Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Murray in 2 - 4 (12.1%)
Murray in 3 - 17 (51.5%)
Berdych in 2 - 9 (27.3%)
Berdych in 3 - 0 (0%)
Berdych runs away screaming because he confuses Murray with Djokovic. - 3 (9.1%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 [51] Go Down Reply
Author

Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych

(Read 7948 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #750 on: May 11, 2013, 10:49 AM »

Good analysis TeeJay.  I guess I'm forgetting how poor the post-AO season has bee in recent years, and so this year's performance is actually up there with his best. 

Thanks. You certainly gave my dodgy memory a work out lol. I think I'm right in saying that it's one of Andy's best starts to the year so far, which tells me that he is getting a lot of the consistency he said he wanted this year. I personally think that if he can have a decent showing in Rome and RG he will set himself up nicely for the summer ahead. I can't wait for the grass season.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #751 on: May 11, 2013, 11:14 AM »

sparkle  10.33am   Good posting!

Andy deliberately reduced the number of tournaments he played post AO so as to pace himself better through the year and also because he's starting to think longer term about how long he can prolong his career.  Seems very wise to me and I think he may be learning from smugfed  who has managed his playing career so well.  I think he's right to think longer term and not go chasing points for the sake of it like say Ferrer.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #752 on: May 11, 2013, 01:06 PM »

The reason I mentioned the clay being bad for his particular knee problem is that he said so himself and also I asked a physio friend what she thought.  She said that it would aggravate it.  It makes it very difficult for him to slide.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #753 on: May 11, 2013, 01:14 PM »

I also read somewhere yesterday that Andy said the movement on clay aggravated his back problem.  Thank goodness the obligatory clay court season is as short as it is.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #754 on: May 11, 2013, 01:29 PM »

if that's the case Alis it would explain why he's started clutching again
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #755 on: May 11, 2013, 02:33 PM »

I don't think he will ever feel truly comfortable on clay. He did look as though  was having  some problems when playing Simon and Berdych but considering I thought he had done pretty good. At least he has got back in front of Smugfed. I think Smugfed thought he would go out and get to the final, he will have to think again.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #756 on: May 11, 2013, 03:39 PM »

I think it's best to conclude that Andy's just not as comfortable on clay as he is on both hard and grass. The knee problem or the back problem doesn't really cut it. It's almost impossible especially technically to play equally well on all three surfaces (not including indoor carpet since it doesn't exist anymore but Andy's game suits that surface so that's one more surface for him). Clay is a surface, like grass, where natural abilities are required, unlike hard where you can adjust your game. Andy is just more of a grass/hard court player simply put. Once his career ends, I am sure, he'll have a pretty decent record on clay. As a Sampras fan, I'd struggled quite a bit in his days to accept the fact that he wasn't good enough on clay; but the reality was, his game was designed for fast courts and his game would crash on a slow court like clay. It also requires a lot of endurance and Sampras didn't have it on clay. So it's not just the technical aspect but a lot of other things that can hinder your success on a particular surface. Despite all that, he still had a semi appearance at RG, won Rome and a couple of other clay titles. And he is still regarded as one of the greatest players of all time. So I don't think Andy will be able to do everything we'd like him to do. He knows what comes easy to him and he'll maximize his potential on those and that can still make him as one of the greatest legends of all time. It will be a very stupid move if he were to focus too much on clay and undermine all others. It should always be the other way around because that's where his maximum potential lies. If I am great at understanding Physics then that's where I am good at; I can't force myself to understand Chemistry and be anal about it when clearly it doesn't come as naturally to me.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #757 on: May 11, 2013, 03:52 PM »

Your a Sampras fan.....now you tell us.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #758 on: May 11, 2013, 04:06 PM »

Your a Sampras fan.....now you tell us.

I know. However, I should get credit for keeping it a secret all this time.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #759 on: May 11, 2013, 04:17 PM »

I think that we need to put Andy's relatively poor performance on clay into perspective.  Last year he made the RG quarters, the year before he made the semis - and we're talking about the clay court Grand Slam here.  Yesterday he played in the last eight in the Madrid tournament.

It's not that he's that bad on clay, he's just not as brilliant as he is on grass/hard courts!
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #760 on: May 11, 2013, 04:24 PM »

Also, he'll get better on the clay as his movement improves and becomes more natural.  I think he'll make the Final in Rome helped by a good draw.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #761 on: May 13, 2013, 01:02 AM »

Andy.....why bother on clay....yer crap.

My kindergarten students can make something better out of clay than Andy.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Madrid QF: [3] Murray vs. [6] Berdych « Reply #762 on: May 13, 2013, 07:14 AM »

My kindergarten students can make something better out of clay than Andy.
Linda, that's uncalled for... Wink......... hug
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 [51] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »