Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions
Murray in 2 - 27 (58.7%)
Murray in 3 - 17 (37%)
Ferrer in 2 - 0 (0%)
Ferrer in 3 - 2 (4.3%)
Total Voters: 46

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 Go Down Reply
Author

Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer

(Read 17299 times)
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1500 on: April 02, 2013, 07:18 PM »

Thanks for that TMH.....and yet I have now read two people saying 'Ferrer should have won!'  fainting It was so tight and could have gone either way, but it was Andy who refused to give up and Ferrer who crumbled in the end, so I can't see how people can take the credit away from Andy by inferring he 'shouldn't have won'!  shocking I think anyone who thinks that are on the wrong fansite!

I agree Caz.  We can look at some of Andy's losses, eg Nadal at wimbledon. Andy had chances to win, but that's not the same as saying he 'should' have won.  Similarly, Ferrer had chances to win but didn't take them, and, ultimately Andy did.  The above stats are fascinating but not, for me, surprising. I remember commenting during set 3 that I felt Andy was playing better than Ferrer, and, if he could put in a strong service game, he would win.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1501 on: April 02, 2013, 07:18 PM »

The last bit of the match reminded me of his attitude in the Olympic Semi, and Olympic Final. Having saved that match point, he reverted to that implacable "I am not losing this match, so you might as well give up now". I wonder if there was something in his body language, that changed as Ferrer just seemed to give up after that match point was lost?
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1502 on: April 02, 2013, 07:19 PM »

The last bit of the match reminded me of his attitude in the Olympic Semi, and Olympic Final. Having saved that match point, he reverted to that implacable "I am not losing this match, so you might as well give up now". I wonder if there was something in his body language, that changed as Ferrer just seemed to give up after that match point was lost?

Yeah, I like that !
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1503 on: April 02, 2013, 07:22 PM »

All the Spanish players are Rafa's poodle, whenever they see his face they bend over and set themselves for a spanking.
lol  Well Ferrer in the Brazil final was certainly a sight to behold.  Looked like a terrified rabbit caught in a car's headlights!

Tell you what, watching it live on Sky Sports, I was convinced that Andy's groundstroke on Ferrer's match point was out, and that the Spaniard's challenge would prove to be successful.

I still can't believe he won.  What a match. 

Being an Andy fan doesn't get any easier does it?  What a roller coaster!
No - and it probably never will either - but that won't stop us supporting him.  Whilst his unpredictability can be frustrating, it's all the times he's played such magnificent tennis that makes up for it.

I've just watched a video replay of that last game, and I agree that that shot looked as though it was going long, which was what I thought at the time.  Hawkeye is wonderful!  However this is one Andy match I do not want to watch again.  Way too stressful.

I agree Caz.  We can look at some of Andy's losses, eg Nadal at wimbledon. Andy had chances to win, but that's not the same as saying he 'should' have won.  Similarly, Ferrer had chances to win but didn't take them, and, ultimately Andy did.  The above stats are fascinating but not, for me, surprising. I remember commenting during set 3 that I felt Andy was playing better than Ferrer, and, if he could put in a strong service game, he would win.
The only time Andy played badly was in the first set, whilst Ferrer was playing very well, so as the stats refer to the entire match they don't really reflect the ebb and flow of momentum, and therefore I usually find them pretty meaningless.
[ Last edit by Aileen April 02, 2013, 07:31 PM ] IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1504 on: April 02, 2013, 07:37 PM »

lol

I've just watched a video replay of that last game, and I agree that that shot looked as though it was going long, which was what I thought at the time.  Hawkeye is wonderful!  However this is one Andy match I do not want to watch again.  Way too stressful.

I agree with you, but after the match point was saved it gets really good...!!! I part recorded the Sky repeat, so I have a recording with the last bit. It's Sod's law that when I decide to be brave and actually watch a match rather than hiding, it's one like that - mind you the last one I watched was the Olympic Final, so perhaps I shouldn't complain.
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1505 on: April 02, 2013, 07:46 PM »

There's only one stat that really means anything : who won the last point ?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1506 on: April 02, 2013, 07:51 PM »

Unless the player who won the last point retired. Wink
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1507 on: April 02, 2013, 10:02 PM »

Nice one MH - touche`!
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1508 on: April 02, 2013, 10:24 PM »

Yep that's what Lendl says he tells Andy most important in any match win the last point. 
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1509 on: April 02, 2013, 10:52 PM »

Paraphrasing here, but another Lendlism I've heard:

It's not always about how well you serve, it's about how well you serve when it counts.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1510 on: April 02, 2013, 11:40 PM »

I agree with you, but after the match point was saved it gets really good...!!!
I know, I watched it all.  Ferrer was a spent force in the tie-break, whilst Andy seized the moment and just kept on going ...
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1511 on: April 03, 2013, 08:30 AM »

Let's not forget that Andy is now 19-2 for the season.  What a magnificent start to the year!

I know! A very, very good start. clap
IP Logged
Simone

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1512 on: April 03, 2013, 01:37 PM »

I agree on both counts. Andy got a bit frustrated with the umpire once or twice, but it was great to see him not beating himself up. I think he has realised now that it doesn't help him when he has too much of a go at himself and it makes all the difference.

Andy was calmer than me lol. At one point I think I was ready to strangle the crowd lol.

I wasn't able to watch it live as it was on in the middle of the night for me and I had to be functional the next day! I don't know how any Andy fans coped watching that match live - it would have been torturous! I was nervous as hell watching it even though I knew he won - I am sure I would have had to walk away for a breather multiple times had I been able to watch it live.

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1513 on: April 03, 2013, 02:12 PM »

I wasn't able to watch it live as it was on in the middle of the night for me and I had to be functional the next day! I don't know how any Andy fans coped watching that match live - it would have been torturous! I was nervous as hell watching it even though I knew he won - I am sure I would have had to walk away for a breather multiple times had I been able to watch it live.

It was torture Simone for much of the time.  Hopes would rise and then be dashed again each time he gave back a service break in the 3rd set.  I was dry mouthed and shaking by the end.  But what an end - made it all worthwhile!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1514 on: April 03, 2013, 02:18 PM »

Yes ruthies account is spot on. So many ups and downs. I burst into tears when it waz all over lol  Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »