Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predict the future
Andy in 2 - 19 (52.8%)
Andy in 3 - 14 (38.9%)
Chilly in 2 - 1 (2.8%)
Chilly in 3 - 0 (0%)
No stupid option available this time - 2 (5.6%)
Total Voters: 36

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 Go Down Reply
Author

Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic

(Read 11214 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #840 on: March 29, 2013, 12:59 AM »

Gasquet 3-0 against Andy in MS1000....

Andy 4-0 against Gasquet in GS. What's your point?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #841 on: March 29, 2013, 01:17 AM »

Andy 4-0 against Gasquet in GS. What's your point?

What's your point? Slams are played over a best of 5 format, MS1000 are best of 3.

Dunno why you mentioned their H2H in slams, it doesn't matter at all here.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #842 on: March 29, 2013, 01:18 AM »

What's your point? Slams are played over a best of 5 format, MS1000 are best of 3.

Dunno why you mentioned their H2H in slams, it doesn't matter at all here.

On another note, your RTR today was woeful.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #843 on: March 29, 2013, 01:18 AM »

On another note, your RTR today was woeful.

STOP BRINGING UP RTR IN THESE THREADS
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #844 on: March 29, 2013, 01:19 AM »

STOP BRINGING UP RTR IN THESE THREADS

Soz bruv, had to mention it.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #845 on: March 29, 2013, 01:22 AM »

Gasquet 3-0 against Andy in MS1000....
Hasn't beaten Murray outside of clay since 2007.

In-fact, since Murray climbed above Gasquet in the rankings, Gasquet's only win against him was last year in Rome.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #846 on: March 29, 2013, 01:22 AM »

watched the Gasquet match and he has made some improvments to his game. Great backhand. 4-3 h2h in favour of Murray. Andy won 4 out of last 5 meets. Andy will have to play much better than he did today to win this one I reckon. Expect a tough match with some great shots and rallies.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #847 on: March 29, 2013, 02:46 AM »

Just watched Cillic match --- Cillic self destructed Andy played solid but not spectacular, still not too impressed with Andys form only played 2 good sets since AO 1st set vs delpo and 1st set vs Seppi, but his returning today was much better than it has been in a while so top marks there.

Uh i don't like Gasquet, Andy should straight set him really, but Richie could potentially play insipred tennis and win as he may run out of time to choke in a Bo3.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #848 on: March 29, 2013, 10:46 AM »

watched the Gasquet match and he has made some improvments to his game. Great backhand. 4-3 h2h in favour of Murray. Andy won 4 out of last 5 meets. Andy will have to play much better than he did today to win this one I reckon. Expect a tough match with some great shots and rallies.
That's my opinion too ABF. This will be a tricky but an entertaining match, I think.
Andy'd better be very sharp today and get on top of Reechard straight away.
He is playing well and will be doing his best to get this win. Am a bit  nervous
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #849 on: March 29, 2013, 11:33 AM »

Andy has the ability to adapt different tactics for different matches.  Seems to me that against Cilic he realised early on that his opponent was likely to make a mistake in the rallies first, so he adopted a mostly defensive game plan, keeping the rally alive long enough for Cilic to self-destruct.

It's not as exciting a game plan as going on the attack, which is what he'll probably need to do against Gasquet, but, hey, he got the job done!
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #850 on: March 29, 2013, 11:35 AM »

One thing I noticed Gasquet was doing well yesterday was staying in the rallies that Berdych was going all out in. Tomas wasn't missing, but Gasquet was just soaking up the pace from Berdych's blistering shots and most of the time returning the favour with a destructive backhand down the line. Perhaps if Murray plays a slow defensive game from the on-set then adopt a more attacking pace he could win this match.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #851 on: March 29, 2013, 12:13 PM »

So, looking over what everyone has said it was just little old me who thought that was the easiest to predict of all Andy's matches so far? I honestly expected Cilic to come out and have a go before Andy found his feet and pulled the rug out from under him, and that's pretty much what happened.

The way I see it is that Andy is in the semi's without dropping a set. To my mind he is playing a bit better with each round and is looking more confident too. Whether he is playing his 'best' or not is neither here nor there. A win is a win, you don't get points for artistic impression in tennis.

I'm not thinking about what happened against Delpo at Indian Wells. Indian Wells is totally different to Miami in terms of conditions. Andy had spent six weeks out, so was always unlikely to hit top gear in IW, and Delpo was clearly having a great run of form. He did beat Djokovic too, not just Andy, and I don't hear anyone worrying about Djokovic's form. You could argue people might have a point if they did, considering he is already gone in Miami. Going back to IW though, sure Andy didn't get as far as he has in Miami (and he isn't done yet hopefully), but he went better than he did last year and the year before, so I think there is a lot to be positive about. To my mind the fact that Andy is winning without really playing his best says something about him.

I think Andy is looking good in Miami. He looks pretty relaxed, isn't getting down on himself when things don't go his way, and he has responded to challenges well. It's all good so far.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #852 on: March 29, 2013, 12:20 PM »

So, looking over what everyone has said it was just little old me who thought that was the easiest to predict of all Andy's matches so far? I honestly expected Cilic to come out and have a go before Andy found his feet and pulled the rug out from under him, and that's pretty much what happened.

The way I see it is that Andy is in the semi's without dropping a set. To my mind he is playing a bit better with each round and is looking more confident too. Whether he is playing his 'best' or not is neither here nor there. A win is a win, you don't get points for artistic impression in tennis.

I'm not thinking about what happened against Delpo at Indian Wells. Indian Wells is totally different to Miami in terms of conditions. Andy had spent six weeks out, so was always unlikely to hit top gear in IW, and Delpo was clearly having a great run of form. He did beat Djokovic too, not just Andy, and I don't hear anyone worrying about Djokovic's form. You could argue people might have a point if they did, considering he is already gone in Miami. Going back to IW though, sure Andy didn't get as far as he has in Miami (and he isn't done yet hopefully), but he went better than he did last year and the year before, so I think there is a lot to be positive about. To my mind the fact that Andy is winning without really playing his best says something about him.

I think Andy is looking good in Miami. He looks pretty relaxed, isn't getting down on himself when things don't go his way, and he has responded to challenges well. It's all good so far.

Being honest here, does Andy really need to play his best? He has faced Tomic (who gave up), Dimitrov (who died after his 5-2 lead), Seppi (simply wasn't good enough) and Cilic (inconsistent to the T). Andy's approach to this tournament his good. I see him winning the tournament without dropping a set.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #853 on: March 29, 2013, 12:24 PM »

I'm sure his opponents would not be happy when they have played well and still lost in straight sets to Andy to read some of the comments re Andy's game, that he is not playing well etc. To my mind I think we are not giving respect to his opponents. Andy is a very clever player by playing different tactics against different players and it might not be exciting but gets the job done.
In the Cilic match at the end Cillic was putting everything he had against Andy and that is why we had the long games, however I think most would have felt fairly certain that Andy would win.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #854 on: March 29, 2013, 12:25 PM »

He's come this far without dropping a set.  Not really sure what else people want of him.  Shrug
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »