there is no law to say he has to use the title.
 Re Virginia Wade,  and I think I am correct in giving this explanation Of course she was a female and the DBE  Dame of the British Empire either did'nt exist or was not considered appropriate to give to a mere sports woman!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #36 on: July 19, 2013, 06:48 PM »

It's nothing to do with her being a woman - athletes simply weren't given Knighthoods in those days.  They were almost exclusively for members of the civil service.  She got an OBE, which was in keeping with what you'd expect for men and women back then.

It would be odd for Judy to get a gong for being "Andy's mum".  She has done a fair amount for British tennis, so if she gets something eventually, it should be that.  But have any of the other Fed/Davis Cup coaches been given gongs?    If she gets something eventually, it should be for services to British tennis, and there's no rush.

I think the rush to issue gongs for certain achievements can undermine the original achievements.  it's as if winning Wimbledon isn't enough.   Also, it gives the wrong impression that the Knighthood is "just" for winning one tournament/match, when the reality is that these things are given for a body of work, with one particular achievement being a highlight.   
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #37 on: July 23, 2013, 08:48 PM »

personally couldnt give a monkeys whether Virginia Wade was given one or not ...I dont like her and have never followed her career.

If a cyclist is awarded that honor for his achievements then yes Andy should be awarded also for his achievements... however... I think it should be awarded at the end of a sportspersons career.... too late now tho..they have dished it out to others so now they are kinda obligated to give one to Andy...especially with that daft PM & his sheep causing such a hoo ha about it. It all seems just political to me... trying to unify ..pre-election/pre-independence referendum/crappy economy...blah blah blah

If you get it ..take it Andy...if not... who cares! really!
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #38 on: July 23, 2013, 08:58 PM »

There was a discussion about this in the Observer on Sunday. I agree with quite a lot of what the "no" guy was saying, but this was quite funny: "Quite apart from the horrendous embracing-of-the-empire aspects (I'm sure the real reason why that other Scottish outsider Danny Boyle recently turned one down), at the very least it's just so... uncool".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/14/should-andy-murray-receive-knighthood

Respect to Danny Boyle, but don't think he's Scottish!

Danny Boyle was born in Manchester, England
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #39 on: July 23, 2013, 09:17 PM »

I was surprised to read that Judy is NOT even a member of the AELTC I think that should be rectified straight away.

What surprised me was that Mr M was made a member before he won Wimbledon - in 2011.  Not that he didn't deserve it of course, but given how much he was at odds with the establishment, and some of the dinosaurs in charge, I was surprised.
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #40 on: July 23, 2013, 09:47 PM »

What surprised me was that Mr M was made a member before he won Wimbledon - in 2011.  Not that he didn't deserve it of course, but given how much he was at odds with the establishment, and some of the dinosaurs in charge, I was surprised.
Why? - he'd been number 2 in the world, had been Brit number 1 for 5 years and was consistently getting to the Semis. They may be snobs but they would have looked like idiots not to.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #41 on: July 23, 2013, 11:02 PM »

personally couldnt give a monkeys whether Virginia Wade was given one or not ...I dont like her and have never followed her career.

If a cyclist is awarded that honor for his achievements then yes Andy should be awarded also for his achievements... however... I think it should be awarded at the end of a sportspersons career.... too late now tho..they have dished it out to others so now they are kinda obligated to give one to Andy...especially with that daft PM & his sheep causing such a hoo ha about it. It all seems just political to me... trying to unify ..pre-election/pre-independence referendum/crappy economy...blah blah blah

If you get it ..take it Andy...if not... who cares! really!

Just checking what Bradley Wiggins actually won, and it's quite a lot more than being the 1st British winner of Tour de France, and over quite a long period. Last year he "claimed a British record seventh Olympic medal with a sensational gold in the men's time trial". His first gold medal was in 2004
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18905559

Personally I'm sure Andy will be offered a knighthood (at some point), but would prefer it to be later. "Sir Andy to serve" is going to sound a bit odd!

[ Last edit by Elena July 24, 2013, 12:45 AM ] IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #42 on: July 23, 2013, 11:46 PM »

Chris Froome will have an OBE by December.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #43 on: July 24, 2013, 12:07 AM »

What surprised me was that Mr M was made a member before he won Wimbledon - in 2011.  Not that he didn't deserve it of course, but given how much he was at odds with the establishment, and some of the dinosaurs in charge, I was surprised.
I thought he just got it last year, after winning the Olympics at Wimbledon.

Let's face it, with so few different faces actually winning the main trophy, they must have known there was room for another player on the members' list, so it was a good excuse.

It's true about Wiggins.  He didn't just get it for the TdF, and he'd already been given various awards, including CBE before-hand.  Last year he got another gold medal too, so it was inevitable he'd get an upgrade.  Personally, I think they should wait until athletes have retired, but at least in his case he was in his thirties.  The same goes for Chris Hoy.  The problem they had with both of them is that they'd already given them high awards.  They either had to give them the Knighthoods or nothing.

As far as I know, Froome doesn't have any awards so far.  He hasn't won anything high profile and "only" got a bronze at the Olympics, so I think they can get away with just giving him an OBE this time, same as Andy got for Olympic gold/silver and US Open.  The pundits seem to think he could have another couple of tour wins in him, whereas they all seemed to think last year was Wiggins' best/only shot at it for various technical reasons to do with the course and age.

I also think that the cycling lobby is much more pro-active at getting their leading lights awarded gongs. 

I think it will be very tough not to give Andy an upgrade in the New Year honours, but stuff what Camaroon said, I think Andy would be happier (and get better press) if they gave him the CBE, and saved the K for later. 
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #44 on: July 24, 2013, 12:42 AM »

Dame Judy Murray sounds good.

Dame Judy Murray and Dame Judi Dench would be epic.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »