Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Miami F: Murray vs Djokovic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Andy? - 35 (81.4%)
Novak? - 5 (11.6%)
Undecided? - 3 (7%)
Total Voters: 39

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 Go Down Reply
Author

Miami F: Murray vs Djokovic

(Read 6844 times)
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Miami F: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #600 on: April 02, 2012, 08:41 AM »

Just mulling over the match.
I know it was very hot, brutal conditions, but wasn't it unusual for Andy to take so long between points? I think it came up at one time as being ave. 32 seconds. Usually he just gets on with things.
I hope he's not being distracted by trying out other 'tactics'.

Still disappointed as it seems like an opportunity missed. But, let's hope the clay-court season brings good things.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Miami F: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #601 on: April 02, 2012, 09:17 AM »

Just hope they didn't get frightened off by some of the dreadful negative comments coming from the usual duo. Whistle
Yes let's face it , everyone moaning like mad this time last year!! Tons better , it was a strange week, Andy has gained points onwards and up wards, everything better this year in Andys attitude.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Miami F: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #602 on: April 02, 2012, 09:23 AM »

Bignose @7.39: Not a poor excuse at all.  Comms such as Fleming, who I respect, were saying beforehand that this could definitely create a problem for him in terms of loss of rhthym never mind match sharpness.  Of course Andy himself never makes excuses.  He just accepts Nole played better than he did on the day.  As others have said, if you think back to how we were all feeling last year at this time when we didn't know Andy would come back from his dip in the clay court season, I don't think we should be too downhearted.  And Andy will be going into claycourt season with much greater confidence than last year.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Miami F: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #603 on: April 02, 2012, 12:59 PM »

Nole is simply an incredibly solid player.
If both play very well I believe Andy will win more often than not. As he will inevitably throw Novak off balance.
If neither do then I believe Novak will be the winner more often given
how efficient he is from the baseline.
And never off the baseline it seems.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Miami F: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #604 on: April 02, 2012, 05:13 PM »

theycanbillme, Nole is not a natural volleyer either, whereas our Andy is superb!
I noticed he missed one that is usually so easy for him, yesterday. Must've been really tight and I guess when that happens his serve goes AWOl too.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Miami F: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #605 on: April 02, 2012, 05:31 PM »

And I guess when he messes up a volley it doesn't encourage him to move in to the net more.  I wish Mr L would sit him down and show him what a wonderful volleyer he can be using matches where he did come forwards more.  After all he himself said recently what wonderful hands Andy has and our old fave Johnny Mac has said that Andy reminds him of himself - what greater accolade could he receive?
 But I do have a feeling I've heard Andy say that coming into the net is not a good strategy against Nole.  May have imagined it and I don't know enough to be able to assess whether true or not.   
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Miami F: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #606 on: April 02, 2012, 05:47 PM »

And I guess when he messes up a volley it doesn't encourage him to move in to the net more.  I wish Mr L would sit him down and show him what a wonderful volleyer he can be using matches where he did come forwards more.  After all he himself said recently what wonderful hands Andy has and our old fave Johnny Mac has said that Andy reminds him of himself - what greater accolade could he receive?
 But I do have a feeling I've heard Andy say that coming into the net is not a good strategy against Nole.  May have imagined it and I don't know enough to be able to assess whether true or not.   

As Ive said before Andy will have to learn to play the right way, even if he loses a particular match because in the long run thats where the grand slam trophies shall be hiding. Agreed about the volleying, he is clearly one of the very best. I doubt he said coming to a net was a bad strategy as he was up at the net all the time at the AO against Novak with great results.
I cant for the life of me recollect when Novak has come in, Ive seen it once or twice however but it is rare.
No one can dispute that Andy's game is so much bigger than Nadal's or Djokovic's, or even Rogers so there is more to perfect and finetune but damn the basics must be improved, because the other 3 are more solid in key areas. Still a lot of players dissappear from the top 20 when they are in the process of transforming their game. Andy appears to be handling the transformation better than most. So far.
Things might yet get worse however, before they get better.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Miami F: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #607 on: April 02, 2012, 05:53 PM »

At the end of the day i believe that if he had played & gotten through the Raonic and Rafa matches, he would have been match sharp and would have taken the title probably.
I must admit that i thought that he would win anyway, perhaps dropping the first set but Novak has proven he is Number 1 for a reason.
Whats done is done.
At least the pressure is off of him as a lot of disbelievers are getting overly dramatic about this result. Let them I say.
There are bigger opportunities ahead.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Miami F: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #608 on: April 02, 2012, 07:11 PM »

Think back two years and remember the mess Novak got himself in when he changed his racquet and his serve - so many pundits had written him off and now look at him.  Andy is one of the best shot makers in the business and he also has a great strategic brain on court.  One of these days it will all come together never fear!  I actually think this title was more important to Djoko than to Andy - his results hadn't been great since the Aussie Open - he needed to reassert himself.
IP Logged
lionel

Re: Miami F: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #609 on: April 02, 2012, 07:53 PM »

It seems Murray has made clear improvements to parts of his game that were letting him down - second serve and forehand come to mind, but he still hasn't solved the biggest problem - his lack of consistency. Not just consistency from match to match, but within matches themselves. Murray's game seems to go AWOL more frequently and for longer than his main rivals' on the tour and it's this, I think, rather than any particular technical deficiencies that's preventing him getting his first slam. I don't know if his wildly fluctuating standard of play can be attributed to wavering concentration or dips in confidence but I really hope Lendl can identify the cause and address it.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Miami F: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #610 on: April 02, 2012, 08:06 PM »

^Good post Lionel, spot on.
IP Logged
steve bywaters
Junior

Re: Miami F: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #611 on: April 02, 2012, 09:22 PM »

It seems Murray has made clear improvements to parts of his game that were letting him down - second serve and forehand come to mind, but he still hasn't solved the biggest problem - his lack of consistency. Not just consistency from match to match, but within matches themselves. Murray's game seems to go AWOL more frequently and for longer than his main rivals' on the tour and it's this, I think, rather than any particular technical deficiencies that's preventing him getting his first slam. I don't know if his wildly fluctuating standard of play can be attributed to wavering concentration or dips in confidence but I really hope Lendl can identify the cause and address it.

Lendl can't identify anything. He just want's to be seen at the big events once in a while. As far as I can see he hasn't made a blind bit of difference to Murray who's still clueless as to why he totally bottles it against the big boys.
And no he hasn't made clear improvements. His 2nd serve is still absolute rubbish and his forehand's the worst in the top 10, even his backhands going west. Footwork's atrocious and surprise surprise his mental state's back to its pre Lendl catatonia - defeatist, happy with being an also-ran, clueless about why he flops when it matters, etc etc.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Miami F: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #612 on: April 02, 2012, 09:30 PM »

Erm.. Steve... may I remind you of this please, or were you just being constructive, or just p****d off like most of us feel right now? Whistle

In a previous incarnation I used to be ultra negative towards Murray - even more than Noodly Appendage!  never did Murray any good so whats the point,
 and if I can't be at least constructive I DONT SAY ANYTHING.   running down Murray has been done to death
IP Logged
steve bywaters
Junior

Re: Miami F: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #613 on: April 02, 2012, 09:43 PM »

Erm.. Steve... may I remind you of this please, or were you just being constructive, or just p****d off like most of us feel right now? Whistle

Had to say something I couldn't stand it any more. This Lendl things a joke
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Miami F: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #614 on: April 02, 2012, 09:48 PM »

^ Why do you think it's a joke?  Even tho they both share a sense of humour, I think Andy and Lendl are pretty serious about the task in hand.  Rome wasn't built in a day.
I'm hanging tough with them, even if it's sore on my arms at times. hug
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »