Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Your predictions
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Wawrinka in 2
Wawrinka in 3

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 Go Down Reply
Author

MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka

(Read 10019 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #465 on: April 19, 2013, 02:18 AM »

Maybe it was an electrical fault that caused the explosion to cause the electrical fault.
Sorry you missed it, Bev, but then again.. Frown

As Alex would say, meh.

I'm just concerned about my chest freezer, full of cow, that will soon be defrosting!
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #466 on: April 19, 2013, 02:19 AM »

That wasn't what I was inferring.   If you bother to read my post properly you'll see I'm talking about Andy changing his mind.
He didn't change his mind. it's been his schedule since October 2012. Andy said he wanted to do better in all tournaments he enters. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #467 on: April 19, 2013, 02:21 AM »

He didn't change his mind. it's been his schedule since October 2012. Andy said he wanted to do better in all tournaments.
Yes and that included the minor ones.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #468 on: April 19, 2013, 02:22 AM »

I am dissapointed in the lack of minor tournaments Andy has commited to this season to be honest.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #469 on: April 19, 2013, 02:23 AM »

Yes and he won Brisbane.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #470 on: April 19, 2013, 02:54 AM »

Yes and he won Brisbane.
So?  Winning one minor tournament is no big deal, and now he won't be playing another until Queens, then probably Tokyo, and that, it seems, is as far as he's prepared to go, which will do him a fat lot of good if he seriously wants to increase his chances of ever becoming #1.
[ Last edit by Aileen April 19, 2013, 02:59 AM ] IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #471 on: April 19, 2013, 03:17 AM »

I was thinking this during Miami. Maybe Andy should get his eyes tested. I don't think his vision is quite right.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #472 on: April 19, 2013, 08:13 AM »

^^ Hopefully Andy and his team will be on the case.
[As long as eg IPL; commercial and business interests; Brand Murray etc are not acting as distractions, causing a loss of focus].

All shall be well - setbacks have often worked to spur Andy on..
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #473 on: April 19, 2013, 08:15 AM »

Wouldn't it be a bit pointless playing endless ATP 250 tournaments when he can only count the scores from 2 of them? As I understand it he has to play the 4 Grand Slams, The 8/9 Masters (Monte Carlo counts as an optional one), 4 ATP 500's and two 250's. surely his 250's will be Brisbane which he won, and Queen's where he is defending 0 points this year.
I really do think given his knee and his fluctuating back problem reducing some of the tournaments he plays in order to preserve his body, and give him longer on the tour is eminently sensible. We have to be realistic the lad is not getting any younger. Clay seems to be his duff surface, I doubt very much if that is going to change now. It seems far more logical to focus his efforts on the parts of the season that suit him, in much the same way that Nadal hoovers up most of the Clay Court tournament points. I would think it is a strategy game he and Lendl are playing. Let the others knacker themselves out in the Clay Court season - it surely means Murray will be fresher for grass, and have more left for the hard courts.
I also wonder, given what the conditions in Miami were like if that tournament and the brutal final took more out of him than we realised. It certainly did Ferrer in. Our lads not super human.

As for returning to London I would strongly suspect its to do with picking up his OBE. He also seems the sort who needs to touch base with home every so often. Perhaps he wants to see Ross H, sign stuff relating to his new hotel, celebrate a relatives birthday/anniversary - who knows.

He has had a really good start to 2013, he has screwed up his first Clay Court tournament (just after a brutal Masters win), an outcome that shouldn't be surprising to anyone on here.  Tennis at the higher levels seems to be very rough on the body. I really don't see what the issue is here.

Murray delivered that awesome Gold Medal in style (didn't Saint Fed lose 2, 1 and 4 in that match by the way...!!!), and followed it up with the US Open. As far as I am concerned he has paid his way. Anything else will be a bonus. Another GS if possible, but its not essential. As he himself said, if he had had to stop and never play another match after the US Open last year he would have retired happy and fulfilled. Lets just try to relax a bit, and enjoy him when he is on form, rather than getting so stressed about a predictable loss.  He got his first Masters for 18 months two weeks ago, and reached a GS final. The lad is still on track.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #474 on: April 19, 2013, 09:06 AM »

Did you scroll the bar along the bottom to the right? You'll see him then. wink
But it is an old pic.

Do you know, I realised after I posted that I didn't scroll across lol! Excuse my stupidity lol.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #475 on: April 19, 2013, 09:21 AM »

He says that in an interview.    But we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.    It's all speculation on our part and I speculate as much as anyone else, possibly more.    I want to go along with a bad day at the office, then I think of how he looked, sniffly and not breathing well, then Kim not being as smiley as usual at Indian Wells and Miami.   Is it personal problems?   We don't know and you can't make a proper judgement without knowing all the facts.
I didn't notice Kim but if she wasn't smiley it wasn't necessarily because of problems between them.  And difficult to look smiley when Andy playing a dire match. And if she knew Andy wasn't feeling great for some reason, that too may be  a reason.
I think the OBE theory is quite a good one actually.  Time will be running out I'd have thought as it's not that long till the next honours list is published.  But my understanding was that he isn't coming straight back to London but plans to practise in MC for a week.  Miles Maclagan said that made sense give quite a few players live in MC so he'll have some top hitting partners for practice sets.  So perhaps a quick return to London to touch base, collect OBE and then I understood he was going to Madrid in good time to acclimatise.

Oh and good post Masaka.
[ Last edit by Ruthie April 19, 2013, 09:26 AM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #476 on: April 19, 2013, 09:25 AM »

By minor (if he ever used that term?) I think he meant tournaments other than slams Aileen.  He was acknowledging he had become obsessed with winning a slam and was not paying sufficient attention to other important tournaments.  I have no recollection of him saying he would play more minor tournaments - can you recall when he said that?  I thought he'd been quite clear about managing his schedule better under Lendl's influence having got worn out and injured towards the end of the 2011 season.
[ Last edit by Ruthie April 19, 2013, 09:29 AM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #477 on: April 19, 2013, 09:27 AM »

Wouldn't it be a bit pointless playing endless ATP 250 tournaments when he can only count the scores from 2 of them?

He has had a really good start to 2013, he has screwed up his first Clay Court tournament (just after a brutal Masters win), an outcome that shouldn't be surprising to anyone on here.  Tennis at the higher levels seems to be very rough on the body. I really don't see what the issue is here.

Murray delivered that awesome Gold Medal in style (didn't Saint Fed lose 2, 1 and 4 in that match by the way...!!!), and followed it up with the US Open. As far as I am concerned he has paid his way. Anything else will be a bonus. Another GS if possible, but its not essential. As he himself said, if he had had to stop and never play another match after the US Open last year he would have retired happy and fulfilled. Lets just try to relax a bit, and enjoy him when he is on form, rather than getting so stressed about a predictable loss.  He got his first Masters for 18 months two weeks ago, and reached a GS final. The lad is still on track.

I couldn't agree more, well apart from the slams bit. A few would be nice, for him though, not for anyone else.  Furthermore, it was only Andy's third loss this year. A bad one, sure, but hey-ho. He won Miami in tough conditions, found a way to win. He just couldn't find a way yesterday. End of.

If Andy played a whole bunch of small tournaments to boost his ranking he'd be accused of the sort of thing Ferrer is accused of by some around here. I do think a small clay tourney a year might be good for him, to get practice and a feel for the surface, but I think he knows what he's doing, so I trust his judgement. He had a bad day yesterday, for whatever reason, but it's not the end of the world. Come the French he'll be fine.

I have to also say that I'm personally not unduly bothered about his ranking, even if Federer's sycophants will gloat. Andy will get back to 2, and I'm still convinced that no.1 is inevitable at some point. Maybe not this year, but it will happen.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #478 on: April 19, 2013, 09:30 AM »

They said yesterday that Andy is staying in MC for a few days to practice. I didn't hear anything after that.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: MC R3: Andy Murray vs Stanislas Wawrinka « Reply #479 on: April 19, 2013, 09:45 AM »

They said yesterday that Andy is staying in MC for a few days to practice. I didn't hear anything after that.
Yes I heard someone say he was staying in MC till next Friday to practise then back to London and then early to Madrid to acclimatise.  Quite possible to fit in a quick trip to Buck House in that schedule.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »