Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  knighting andy murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: should we Knight Andy MURRAY  (Voting closed: July 21, 2013, 06:57 PM)
yes - 15 (48.4%)
no - 2 (6.5%)
not yet - 14 (45.2%)
Total Voters: 31

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

knighting andy murray

(Read 3537 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #45 on: July 24, 2013, 10:27 AM »

I want him to have one simply because he deserves it for the example he is setting to modern youth. This is a sportsman who isn't constantly in the press for falling out of nightclubs p***ed out of his head, or using his fame to pull as many women as he can. They only thing that have got on him recently is a bit of bad language in the heat of a match. He has carried the weight of men's tennis in this country since Tim H retired, and he has carried it alone. In spite of all of this pressure, and his own demons, he has battled on until he achieved his, (and the countries), aims.  In a world where the young are taught that the way to fame and fortune, is 5 minutes of fame on a reality TV show, he stands out.  The example of Andy Murray is one we should be holding up to today's youngsters. If you want something worthwhile you get it by hard graft, taking a lot of knocks along the way, but by never giving up. Murray has always had the potential, but realising it took incomprehensible, and unrelenting guts. In my opinion that's why he deserves a knighthood.  It's not so much winning Wimbledon, that warrants it, but the path to that victory that does.
Not to mention that Mr M getting a knighthood will really hack off the cretins who post on the Daily Mail website.

Finally I think it will be a concrete symbol of the fact that he has won the hearts and minds of the Great British Public. That victory has been very hard won. Knight the lad - he deserves it. My opinion.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #46 on: July 25, 2013, 10:26 AM »

Am I right in thinking that Andy is yet to go to the Palace to have his Olympic OBE presented?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #47 on: July 29, 2013, 04:35 AM »

Am I right in thinking that Andy is yet to go to the Palace to have his Olympic OBE presented?
So far as we know, yes - but the problem is that he's out of the country so much that fitting in a time is problematic.  Investitures are held several times a year, but Andy will have to fit in with them, not the other way round!  The last one was held during Wimbledon, so that wasn't convenient either.

I do feel though that the most appropriate time for Andy to receive a knighthood would be when he retires from competition.  Hopefully he will achieve more great things during the rest of his career, and the fact is that a knighthood is the highest honour that he could receive.  For the present time though his OBE could be upgraded to a CBE, which is one step short of a knighthood.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #48 on: July 29, 2013, 02:06 PM »

Thanks Aileen,I also muse on Andy being given a CMG <Call me God.> or better still a GCMG
<God calls me God> but regrettably these are only given to military or civil service  wallahs
  However it's something to do while waiting for Andy to start playing again.

IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #49 on: July 29, 2013, 02:46 PM »

I want him to have one simply because he deserves it for the example he is setting to modern youth. This is a sportsman who isn't constantly in the press for falling out of nightclubs p***ed out of his head, or using his fame to pull as many women as he can. They only thing that have got on him recently is a bit of bad language in the heat of a match. He has carried the weight of men's tennis in this country since Tim H retired, and he has carried it alone. In spite of all of this pressure, and his own demons, he has battled on until he achieved his, (and the countries), aims.  In a world where the young are taught that the way to fame and fortune, is 5 minutes of fame on a reality TV show, he stands out.  The example of Andy Murray is one we should be holding up to today's youngsters. If you want something worthwhile you get it by hard graft, taking a lot of knocks along the way, but by never giving up. Murray has always had the potential, but realising it took incomprehensible, and unrelenting guts. In my opinion that's why he deserves a knighthood.  It's not so much winning Wimbledon, that warrants it, but the path to that victory that does.
Not to mention that Mr M getting a knighthood will really hack off the cretins who post on the Daily Mail website.

Finally I think it will be a concrete symbol of the fact that he has won the hearts and minds of the Great British Public. That victory has been very hard won. Knight the lad - he deserves it. My opinion.
Good posting!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #50 on: July 29, 2013, 05:12 PM »

Thanks Aileen,I also muse on Andy being given a CMG <Call me God.> or better still a GCMG
<God calls me God> but regrettably these are only given to military or civil service  wallahs
 However it's something to do while waiting for Andy to start playing again.
Andy can't start playing soon enough - bring on Montreal! cmon yeah
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #51 on: July 29, 2013, 08:05 PM »

seems like forever since he's played!!  And yes on the knighthood!!
IP Logged
bubbles80
Satellite Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #52 on: August 02, 2013, 01:29 AM »

Lord Andy Murray xxxx
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #53 on: August 03, 2013, 01:20 PM »

Lord Andy Murray xxxx

Perhaps Baby George of Cambridge shoud stand aside for King Andrew the First?  yay
IP Logged
bubbles80
Satellite Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #54 on: August 22, 2013, 12:43 AM »

Whistle agreed xxxx
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #55 on: January 10, 2014, 04:00 PM »

All that tosh about Andy cannot get another gong so soon after receiving his OBE. Well did you know that Jessica Ennis-Hill received an MBE in 2011, then got a CBE in 2012 after the Olympics. So why did they suddenly remeber that old rule?
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #56 on: January 10, 2014, 05:17 PM »

All that tosh about Andy cannot get another gong so soon after receiving his OBE. Well did you know that Jessica Ennis-Hill received an MBE in 2011, then got a CBE in 2012 after the Olympics. So why did they suddenly remeber that old rule?

What an interesting item of news  Certainly food for thought
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #57 on: January 10, 2014, 05:25 PM »

Maybe Andy said thanks but no thanks.   #hopeso
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #58 on: January 10, 2014, 07:09 PM »

Maybe Andy said thanks but no thanks.   #hopeso

I think the "rule" was every gold medalist in the Olympics got something regardless unless they already had the knighthood. I doubt very much he has refused one. I think it will be another sign to him that he belongs and has cracked it.
IP Logged
eeyorebob
Challenger Level

"I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar"

Re: knighting andy murray « Reply #59 on: January 10, 2014, 07:14 PM »

Protocol! you cant upgrade THAT SOON from an OBE to a Knighthood, you can upgrade OTHER honours within a short time frame (so Jessica Ennis got an OBE and was UPGRADED to a CBE after the 2012 Olympics - its not the same thing as a CBE isnt as high as a knighthood, so there are protocols in place for it. 

It WILL come
espcially when he wins Wimbly again Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »