Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Your predictions
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Wawrinka in 2
Wawrinka in 3

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 ... 33 Go Down Reply
Author

MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka

(Read 10279 times)
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #375 on: April 18, 2013, 05:39 PM »

Andy and those who know him best always say he is a sensitive individual and so I wonder how much of an effect such crowd reactions have on him.they must stay with him a while or bother him..

I wouldn't look much into that, i remember he once got booed at Monte carlo when he played an injured Gilles Simon, he also gets booed at RG but in a post match interview says he thrives on that kind of negative atmosphere, he enjoys being the pantomine villain Smile

IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #376 on: April 18, 2013, 05:39 PM »

Of course he's ill. And injured. And he tanked. And maybe he was feeling a bit sad. And also annoyed he had to be up early. Poor Andy.

If you watch his interview he doesn't look or sound well. We all know just how rough the first stages of a virus can make you feel. They can also come on very quickly. In that interview he just looked to me as though he wanted to be lying down in bed asleep. That was not a normal Murray performance even when he eventually loses. Nothing was firing today. There has to be a reason, other than his issues with clay.  I am certain he wasn't tanking. If he didn't tank in the Miami final against Ferrrer he certainly wouldn't tank against Warwrinka.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #377 on: April 18, 2013, 05:39 PM »

Andy and those who know him best always say he is a sensitive individual and so I wonder how much of an effect such crowd reactions have on him.they must stay with him a while or bother him..
Yes I agree  Milly he is sensitive , and so uncalled for!!! No one would of been more upset losing than Andy , I think he thought he was going to adjust to clay quicker this year, but a few more matches under his belt I think we might be surprised .
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #378 on: April 18, 2013, 05:42 PM »

If you watch his interview he doesn't look or sound well. We all know just how rough the first stages of a virus can make you feel. They can also come on very quickly. In that interview he just looked to me as though he wanted to be lying down in bed asleep. That was not a normal Murray performance even when he eventually loses. Nothing was firing today. There has to be a reason, other than his issues with clay.  I am certain he wasn't tanking. If he didn't tank in the Miami final against Ferrrer he certainly wouldn't tank against Warwrinka.
Good posting!
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #379 on: April 18, 2013, 05:43 PM »

I wouldn't look much into that, i remember he once got booed at Monte carlo when he played an injured Gilles Simon, he also gets booed at RG but in a post match interview says he thrives on that kind of negative atmosphere, he enjoys being the pantomine villain Smile

I don't think crowd reactions bother him to a great extent, now - he's far too far down the line for that. 
IP Logged
LIBANY
Satellite Level

Connecting to multiple grand slams Murray!

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #380 on: April 18, 2013, 05:49 PM »

Good posting!

I also think so      confused
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #381 on: April 18, 2013, 05:53 PM »

Agree, and anyway there were just a few boos at the beginning, and a few more at the end. Let's not exaggerate.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #382 on: April 18, 2013, 06:10 PM »

Yes I remember that , but they were booing because they didn't like it because Andy was beating Simon , not because they thought he was playing badly, just my opinion.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #383 on: April 18, 2013, 06:11 PM »

I also think so      confused
Sorry meant to say good posting Masaka,
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #384 on: April 18, 2013, 06:37 PM »

Would rather Andy retire during the match or lose badly.  Think
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #385 on: April 18, 2013, 06:45 PM »

Why were the crowd booing?.... he played a bad match??...so what....every player plays one from time to time. Rediculous.
I dont think it was a strategic tank by Andy...just a poor performance by his standards.

I dont see Andy winning a big comp on clay.... He is almost 26... and at or close to his physical peak..and simply there are better clay court players than him. Would love him to prove me wrong tho.

However... I believe he has every chance of winning more majors and reaching No1.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #386 on: April 18, 2013, 06:45 PM »

My apologies Ruthie.  What I said was in the heat of the moment but that feeling of acute disappointment is rapidly passing.  And yes I still think it's very unfair that players who've just lost are interviewed so soon after coming off court.
No need to apologise Aileen and I'm sorry if I rather jumped on you but was also feeling pmd - post match disappointment!  Actually watching Andy's presser on bbc website I think he was pretty lucid as  to what went wrong and how.  What he couldn't or wouldn't answer was why it did.  Now it may just be that it was a really bad day and as he wasn't feeling the ball everything else went pear shaped facing a hot clay court player who came in having played 12 clay matches.  Or he wasn't feeling well but doesn't like to use that as an excuse.  Or some other reason.  Or he and Lendl just have to work it out.
But I agree it's really disappointing when he doesn't put up the kind of fight he usually does.  When you think how he fought in Miami it does suggest something not quite right.  Oh and EJ about Miami I recall someone posted an analysis of the stats, which showed that after the first set Andy actually played very well apart from his serve, which he himself said after the match he needed to work on.
Re booing: I recall the booing was much worse 3 years ago when he went out in the first round he played in. I was so upset by how the crowd responded that I joined MW to share the pain of following Andy through a difficult period - and at that point who would have predicted a slam and gold medal?  So as MM said, let's keep it in perspective.
[ Last edit by Ruthie April 18, 2013, 06:57 PM ] IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #387 on: April 18, 2013, 06:56 PM »

Hope so, really. Anyway, I am off to back to back meetings. Smile
I prefer the face to face meetings. yes
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #388 on: April 18, 2013, 06:56 PM »

I agree completely. I meant to mention the booing so thanks for reminding me. Booing a player, any player, for having a bad day, is a disgrace. Sometimes, with all due respect, the French crowds go too far.
  C'est la vie. That just about sums the whole deal.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #389 on: April 18, 2013, 06:56 PM »

If you watch his interview he doesn't look or sound well. We all know just how rough the first stages of a virus can make you feel. They can also come on very quickly. In that interview he just looked to me as though he wanted to be lying down in bed asleep. That was not a normal Murray performance even when he eventually loses. Nothing was firing today. There has to be a reason, other than his issues with clay.  I am certain he wasn't tanking. If he didn't tank in the Miami final against Ferrrer he certainly wouldn't tank against Warwrinka.
Andy seems to get an awful lot of viruses (if indeed this is the problem here), so maybe he should look into some alternative medicine to help boost his immune system.  On the other hand I think he works himself far too hard in the belief that physical perfection is the key to winning tournaments - and unfortunately in this respect workaholic Lendl is about the last person he should have as his coach.  Taking more holidays away from tennis would probably do him the same good, if not better, as any type of preventative medicine.

My other concern is that something could be up with Ross, or even just the fact that his friend's illness is weighing heavily on him, perhaps more than he even realises.

Re booing: I recall the booing was much worse 3 years ago when he went out in the first round he played in. I was so upset by how the crowd responded that I joined MW to share the pain of following Andy through a difficult period - and at that point who would have predicted a slam and gold medal?  So as MM said, let's keep it in perspective.
I remember that  Ruthie. hug  The French though must be the least sporting-minded people in the world.  All they want is for their own to win and nothing else matters.  Also there was no shortage of Wawrinka supporters present today - presumably tarred with the same Swiss brush as the Fed ones at the WTF.
[ Last edit by Aileen April 18, 2013, 07:10 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 ... 33 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »