Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Media Tribute to Andy’s Wimbledon Championship Win? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Media Tribute to Andy’s Wimbledon Championship Win?

(Read 883 times)
dex
Futures Level

If you visit any of our larger newsagents on the high street and glance across the shelves you will see many special edition magazines to celebrate the Golf Open Championship 2013, The Ashes 2013, The Lion’s Tour 2013 and even Silverstone GP 2013. In some cases there are several publishers for each event.

Now look for anything on Andy’s win at Wimbledon, you will have to look very hard.  The only place I found such an item was in Morrison’s supermarket, I could not find anything at Menzies, Tesco or Asda stores.  I have to give credit to the Mirror Group for their very good publication on Murray’s Wimbledon Championship win.

I know that Andy and Kim do not court the lime light, ie. You never see them in Hello or OK magazines but…………….. 

It has taken 77 years to do it, am I alone in thinking this should warrant a few souvenir specials to celebrate the occasion?
[ Last edit by dex July 17, 2013, 09:30 PM ] IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Media Tribute to Andy’s Wimbledon Championship Win? « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 11:33 PM »

There is at least one "Magical Murray - History maker" by the Mirror Group full of glossy pictures. The Daily Mail are doing a Wimbledon DVD. I am sure there will be lots of other things. All of the newspapers the day after did souvenir editions.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Media Tribute to Andy’s Wimbledon Championship Win? « Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 11:15 AM »

There is at least one "Magical Murray - History maker" by the Mirror Group full of glossy pictures. The Daily Mail are doing a Wimbledon DVD. I am sure there will be lots of other things. All of the newspapers the day after did souvenir editions.
Yes. 'Magnificent - Murray' , I think it is called is the one I was refering to.
The newspapers always run a souvenir edition for a British wIn, so that is just standard. It is the special 'glossy' edition souvenirs that I want to see. You can keep and dig them out in a few years to marvel at Andy's career, by then the newspapers have 'yellowed' and creased.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Media Tribute to Andy’s Wimbledon Championship Win? « Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 01:50 PM »

Sorry - late didn't read your post properly. I am sure there will be more.  It is probably going to take a few weeks to get them put together.  I am haunting Amazon to see what they come up with.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Media Tribute to Andy’s Wimbledon Championship Win? « Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 02:40 PM »

Good news as seen elswhere on this forum. The Post Office are launching a four stamp set to celibrate Andy's win at Wimbledon. Out in August. Tha's more like it!!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Media Tribute to Andy’s Wimbledon Championship Win? « Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 11:05 AM »

Good news as seen elswhere on this forum. The Post Office are launching a four stamp set to celibrate Andy's win at Wimbledon. Out in August. Tha's more like it!!

It might be nice to keep track of the various tributes.

As well as the stamps, there's the Andy Murray dahlia (as seen on Aileen's lovely avatar), the tiger cubs Andy and Viktor at the highland Wildlife Park

http://www.scotsman.com/news/environment/amur-tiger-cubs-named-after-andy-murray-1-2993284

The penguins at Fife Aquarium - Andy, Kim, Judy and Shirley (not necessarily in that order!)

any more?
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Media Tribute to Andy’s Wimbledon Championship Win? « Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 03:43 PM »

My mate's wife gave birth to a daughter that very evening.  His suggestions for a name of "Andrea" or "Murriana" did not gain any traction..........
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Media Tribute to Andy’s Wimbledon Championship Win? « Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 03:54 PM »

My mate's wife gave birth to a daughter that very evening.  His suggestions for a name of "Andrea" or "Murriana" did not gain any traction..........
Murriana ? lol !
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Media Tribute to Andy’s Wimbledon Championship Win? « Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 04:12 PM »

this isn't a tribute in the sense of dex's thread but it's a tribute in the sense that Andy now is being used as a benchmark for other sportspeople:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/golf/james-lawton-can-justin-rose-call-on-a-little-of-andy-murrays-magic-and-make-it-successive-majors-at-the-open-8711835.html

I'm picking out the key bits about Andy as most of it is about golf:
Murray took on a figure who had acquired the aura of Woods as he approached the pinnacle of his success. Novak Djokovic seemed to be operating on another level, another planet, but Murray attacked him with a wonderful relish. He did more than grab a moment; he invaded it, shaped it utterly to his plan, and he did it with a conviction that provided a marvellous commentary on the steady progress that brought him to the US Open title and Olympic gold and then the ultimate prize, Wimbledon.

Murray’s achievement is a rebuke to the Luke Donalds and the Paul Caseys and the Ian Poulters who have earned their fame and their fortunes while regularly deflecting questions about the significance of not winning the supreme prize of a major title. It also throws into a harsh light the current uncertainties of Rory McIlroy, for whom Faldo has found it necessary to issue a severe career warning.

t was also the working ethic of the young Woods, the maturing Rose and, we now know so clearly, something that was deep in the bones of Murray. The Scot sought the help of the sternly demanding Ivan Lendl. He knew he needed extra assistance and that it would be best coming from somebody who knew precisely what it took to win the great titles.

The Faldo style may not commend itself so forcibly to McIlroy but the results it brought are now embedded in the history of British golf. That the old, dour champion should make his call to arms this week is certainly a telling commentary on the crisis of the young player once considered most likely to surpass the deeds of the young Tiger.

As the older version fights to win back the best of himself, McIlroy has to prove it is alarmist to believe the best of his game might already have come and gone. Rose merely has to remember how he found the richest vein of his life. In all of this the example of Andy Murray is surely worth more than a nod.

And in the Guardian 'Notes and queries' section a reader had sent in this question: 'Given his sublime combination of athleticism and skill, what other sport could AM have excelled in? 
[ Last edit by Ruthie July 20, 2013, 04:17 PM ] IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Media Tribute to Andy’s Wimbledon Championship Win? « Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 04:33 PM »

^^That's very interesting Ruthie.

I have this week, found myself comparing the fortunes of Murray and McIllroy. Both have won 2 majors, but career-wise, are in very different places right now. McIllroy's post 1st round interview was very honest - he conceded the problems he has are in his head. As I recall, it wasn't long ago that pundits were claiming he had already supplanted Tiger at the top of the game, and more majors were bound to follow. That's a tall order and it seems the weight of expectation is taking it's toll now. Andy Murray knows about this of course and he learned to overcome it. He also had to wait longer to get those slams so the progression was more gradual. I think Rory needs to get himself a good mentor, and maybe do less ads. I'm not suggesting that making a few ads takes a lot of time from his schedule, but I feel he might benefit from keeping a lower profile for a spell - I think he needs space, rather than time, to rehabilitate his career.

Sorry if I've gone a bit off topic.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Media Tribute to Andy’s Wimbledon Championship Win? « Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 04:36 PM »

well for his sake I hope he can learn from Andy sid- and I think they're quite friendly through Caroline who is an Adidas player
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Media Tribute to Andy’s Wimbledon Championship Win? « Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 05:00 PM »

well for his sake I hope he can learn from Andy sid- and I think they're quite friendly through Caroline who is an Adidas player
Oh - I didn't know that Ruthie. Maybe Andy can give him some tips then. 'you need to work on your b/hand up the line Rory !' lol
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »