Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions
Murray in 2 - 27 (58.7%)
Murray in 3 - 17 (37%)
Ferrer in 2 - 0 (0%)
Ferrer in 3 - 2 (4.3%)
Total Voters: 46

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 [104] Go Down Reply
Author

Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer

(Read 16489 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1545 on: April 10, 2013, 12:02 PM »

Very Good Idea.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1546 on: April 10, 2013, 02:23 PM »

actually honorary president would be more appropriate on second thoughts
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1547 on: April 10, 2013, 04:51 PM »

I really liked Russell Crowe's shout out to Andy just before the AO final. I think he did that via twitter.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1548 on: April 10, 2013, 09:12 PM »

I must be the only one who has acquired a small degree of serenity for Andy matches now.    Since the Olympics and particularly since the US Open I am much calmer.    I was always so desperate for Andy to win, still am, but in the past I felt almost as if his life depended on winning and now I feel he is so much happier with himself.   I even find myself saying quite quietly "C'mon now Andy it's up to you, just buckle down".    No more screaming at the computer.    Let's see how it goes on clay.

You're honestly not the only one. These days I'm much, much calmer. I don't swear at the TV as much, neither do I feel the urge to take a baseball bat to all of Andy's opponents (seriously, don't even ask lol) and, strangest of all, I don't feel the need to nurse Andy through his matches so much. There was something about that Miami final though. Somehow the atmosphere was nerve-wracking for me even before a ball had been struck. I think it was the awareness of Andy's ranking, plus the knowledge that he was playing an opponent who can make life awkward, but is still beatable.

I approach most of Andy's matches now with the idea that he can win, even if he's pushed, because he beat Djokovic and Federer back to back to win the Olympics, and he fought his way through the USO to get to the final, then he beat Djokovic in five on a hard court to win his first major. Somehow after that everything else seems all right, but in Miami there was a lot hanging on it, so the jitters came out to play again lol.

I think people can get a bit sniffy about the manner in which Andy won Miami. I suppose people will do the 'he could have done this, he could have done that', thing, but you know, at the end of the day Andy won the point he was required to win, the last one. The route there doesn't matter. In fact I think there is a message, with all due respect, for Ferrer in Andy winning in the way he did, i.e. 'even when I'm not playing my best I can still find a way through you'. That's exactly what Andy did.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1549 on: April 10, 2013, 09:15 PM »

They can sniff all they like - Andy has the W after his name and the trophy in his cabinet. Job done!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Miami F: Andy Murray vs David Ferrer « Reply #1550 on: April 11, 2013, 05:17 PM »

In my case I'd say I was always very sure Andy's going to win a Slam; in fact, I spent much of my time here trying to convince others whenever there was some doubt, especially after a bad performance and that happened a lot last year. Anyway, it just came down to basically when Andy’s going to win his first Slam. And now that being in the past, new sets of requirements have kicked in. It was bound to happen because I never believed Andy’s a one Slam wonder. He has much more potential than that and so I get nervous when he’s about to enter a big tournament. The match in the Miami final, didn’t matter who the opponent was, was particularly a bit nerve-wrecking for that reason. Because not only I wanted Andy to his first Masters after a long time but also, I wanted him to get the No. 2 ranking as well.

And now I want him to get a clay title preferably beating one of the top players. So this expectation is pretty high and it’s going to make me very nervous obviously, but I don’t want to complain because I want this to happen. I remember my Sampras days – no matter how many Slams he won and no matter many years he was No. 1, we still got equally nervous each time, so I think it comes with the territory…for many at least. I am typically of calm nature though – I don’t panic unless I see a real reason to panic. I didn’t panic against Del Potro’s match because after the 2nd set, I was very sure Andy was going to lose the match. Andy showed absolutely no sign changing his game in the 2nd set and that didn’t give me any hope. Same thing happened at the AO. I gave up after the 2nd set. Was not at all convinced Andy’s going to win that match; however, I had high hopes when it came to Wimbledon final even after the 3rd set, but that didn't go well and so was very disppointed. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 [104] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »