Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions
Murray in 2 - 27 (58.7%)
Murray in 3 - 17 (37%)
Ferrer in 2 - 0 (0%)
Ferrer in 3 - 2 (4.3%)
Total Voters: 46

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 104 Go Down Reply
Author

Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer

(Read 14452 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 09:10 AM »

I think it could go to 3 as they do play tight matches, as has already been said.  But Andy is a much, much better and more versatile player than David and I think his motivation might be slightly greater now that David at least has a masters under his belt whereas even though #2 ranking isn't Andy's goal this year, it's an important stepping stone for the reasons Mr L spelt out recently.

Ferret will know that he only got that Master's by default. The other top players were really not interested and saving themselves for the WTF.
Hope for the best 2 set match possible.

Not a Ferrer fan at all, but just want some people to be proven wrong.

Confused - you don't like Ferrer, but this reads as though you want him to win?
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 09:23 AM »

Ferret will know that he only got that Master's by default. The other top players were really not interested and saving themselves for the WTF.
He took advantage of the top 4 losing early, but I think he'd have won even if Berdych and Del Potro had been really focused on the tournament (he beat Tsonga on the way to the title). His H2H against them is very good and he went on to beat Del Potro at the WTF the next week. Winning a Masters is a great achievement regardless of the route taken to do it, and it clearly meant a lot to him after being in finals before and not winning.

Andy's the clear favourite in those betting odds btw. Rightfully so - if he plays like he did last night then I expect him to win in straight sets. He has the advantage in many areas - but has to make sure he minimises errors which he did a great job of last night.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 09:30 AM »

He took advantage of the top 4 losing early, but I think he'd have won even if Berdych and Del Potro had been really focused on the tournament (he beat Tsonga on the way to the title). His H2H against them is very good and he went on to beat Del Potro at the WTF the next week. Winning a Masters is a great achievement regardless of the route taken to do it, and it clearly meant a lot to him after being in finals before and not winning.

Andy's the clear favourite in those betting odds btw. Rightfully so - if he plays like he did last night then I expect him to win in straight sets. He has the advantage in many areas - but has to make sure he minimises errors which he did a great job of last night.

I really don't understand the betting odds. Incidentally apologies for referring to Ferrer as a Ferret - typo. Although it does fit in some ways, the way he is quite small and dashes about a lot.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 09:45 AM »

I'm a fan of David, but not against Andy.

David's only success on HC against Andy was at the MTF in 2011.

cmonandy

* Murray vs Ferrer.JPG (116.25 KB, 597x948 - viewed 88 times.)
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 09:51 AM »

Thanks for h2h Bev.  I like Ferrer but I think his success is due more to hard work and commitment than the kind of talent Andy has - and all credit to him for achieving so much.   I'm sure winning his first masters meant the world to him - he can only play the guy in front of him, which is what we say when Andy has an easy passage (it does happen occasionally!).  Ferrer does have a tendency to crumple when playing the likes of smugfed  - his serve in particular goes to pieces - but I don't think he's intimidated by Andy in the same way so they often end up having real tussles.  But here's to Andy coming out on top again.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 09:53 AM »

I'm really looking forward to the final. Andy finds a way through Ferrrer on everything but clay so far. There was that win on hard at the WTF of course, but Andy was injured and out of sorts at the time.

Ferrer is tenacious, the reason I like him so much, but I don't think he has Andy's imagination. I think if push comes to shove Andy will find a way. He'll just have too much for Ferrer.

Ferrer is playing pretty well, but I think Andy is favourite for a reason. If Andy comes out like he was in the second and third against Gasquet the final will be over quickly, but bearing in mind how a lot of their matches have gone I think it will be three sets, Andy winning.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 09:54 AM »

Who voted for Ferrer in 3?
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 10:21 AM »

I really don't understand the betting odds. Incidentally apologies for referring to Ferrer as a Ferret - typo. Although it does fit in some ways, the way he is quite small and dashes about a lot.

With the betting odds, if you divide the first number by the second number and multiply that by your stake, then that gives you how much you'd win. The current odds at William Hill are 2/7 for an Andy in and 11/4 for a Ferrer win:

So a £5 stake on an Andy win: 2/7 x 5 = £1.43 winnings.
And a £5 stake on a Ferrer win: 11/4 x 5 = £13.75 winnings.

So Andy really is favoured in this matchup. Smile The betting sites also have calculators where they can work out potential winnings for you.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 10:30 AM »

Who voted for Ferrer in 3?

Prob gangsta  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 10:30 AM »

With the betting odds, if you divide the first number by the second number and multiply that by your stake, then that gives you how much you'd win. The current odds at William Hill are 2/7 for an Andy in and 11/4 for a Ferrer win:

Excellent. Thank you for a very lucid explanation of how it works. I was reading it that you bet 2 on Andy and would get 7 plus your stake back ie 9, and Ferrer you would bet 11 and get 15 back, which seemed to favour Ferrer. Given the bookies invariably come out on top that seemed to favour Ferrer, which had me a bit worried.

However all is clear now. In don't actually bet, but the bookies seem to have a good idea of outcomes. They have to - their livelihood depends on it. I shall rest easier now.

So a £5 stake on an Andy win: 2/7 x 5 = £1.43 winnings.
And a £5 stake on a Ferrer win: 11/4 x 5 = £13.75 winnings.

So Andy really is favoured in this matchup. Smile The betting sites also have calculators where they can work out potential winnings for you.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 10:31 AM »

Ive gone for Andy in 2. (Hopefully) but a Murray win nonetheless :-)
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 10:40 AM »

No worries Masaka. Smile It's rare for them to be this wrong about a matchup like this - the one I remember is when they heavily favoured Djokovic at the French Open 2011 when Federer ended up beating him. But with the Andy/Ferrer matchup on hardcourts, I'm confident in an Andy win - Andy can do everything Ferrer can a bit better, plus he has other aspects to his game too.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 10:55 AM »

Ferrer is a player I'd never understimate-he just never,ever gives up until the last point has been played,and he does put up huge fights against Andy.(That match at Wimbledon last sumer was heart-attack worthy!!) Andy can beat him,but he won't get away with letting anything go away from him like he did yesterday during the first set.I really,really hope he plays like he showed he can during the second and third sets yesterday-if he does this one should be his.Still,this one will be a nail-biter as far as I'm concerned!

That said,I've decided I'm going to try really hard not to be nervous about this match until tomorrow.I don't know how well that'll work,especially this evening,but for now I just want to enjoy Andy's fantastic performance last night,and that he's into another final Smile

IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 10:56 AM »

Big Nose - I don't understand betting odds, but the bookies usually know what they are doing, don't they put Ferrer as the favourite?

No. Andy is 1/3. That means if you back Andy with a £3 bet and you get £4 back if Andy wins
Ferrer is 5-2 which means if you back Ferrer with a £2 bet you get £7 back if Ferrer wins.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #29 on: March 30, 2013, 11:09 AM »

I reckon that makes 18-2 for the season - an outstanding start to 2013 by any standard.  He has nothing to fear against Ferrer. 

The Spaniard is a great player and there is lots to admire about him.  He makes the very best of his ability and overcomes his lack of height against most of his competition.  And he works very hard - he seems to enter every tournament going, doesn't he?

I like him a lot, but Andy has too many arrows in his quiver, and a Ferrer victory would be a surprise.  Andy in two, although they may be close sets.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 104 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »