Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions
Murray in 2 - 27 (58.7%)
Murray in 3 - 17 (37%)
Ferrer in 2 - 0 (0%)
Ferrer in 3 - 2 (4.3%)
Total Voters: 46

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 Go Down Reply
Author

Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer

(Read 17783 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1485 on: April 02, 2013, 09:47 AM »

Some of these stats from one of the links Sparkle posted are quite fascinating.

http://www.changeovertennis.com/stats-andy-murray-rights-the-ship-in-the-miami-final/

Some key ones to note:

- Do notice that Murray committed just three unforced errors after the seventh game (in the final set). In crunch time, Murray found ways to clean up his game

- I can’t get over how great his forehand fared in that (third) set. Think about it: Murray avoided mistakes on 95% of his forehand attempts in a deciding set of a Masters 1000 final, just as the consequences of playing a noon final in Miami started to take a toll on his body (Ferrer ended up cramping later, something I hadn’t seen before).

- Andy Murray committed zero unforced errors in the four return games in which he broke serve … as well as in the tiebreaker. That’s pretty astonishing.

- Having said all of that, I can’t help but marvel at Murray’s Efficiency Ratings. 93% off both wings is phenomenal for such a scrappy, nervy match. No wonder the man from Dunblane has made three straight Grand Slam finals and will be the World No. 2 tomorrow.
Thanks for that TMH.....and yet I have now read two people saying 'Ferrer should have won!'  fainting It was so tight and could have gone either way, but it was Andy who refused to give up and Ferrer who crumbled in the end, so I can't see how people can take the credit away from Andy by inferring he 'shouldn't have won'!  shocking I think anyone who thinks that are on the wrong fansite!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1486 on: April 02, 2013, 10:55 AM »

Caz I have to admit that there came a point in the 3rd set when I felt that Ferrer deserved to win when Andy kept giving back his breaks.  But the fascinating stats that Sparkle posted weren't really evident to us while watching.  In the end, I certainly felt Andy deserved to win as in tennis it's that ability to win the big points that ultimately counts in a match like that.  That said Andy himself graciously said it could have gone either way.
Gnome: I'd wondered that too when I read they hit together but then thought surely Ferrer hits with Rafa too and Rafa took him to the cleaners earlier this year.  But perhaps they don't hit together?  It would be interesting to know because it would certainly help explain why he plays so much better against Andy than the other top 3 - though perhaps it's also because they are both great defenders and counter-punchers?
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1487 on: April 02, 2013, 12:05 PM »

Caz I have to admit that there came a point in the 3rd set when I felt that Ferrer deserved to win when Andy kept giving back his breaks.  But the fascinating stats that Sparkle posted weren't really evident to us while watching.  In the end, I certainly felt Andy deserved to win as in tennis it's that ability to win the big points that ultimately counts in a match like that.  That said Andy himself graciously said it could have gone either way.
Gnome: I'd wondered that too when I read they hit together but then thought surely Ferrer hits with Rafa too and Rafa took him to the cleaners earlier this year.  But perhaps they don't hit together?  It would be interesting to know because it would certainly help explain why he plays so much better against Andy than the other top 3 - though perhaps it's also because they are both great defenders and counter-punchers?
Yes Ruthie......it was sooo tight, but as you say, it's that ability to win the big points that ultimately makes the difference! Yes, either of them could have won, but the fact is, Andy refused to give up and I think that was the gutsiest I have 'ever' seen anyone play! To say that Ferrer 'should' have won, belittles Andy's win and I think he deserves better from his fans!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1488 on: April 02, 2013, 12:28 PM »

@Ruthie
I always used to think that Fed played much better against Andy, those Wimbledon/AO /US grand slams are still raw in my memory, but I think the top players just save their best play for the end of tournaments. Ferrer upped his game because he probably knew it was his last chance in the last chance saloon.
I think Ferrer is Rafa's poodle btw, as Wawa is Fed's and Troicki is Nole's.
But maybe all the French players are "Andy's French Poodles"? Whistle
now there's an idea for a topic:
Whose Poodle? shocking
[ Last edit by blueberryhill April 02, 2013, 06:52 PM ] IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1489 on: April 02, 2013, 12:36 PM »

@Ruthie
I always used to think that Fed played much better against Andy, those Wimbledon/AO /US grand slams are still raw in my memory, but I think the top players just save their best play for the end of tournaments. Ferrer upped his game because he probably knew it was his last chance in the last chance saloon.
Whose The Poodle? shocking

All the Spanish players are Rafa's poodle, whenever they see his face they bend over and set themselves for a spanking.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1490 on: April 02, 2013, 12:42 PM »

All the Spanish players are Rafa's poodle, whenever they see his face they bend over and set themselves for a spanking.
  lmao
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1491 on: April 02, 2013, 12:48 PM »

etc

Thanks PE, great to see all those together. Strange that there were so many Brit tennis journos at IW, but so few at Miami - and is that usual? They'll all be there in MC though I expect.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1492 on: April 02, 2013, 12:51 PM »

@Ruthie
Whose The Poodle? shocking
Simon is Andy's 'poodle'.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1493 on: April 02, 2013, 01:10 PM »

I guess if Britain had any other men in the top 100 they'd be Andy's domestic poodle in same way as those other guys are poodles of their top players.   Of course Nole actually owns a poodle - perhaps he has nicknamed it Victor?
Agree Caz that, even if for no other reason, Andy deserved to win for the guts he showed when he was just about done physically and mentally.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1494 on: April 02, 2013, 02:37 PM »

With Andy being the highest ranked British player I would say he does not have a poodle. He has had to work very hard on his own and he puts a lot into his game and personal fitness. It was only by hard graft that he won his title in Miami and strong determination to win. The UK should start to value him a lot more, unless there is another Andy in the pipeline British Tennis is going nowhere in the mens game.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1495 on: April 02, 2013, 04:55 PM »

Tell you what, watching it live on Sky Sports, I was convinced that Andy's groundstroke on Ferrer's match point was out, and that the Spaniard's challenge would prove to be successful.

I still can't believe he won.  What a match.  

Being an Andy fan doesn't get any easier does it?  What a roller coaster!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1496 on: April 02, 2013, 05:08 PM »

I know what you mean I was so nervous as you said like a roller coaster going up and down with all the breaks of serve. But he won and that is what matters a couple of years ago he would have lost. Such determination and mental strength.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1497 on: April 02, 2013, 05:44 PM »

Reading yesterday's and today's newspapers I'm still gushing with pride every time I see a pic or article on Andy  Heart Heart Heart
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1498 on: April 02, 2013, 06:48 PM »

Let's not forget that Andy is now 19-2 for the season.  What a magnificent start to the year!
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
Seed

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1499 on: April 02, 2013, 07:15 PM »

Let's not forget that Andy is now 19-2 for the season.  What a magnificent start to the year!

Absolutely. Great start. And 2 losses to excellent players (and victories over a lot of potential banana skins). Plenty of players would swap places - in fact I'd say Nole is the only one who wouldn't as he has the slam. Which shows the rankings don't lie.  yay
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »