Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Murray in 2 - 4 (12.1%)
Murray in 3 - 17 (51.5%)
Berdych in 2 - 9 (27.3%)
Berdych in 3 - 0 (0%)
Berdych runs away screaming because he confuses Murray with Djokovic. - 3 (9.1%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 51 Go Down Reply
Author

Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych

(Read 8088 times)
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #30 on: May 10, 2013, 10:51 AM »

Andy first at 7pm then Stan
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #31 on: May 10, 2013, 10:53 AM »

They may both be aiming for 402 match wins but the big difference being Andy has a 76% win rate to Berdych's 64% Smile
Also, Berdych is 2 years older
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #32 on: May 10, 2013, 11:01 AM »

Thanks teejay! Thats a good time for us then Smile

No problem Smile
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #33 on: May 10, 2013, 11:11 AM »

I have a small doubt, the match is today?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #34 on: May 10, 2013, 11:27 AM »

It seems unfair to me that Birdy played his match so much earlier yesterday and then they don't put this the last match to give Andy more time to recover.  If Andy didn't get to bed till say 4am as he predicted then it seems unlikely he'll be sufficiently refreshed to play the kind of tennis he needs to play to beat Birdy on clay, especially with what does appear to be a hip problem (not that I think that was the explanation for the weaknesses in his performance yesterday which seemed much more due to mental and physical sluggishness).
So I'm not going to shed too many tears if he loses, and may well go to a meeting I'd been thinking of going to and recording it.  Even if he loses Andy has already had 5 hours of match practice so will probably be c7 hours by end of today and he can get over to Rome and prepare in the very different conditions there.

Ruthie, I couldn't understand the scheduling for the same reason. It doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Like you, I'm not suggesting that Andy's hip problem (I do think there is one) had a bearing on last night, or that it would be a reason for a loss today, assuming Andy does lose of course, but I do think being on last would have given him a bit longer to recover.

The way I look at it is that Andy is still in. In that case, if he can bring his best tennis, he has a chance. He loses when he loses, not before.

I also think that given that he didn't play Madrid last year, anything he has done this week has helped him gain some ground over Federer. The gap between Andy and Federer is pretty good now. Hopefully it will stay that way. He isn't done yet in Madrid, he could win if he plays as he is capable of, but even if he doesn't win, if he does well in Rome and has a good RG he will hopefully be in a good position going on to the grass, i.e. a proper tennis surface, where he does tend to do well.

Katie, I think it's too early to talk about Andy regressing this year. MC wasn't great, but it wasn't great last year either. He didn't play Madrid last year. Quarter finals (and hopefully beyond) on a surface people write him off on seems pretty good to me. I just think, as important as the Masters are, the main thing is the majors. As long as Andy plays well in RG I will be happy, and by well I mean the quarters or beyond.

With respect I think 2011 is a bit of a red herring with Andy on the clay. That year, after losing to Djokovic in the AO and losing badly, he did virtually nothing of any note until the clay season. I remember telling people that he probably wouldn't see much joy until the grass, so to see him play so well on the red stuff was great. However, maybe, just maybe, the pressure was off him. Maybe he thought, knowing clay is arguably not his best surface, that he had nothing to lose and went for it, getting some good results along the way. The thing is, there is something to lose now, in the rankings. I do think it is confidence more than anything to be honest, but I think it's very easy for onlookers to not understand that. I really do think that one great result on the clay would do Andy good. Hopefully it will come today.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #35 on: May 10, 2013, 11:47 AM »

I think the match start is perfect i'm not sure where unfairness comes into it, the last thing Andy wants is another late night where he has to worry about what time his match starts and what time his match ends, with it being a set time of 8pm Andy knows exactly when to be prepared for. He has to break this late night cycle as he may (will) have another match tomorrow.

IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #36 on: May 10, 2013, 12:20 PM »

Katie, I think it's too early to talk about Andy regressing this year. MC wasn't great, but it wasn't great last year either. He didn't play Madrid last year. Quarter finals (and hopefully beyond) on a surface people write him off on seems pretty good to me. I just think, as important as the Masters are, the main thing is the majors. As long as Andy plays well in RG I will be happy, and by well I mean the quarters or beyond.

With respect I think 2011 is a bit of a red herring with Andy on the clay. That year, after losing to Djokovic in the AO and losing badly, he did virtually nothing of any note until the clay season. I remember telling people that he probably wouldn't see much joy until the grass, so to see him play so well on the red stuff was great. However, maybe, just maybe, the pressure was off him. Maybe he thought, knowing clay is arguably not his best surface, that he had nothing to lose and went for it, getting some good results along the way. The thing is, there is something to lose now, in the rankings. I do think it is confidence more than anything to be honest, but I think it's very easy for onlookers to not understand that. I really do think that one great result on the clay would do Andy good. Hopefully it will come today.

That's a good point teejay, it probably is too early to judge his form based on only 3 matches. In fact, compared to 2011 his result at Madrid is actually better (he lost in R3 then). It makes sense what you say about him having nothing to lose in 2011 - and he'd have been feeling very fresh then too after the early exits. What I liked about his 2011 form was his point construction - he was patient in the rallies, but not passive either - he got the balance just right. Hopefully by the time RG comes around, he'll have a few more matches under his belt, and can also use the early rounds of RG to further hone his skills.

In tonight's match, I'd love him to really hit his forehand and use controlled aggression. He's got a lot of natural power, and it was frustrating last night to see him not use it often enough. In a sense, he's got nothing to lose tonight - he can only gain in the ranking points, and the H2H with Berdych is against him on clay. In contrast, there's more pressure on Berdych as he's defending finalist points. So perhaps this will make Andy relax and play really good tennis, fingers crossed.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #37 on: May 10, 2013, 12:39 PM »

I think the match start is perfect i'm not sure where unfairness comes into it, the last thing Andy wants is another late night where he has to worry about what time his match starts and what time his match ends, with it being a set time of 8pm Andy knows exactly when to be prepared for. He has to break this late night cycle as he may (will) have another match tomorrow.

yes did wonder about that gnome but it does leave Andy very little time indeed to sleep, recover, prepare and go through his usual pre-match routines in order to then attack and destroy.  Anyway, hope you're right.  But what I think is unfair is that Birdy's match wasn't at least last on his court last night to try to achieve a degree of equivalence in their starting points for today.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #38 on: May 10, 2013, 01:01 PM »

For years we've been pleading with Andy to work on his mental fortitude. He hasn't been always been playing 'pretty,' but I'm so impressed by his dogged determination nowadays.

I'm going to miss this match, so here's hoping you all enjoy it. I'm wishing Andy a great serve and Super-Charged forehand.  cmon yeah
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #39 on: May 10, 2013, 01:19 PM »

Well the odds have certainly swung, Berdych is now favourite at 1.91, Andy at 2.0

I'm not surprised at all. Betting at 2.25 would have clearly been a great move whoever was laying that shitt should get fired, if I was still betting I would have put a lot of money on that. :p
[ Last edit by laundry May 10, 2013, 01:23 PM ] IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #40 on: May 10, 2013, 01:25 PM »

Andy first at 7pm then Stan

Thanks for that Mackem. Smile
IP Logged
Hamish McHamish
Satellite Level

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #41 on: May 10, 2013, 01:29 PM »

Judging by what Andy was saying last night I think the main advantage for tonight is the fact that the conditions between day and night matches seem to be different enough that it can be considered a factor. Hopefully this will negate Andy usual slow start in favour for Berdych struggling to adjust and maybe, just maybe an early break. You never know. As far as I am concerned for Murray to win this one he needs the first set so the first 5 or 6 games could determine how the match is likely to unfold.
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #42 on: May 10, 2013, 01:34 PM »

With regard to the schedule I still find it bizarre. Imagine yesterday's WTA match going into the third set, then Andy would have started at around 11. The same could happen tonight as there is still a match after Andy's. How can they expect players to have a fair chance when they go to bed in the early morning hours?
IP Logged
Hamish McHamish
Satellite Level

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #43 on: May 10, 2013, 01:34 PM »

Well the odds have certainly swung, Berdych is now favourite at 1.91, Andy at 2.0

I'm not surprised at all. Betting at 2.25 would have clearly been a great move whoever was laying that shitt should get fired, if I was still betting I would have put a lot of money on that. :p
Yeah, very true. I had a little look at the odds last night and was shocked to see Andy favourite. Not only did I think there would be a massive continental arbitrage opportunity by playing the UK market against the Czech markets for example but even wagering as much as you could at that price for Bird man last night/early this morn you could bet your house on it that it would have swung by tonight enough to then back Murray at greater than evens to secure guaranteed profit.

Sorry for those you do not understand or more likely, do not give a sh*t but I know Laundry appreciates some gambling chat
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #44 on: May 10, 2013, 01:37 PM »

With regard to the schedule I still find it bizarre. Imagine yesterday's WTA match going into the third set, then Andy would have started at around 11. The same could happen tonight as there is still a match after Andy's. How can they expect players to have a fair chance when they go to bed in the early morning hours?
It's not useful - but the same scenario for both players. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 51 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »