Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Your predictions
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Wawrinka in 2
Wawrinka in 3

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 33 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka  (Read 7717 times)
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #270 on: April 18, 2013, 02:20 PM »

Yes, but Andy looked quite comfortable just yesterday.

He was facing world number 81 then though - and Roger-Vasselin has a losing record on clay. If Andy had faced a similar opponent today, then I expect he'd have won. But to beat good clay players, he needs to be able to play consistently at a high level. I think that with a few more matches, he'd have played a lot better than he managed today.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #271 on: April 18, 2013, 02:21 PM »

For what reason would he plan to lose do you think?

I feel there's something going on with the top players. Federer is taking an extended break. Nole got injured all of a sudden and there's now this tension lurking always around him that, he might suddenly withdraw or lose. One of his ardent fans actually told me just yesterday that he's expecting Nole to lose here in MC, so that he wouldn't have to play Nadal before RG. Nadal, of course, doesn't have to do any of these things. He's quite comfortable and confident on this surface and has won RG too many times. He’s the man to beat after all. So anyway, whatever it is, we'll find out after RG. I can't say for sure that Lendl isn't planning something more effective. It's not just how you play but also how you plan things. So again, will have to wait for this season to be over, so that we can look back and explain a few things maybe. On the other hand, this could also be just a plain loss as well.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #272 on: April 18, 2013, 02:22 PM »

We've heard that one before, but that was a while ago - but he's a professional player so he must know the reason why.  If he doesn't then I don't doubt Lendl will soon tell him!

I think Andy will know the reason why he lost so badly but that doesn't mean he is going to share it with us.    Quite right too.    I thought he looked very strange out there to-day, although I missed the first 2 games and the comms said he had started well.    But then I didn't think he looked all that comfortable yesterday either.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #273 on: April 18, 2013, 02:23 PM »

I feel there's something going on with the top players. Federer is taking an extended break. Nole got injured all of a sudden and there's now this tension lurking always around him that, he might suddenly withdraw or lose. One of his ardent fans actually told me just yesterday that he's expecting Nole to lose here in MC, so that he wouldn't have to play Nadal before RG. Nadal, of course, doesn't have to do any of these things. He's quite comfortable and confident on this surface and has won RG too many times. He’s the man to beat after all. So anyway, whatever it is, we'll find out after RG. I can't say for sure that Lendl isn't planning something more effective. It's not just how you play but also how you plan things. So again, will have to wait for this season to be over, so that we can look back and explain a few things maybe. On the other hand, this could also be just a plain loss as well.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'something going on'.  Do you mean they are 'at it'? Or that there are just circumstances and events dictating things?
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #274 on: April 18, 2013, 02:24 PM »

Oh for goodness sake Emma - get back on this planet!  Andy HATES losing and the last time he played this badly was during his 2010 post-AO slump.  He's a GS winner now and therein lies the difference.  Also Andy looked totally at home on clay yesterday, which is one reason why I feel so disappointed now.  A loss I could have accepted, but not a total drubbing.
Total agreement with this - Andy just would not tactically lose a match like that.
IP Logged
rob92
Challenger Level

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #275 on: April 18, 2013, 02:24 PM »

Well I don't think Andy was ready for Stan so early on in this tournament. Lets be honest he wasn't really tested in his first match. Don't right Andy off because of a poor result.  Whistle
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #276 on: April 18, 2013, 02:25 PM »

He was facing world number 81 then though - and Roger-Vasselin has a losing record on clay. If Andy had faced a similar opponent today, then I expect he'd have won. But to beat good clay players, he needs to be able to play consistently at a high level. I think that with a few more matches, he'd have played a lot better than he managed today.
Which is the reason I wish he'd opt for Barcelona.  Waiting until Madrid in the hope of winning a few more matches doesn't sound a good idea, especially if his aim is, as he said often enough, to win RG.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #277 on: April 18, 2013, 02:25 PM »

^ Stan just played better on the day.  I think it's that simple. 
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #278 on: April 18, 2013, 02:28 PM »

^ Stan just played better on the day.  I think it's that simple. 
Yes, he put Andy in a spin he couldn't get out of and played very well in the process, gathering confidence as Andy lost all his.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #279 on: April 18, 2013, 02:29 PM »

Well I don't think Andy was ready for Stan so early on in this tournament. Lets be honest he wasn't really tested in his first match. Don't right Andy off because of a poor result.  Whistle
Well I admit I wasn't happy about his first match. He's probably had more testing practice matches.

Anyway nobody will be writing Andy off because of this result, but for the first time in a long while I'm finding the disappointment a bit hard to take right now.  But it'll pass soon enough, as I'm hopeful it will with Andy.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #280 on: April 18, 2013, 02:31 PM »

Which is the reason I wish he'd opt for Barcelona.  Waiting until Madrid in the hope of winning a few more matches doesn't sound a good idea, especially if his aim is, as he said often enough, to win RG.
I agree - I think it would definitely help him. Apparently he's staying in Monte Carlo until next Friday to practise, then he'll head to London, followed by Madrid.
IP Logged
BigNose
Challenger Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #281 on: April 18, 2013, 02:33 PM »

Not seen the match but clearly Andy has been totally outplayed here today. Very disappointing.
On the other hand, this could also be just a plain loss as well.

What else could it be? Andy was totally outclassed today by a very good clay court player.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #282 on: April 18, 2013, 02:36 PM »

I think it's the shirt, he should have been wearing the blue one!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #283 on: April 18, 2013, 02:42 PM »

There's no doubt that Andy needs to bring his goods against players like Wawrinka especially on clay. And to face him this early is also another factor as that didn't give Andy enough to prepare for Stan on this surface. That leaves only one thing though. Andy's not at all good on clay if he needs one too many matches just to get in shape for a well-rounded match. I am still finding this a bit hard to digest it.  He lost 6-1, 6-2. He did not make at least 1 set a bit more competitive than that and he had no business not winning majority of his 1st serve points at least. They weren’t even 50%. Andy's serve has taken a major dip.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #284 on: April 18, 2013, 02:43 PM »

I agree - I think it would definitely help him. Apparently he's staying in Monte Carlo until next Friday to practise, then he'll head to London, followed by Madrid.
Well that's his choice, which presumably Lendl is going along with, so we have to accept that he feels confident about what he's doing in the same way we had to after the AO - and that at least did work out in the end.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 33 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »