Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Murray in 2 - 4 (12.1%)
Murray in 3 - 17 (51.5%)
Berdych in 2 - 9 (27.3%)
Berdych in 3 - 0 (0%)
Berdych runs away screaming because he confuses Murray with Djokovic. - 3 (9.1%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 51 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych  (Read 6374 times)
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 07:42 AM »

Not very confident about this one.  If Murray plays the same way as he did yesterday. Berdych will crush him. However there is always some possibility that Berdych may choke
IP Logged
angiebabez
Top Seed

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 08:03 AM »

Anyone know if andy is first up or 2nd?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 08:04 AM »

The one factor I am worried about is Andy physically. He was holding that hip a few times last night, and not just when he was struggllng. I wondered last year if it was his hip mire than his back that wasn't right and it is in my mind again. Still, I don't think he moved too badly last night, so even if he does have a niggle (I think he does) it will hopefully not be a factor.

Hopefully Andy will have learned a lot from playing Berdych on clay before.

What Andy can't afford is a start like last night. Berdych would love it, it would surely give him confidence. Andy needs to come out and get it from the off, give Berdych something to think about.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 08:07 AM »

Anyone know if andy is first up or 2nd?

Andy's is the third quarter final of the day. I think they said not before 7pm this evening UK time.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 08:33 AM »

He has done much better than last year. Reaching the QF of a big tournament, with such a dire clay court record, is a credit to him. He regained his No 2 ranking as a result of his efforts last night, not just because of Kei's performance, which is good. If he gets through Berdych and Warwrinka he almost certainly would fall to Nadal. If he has got back/ hip problems not sure it will be worth the effort. In my eyes clay matches don't really count, the true Murray just doesn't appear. If he goes out tonight I will still be happy with his performance in this tournament.

I went into last nights match really thinking Simon was likely to have gained confidence from Warwrinka beating him, and might well pull it off. Glad he didn't but not optimistic about tonight.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Top Seed

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 08:37 AM »

Andy's is the third quarter final of the day. I think they said not before 7pm this evening UK time.

Thanks teejay! Thats a good time for us then Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 09:19 AM »

It seems unfair to me that Birdy played his match so much earlier yesterday and then they don't put this the last match to give Andy more time to recover.  If Andy didn't get to bed till say 4am as he predicted then it seems unlikely he'll be sufficiently refreshed to play the kind of tennis he needs to play to beat Birdy on clay, especially with what does appear to be a hip problem (not that I think that was the explanation for the weaknesses in his performance yesterday which seemed much more due to mental and physical sluggishness).
So I'm not going to shed too many tears if he loses, and may well go to a meeting I'd been thinking of going to and recording it.  Even if he loses Andy has already had 5 hours of match practice so will probably be c7 hours by end of today and he can get over to Rome and prepare in the very different conditions there.

IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 09:53 AM »

Not confident about this, given the h2h on clay and and Andys gruelling late match yesterday. Still, these are just the challenges Andy seems to thrive on so hoping for a good match at the very least, hopefully a win for our boy. I just hope that he comes through without injury.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 10:00 AM »

I think probably of all the clay courts, this is the best one to play Berdych on as it's a fairly quick court. Though with the match being on in the evening, conditions will be heavier which will help Berdych. But if Andy plays like he did yesterday, he'll lose. There's no way that Berdych would let him get away with pushing the ball down the middle of the court - a lot of his shots were barely landing past the service line, though the depth did improve as the match went on. Also, Andy will have to serve well as Berdych's really punished his second serve before.

I'm confused as to why Andy's clay game seems to have regressed this year. In 2011 he seemed to really have an understanding of how to play well on clay, using angles on the court, dominating rallies with his forehand, using an inside-out forehand really effectively, and well-timed dropshots. I hope he can return to that level of play again. Perhaps it's just a confidence issue at the moment, and his level will improve. A win against Berdych tonight would really help him believe in his clay game more.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 10:09 AM »

As their playing at night the ball will be slower and that should be an advantage to Andy, fingers crossed!
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 10:19 AM »

I am delighted that he is through this far and has taken back the No 2 on his own merit.  I think it will be hard for Fed to make up all these points.  I, personally, am not too optimistic about tonight but I am sure he will fight and maybe Berdy will not.  You never know.  Maybe it is in the Gods.  I do dream about it being a Murray v Nadal final.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 10:20 AM »

Does this match matter? Andy already is no 2 with lots of daylight between him and Federer so he should aim not to be injured and if he loses then prepare for RG
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 10:24 AM »

Maybe he will more sensible than Nole who I think should not have played.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 10:38 AM »

Andy just cant afford a slow start. He could come back against Simon, but that wont be happening this time against Berdych. I feel Andy can win this one in 3.

C'mon Andy!!!! clapping
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 10:43 AM »

Anyone know if Andy's match is on first or is it Stan?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 51 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »