Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Your predictions
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Wawrinka in 2
Wawrinka in 3

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 33 Go Down Reply
Author

MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka

(Read 11522 times)
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 09:11 PM »

I thought Andy looked a lot more comfortable on clay today compared to previous seasons. The quality of opponent wasn't great tho ...so its hard to judge his form. Wawrinka will be a tough opponent....but I also think Andy needs that level of opponent to prime him for Nadal...should he get that far.

Im thinking Andy will win in 3 sets...but he will have to play better than today to win it. He played some very good shots/winners today ... I thought. His serving, even though the 1st serve percentage was low seemed a lot more effective than it was in Miami and in prior clay seasons. Much improved movement once he got going too.

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 09:18 PM »

I’ve been thinking about this match. It’s been a while Andy and Stan played a clay match and a lot has changed in between. Andy has 2011 clay season behind and he now sees himself as a GS champion, so that has to help the confidence as well. Stan is looking good and seems more like in his prime these days, so I don’t want to take anything for granted. So what will Andy have to do to win this match? I somehow see Andy adjusting his game accordingly tomorrow and not going into the match with a specific plan. If Andy’s feeling confident and keen, I think he’ll serve very well so that’s going to be a very positive start assuming he’ll be all that. Personally I think it will be hard to beat a highly motivated Andy if I look at it from a different perspective. So obviously, it’s Stan who will have to do much more than Andy so let’s see. I have lot more faith in Andy these days on clay than before so I am counting on that too.

I do think Stan will start firing right away so Andy will need time to adjust that and eventually get hold of things. He’ll calm Stan down. If Andy’s really keen on winning and I see why not, then Andy should prevail. Surface will be a second element to that.

Having said that, quite a few great matches tomorrow. I so want to see at least half of them.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 09:25 PM »

Not to be picky or anything, but wasn't the match with Stan at the Olympics a bit tighter than the score-line suggested? Andy won in two, which is what counts, but I recall a lot of us saying it wasn't simple.

As for tomorrow, I think Stan will push harder than ERV, but I have high hopes for Andy. He just looked good to me today, playing confidently and moving so well. Stan can be tricky when he wants to be, but I think Andy will prevail. I think Andy in either two tight sets or three. I agree with ABF though, a challenge like Stan might be good for Andy in the light of the potential challenges ahead.

I think 2008 is too long ago to be relevant to tomorrow. Andy has improved since then.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 09:31 PM »

ATP site won't let me input names the way I want them to appear grr so I've had to use the H2H that comes up.

I watched the first set and part of the 2nd of Andy's match on Wednesday, but I got tired yawn so I will watch the remainder tonight before Andy's next match, which will be on a bit earlier.

* Murray vs Wawrinka.JPG (176.21 KB, 837x1261 - viewed 177 times.)
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 09:57 PM »

Murray in straights. I think he'll be fine vs Wawa tommorow I'm a big admirer of wawa's game, and talent. he can knock the socks off anyone on his day.

But i think Andy is really relaxed on clay its like he feels no pressure, and it makes Andy more dangerous. His movement on clay seems to have improved massively too, he was sliding around in that first match which is not something Andy really does, so positive signs are there!

cmonandy
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 10:01 PM »

I've gone for Andy in 3.
 Stan will be tough, especially on clay and remember he has beaten Andy twice before on clay, albeit some years ago. Their matches are often hard fought battles, but I think Andy has a good chance with his new improved skills.

Hope he keeps his cool though and doesnt get time violations.
Best o' luck Andy!
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 10:08 PM »

That's what worries me a little, but I felt that today Andy, for the first time, looked as though he belonged on clay.  Comfortable, relaxed and moving very well.

Thats a bit of an exaggeration surely. What about when he was serving to beat Joker in the Rome semis. Or when he reached the semis if the French, or semis in  Monaco a couple of years back?

I always remember watching Andy getting horsed by Stan in a Davis cup match on clay in Switzerland 5 years ago. It will be a different match this time but as we saw in Australia Stan can compete with anyone when he's in the mood.

Andy in 2.

IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 10:33 PM »

Once again the stomach will churn in the office while I watch the live up-date as the livestream doesn't really do well on the IPad.

So let's have another match like today Andy, no slow start, come firing great serves and great returns.  Good Luck Andy and may the force be with you!!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 10:44 PM »

Ugh,I'll probably miss this match too Frown

cmonandy
IP Logged
Jayel
Junior

IT JUST GETS BETTER

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 11:10 PM »

World number 2 sits well on Andy's shoulders. He knows it even if some of his greatest fans are also his greatest apologists. For me Andy in 2 after a  tight first set.Go get him boy!!!!
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 11:16 PM »

Stan can be a nightmare if his game is on. I have a feeling it will be a tight match but Andy will win. Fingers crossed.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 01:38 AM »

Thats a bit of an exaggeration surely. What about when he was serving to beat Joker in the Rome semis. Or when he reached the semis if the French, or semis in  Monaco a couple of years back?
I don't see why what I said is an exaggeration - and if you look at some other posts they would seem to agree with me, i.e. that Andy looked completely comfortable on clay - something he has never really done despite all his training on the red dirt in Barcelona.  I particularly liked the way he was sliding easily into shots whereas in the past he's often run round the ball in order to return it.
IP Logged
Bailey
Satellite Level

Come on Andy!!!!

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 05:16 AM »

Andy should win in 3.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 05:44 AM »

Not voting, Wawrinka stresses me out---feeling positive, nevertheless.  cmonandy
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 09:05 AM »

Beautiful intro Aileen and the inclusion of an approximate time is appreciated. Then also to have an HtoH from Bevc again thanks for that. We really are back in business Murray will win in three It really is his time I'm convinced of it
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 33 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »