Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions
Murray in 2 - 27 (58.7%)
Murray in 3 - 17 (37%)
Ferrer in 2 - 0 (0%)
Ferrer in 3 - 2 (4.3%)
Total Voters: 46

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 ... 104 Go Down Reply
Author

Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer

(Read 14550 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1470 on: April 01, 2013, 06:06 PM »

Why did you hide your surname too? No use since I know it. :P

Are you stalking me on twitter?
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1471 on: April 01, 2013, 06:06 PM »

Are you stalking me on twitter?

Nope. Use your head, Prod.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1472 on: April 01, 2013, 06:07 PM »

Nope. Use your head, Prod.

You follow me on twitter, but I don't know your twitter :P
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1473 on: April 01, 2013, 06:08 PM »

You follow me on twitter, but I don't know your twitter :P

I'm not on twitter, dude.

One clue, I know your email id too. :P
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1474 on: April 01, 2013, 06:08 PM »

I'm not on twitter, dude.

One clue, I know your email id too. :P

ah I see. need to change that
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1475 on: April 01, 2013, 06:09 PM »

ah I see. need to change that

Yep, go do it before I spread it around. Wink
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1476 on: April 01, 2013, 06:44 PM »

very interesting couple of articles Sparkle @6.04pm.  Didn't read the details of the stats but the bottom line showed how well Andy actually did in the 2nd and 3rd sets even if it wasn't always obvious!  And I thought the 2nd one really conveyed the compelling drama of the match.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1477 on: April 01, 2013, 07:02 PM »

very interesting couple of articles Sparkle @6.04pm.  Didn't read the details of the stats but the bottom line showed how well Andy actually did in the 2nd and 3rd sets even if it wasn't always obvious! 
I thought so too.  I think the number of breaks of serve were seen as a surrogate for quality, so other aspects of the play were perhaps overlooked.  People talked as if Andy's play was riddled with errors, which wasn't actually a fair assessment after all.  It still doesn't make Andy's serve good, but I think it shows the rest of his game was actually pretty good once he got going.

I would like to see a similar break-down of some of Andy's other matches for comparison.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1478 on: April 01, 2013, 08:18 PM »

In a newspaper report on another thread (I think news articles) it says Andy tweaked his ankle but didn't ask for the trainer as he didn't want to prolong the proceedings.  Otherwise I don't think he was cramping so presumably didn't need massage like Ferrer did.
Yes Ruthie, I'd say he definately tweaked his ankle, as after that, he couldn't walk properly, but I think he'd decided not to encourage Ferrer further by showing weakness.....bless 'im!
Hopefully his ankle support will have prevented any real damage from being done.  At least he's got a break now before MC.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1479 on: April 01, 2013, 08:25 PM »

et seq ...
That's amazing PE.  Thanks. Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1480 on: April 01, 2013, 10:11 PM »

Hopefully his ankle support will have prevented any real damage from being done.  At least he's got a break now before MC.
One in the eye for those who dub him a drama queen. Actually I think I heard him say in one interview that they were both cramping - but again he just got on with it whereas Ferrer seemed to be camped out in the massage parlour at every change of ends.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1481 on: April 01, 2013, 11:07 PM »

One in the eye for those who dub him a drama queen. Actually I think I heard him say in one interview that they were both cramping - but again he just got on with it whereas Ferrer seemed to be camped out in the massage parlour at every change of ends.
And Andy wasn't happy about Ferrer's second lot of treatment.  I seem to recall him having a word with the umpire about it.  Of course Ferrer could have been deliberately trying to disrupt his rhythm ... put me in mind of Djokovic's strangely-timed MTO at the USO final, and so when I saw it here it was at that moment that I truly began to believe Andy would win.

Fortunately the ankle doesn't seem to have been a problem given that he was photographed walking barefoot on the beach later in the day.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1482 on: April 01, 2013, 11:28 PM »

One thing that has been overlooked regarding the match up between Murray vs Ferrer and that is they often hit together in practice sessions, or have done in the past, i'm pretty sure i read that they still do occasionally especially on clay so surely over the years Ferrer is more in tune with Andy's game than he is with the other members of the big four which gives him somewhat more confidence in playing him.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1483 on: April 01, 2013, 11:37 PM »

Some of these stats from one of the links Sparkle posted are quite fascinating.

http://www.changeovertennis.com/stats-andy-murray-rights-the-ship-in-the-miami-final/

Some key ones to note:

- Do notice that Murray committed just three unforced errors after the seventh game (in the final set). In crunch time, Murray found ways to clean up his game

- I can’t get over how great his forehand fared in that (third) set. Think about it: Murray avoided mistakes on 95% of his forehand attempts in a deciding set of a Masters 1000 final, just as the consequences of playing a noon final in Miami started to take a toll on his body (Ferrer ended up cramping later, something I hadn’t seen before).

- Andy Murray committed zero unforced errors in the four return games in which he broke serve … as well as in the tiebreaker. That’s pretty astonishing.

- Having said all of that, I can’t help but marvel at Murray’s Efficiency Ratings. 93% off both wings is phenomenal for such a scrappy, nervy match. No wonder the man from Dunblane has made three straight Grand Slam finals and will be the World No. 2 tomorrow.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1484 on: April 02, 2013, 08:36 AM »

One thing that has been overlooked regarding the match up between Murray vs Ferrer and that is they often hit together in practice sessions, or have done in the past, i'm pretty sure i read that they still do occasionally especially on clay so surely over the years Ferrer is more in tune with Andy's game than he is with the other members of the big four which gives him somewhat more confidence in playing him.
I think that's a very good point.  I've seen it mentioned in just one or two articles, and it is probably most relevant when comparing David's attitude when playing Andy rather than the other three.  Obviously, knowing Andy's game is going to help, but I think he's overly respectful of them, rather than it being an issue with how Andy is or plays, so outwith Andy's control.

That said, if Andy's serve had been working even vaguely well on Sunday, it would have been a much more one-sided affair.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 ... 104 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »