Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predict the future
Andy in 2 - 19 (52.8%)
Andy in 3 - 14 (38.9%)
Chilly in 2 - 1 (2.8%)
Chilly in 3 - 0 (0%)
No stupid option available this time - 2 (5.6%)
Total Voters: 36

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 [58] 59 Go Down Reply
Author

Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic

(Read 11212 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #855 on: March 29, 2013, 12:26 PM »

He's come this far without dropping a set.  Not really sure what else people want of him.  Shrug

An Olympic style run is probably what people want.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #856 on: March 29, 2013, 12:27 PM »

Don't get me wrong, of course we all want to see him play the stunning tennis we know he can, but it's important he paces himself and plays that kind of match when it matters.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #857 on: March 29, 2013, 12:33 PM »

Have just watched the highlights, which was most of the match, and feel that Andy just did what he had to.  I agree with Elly he needs to conserve his mental and physical energy in order to play the rest of the tournament.  My feeling is that his game has matured so much which means he does not panic and only does as much as necessary.  He still mananged to come through without dropping a set.

I must admit I cannot think what else people want from him.  I know he wants this but the clay season is also on his mind.
[ Last edit by tamila March 29, 2013, 12:36 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #858 on: March 29, 2013, 12:46 PM »

I agree that we're perhaps being hyper-critical because Andy has set such high standards that we want him to reach every match.  But one thing I would want from him is better serving than he managed yesterday.   And he'll certainly need it against Gasquet.  But if he hasn't quite got his rhythm yet, it can be very difficult to get the serving right.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #859 on: March 29, 2013, 12:47 PM »

Don't get me wrong, of course we all want to see him play the stunning tennis we know he can, but it's important he paces himself and plays that kind of match when it matters.

I suppose you're right. I'll always watch Andy when I can, whether he's playing his most attractive Tennis or not. Just these last few months have felt dry and I would just like to see an entertaining Andy match for once. Oh well.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #860 on: March 29, 2013, 12:53 PM »

So, looking over what everyone has said it was just little old me who thought that was the easiest to predict of all Andy's matches so far? I honestly expected Cilic to come out and have a go before Andy found his feet and pulled the rug out from under him, and that's pretty much what happened.

The way I see it is that Andy is in the semi's without dropping a set. To my mind he is playing a bit better with each round and is looking more confident too. Whether he is playing his 'best' or not is neither here nor there. A win is a win, you don't get points for artistic impression in tennis.

I'm not thinking about what happened against Delpo at Indian Wells. Indian Wells is totally different to Miami in terms of conditions. Andy had spent six weeks out, so was always unlikely to hit top gear in IW, and Delpo was clearly having a great run of form. He did beat Djokovic too, not just Andy, and I don't hear anyone worrying about Djokovic's form. You could argue people might have a point if they did, considering he is already gone in Miami. Going back to IW though, sure Andy didn't get as far as he has in Miami (and he isn't done yet hopefully), but he went better than he did last year and the year before, so I think there is a lot to be positive about. To my mind the fact that Andy is winning without really playing his best says something about him.

I think Andy is looking good in Miami. He looks pretty relaxed, isn't getting down on himself when things don't go his way, and he has responded to challenges well. It's all good so far.

Do you know what I love you tee jay.  wub I read your posts always so sensible and analytical. Love the way you keep your head when the rest of us around you are loosing ours. Thanks. I really hope your right. Btw I don't think Andy played abad match at all yesterday I didn't have to hide behind the sofa once. 
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #861 on: March 29, 2013, 12:58 PM »

I suppose you're right. I'll always watch Andy when I can, whether he's playing his most attractive Tennis or not. Just these last few months have felt dry and I would just like to see an entertaining Andy match for once. Oh well.
I do know what you mean, PE, but I just think Andy seems far more measured now in terms of what he needs to do in a match in order to win.  I suppose that does make things a bit less of do or die, and maybe we're not seeing his spectacular side as yet this year.  However, am sure that'll manifest over the coming months!  yes
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #862 on: March 29, 2013, 01:18 PM »

Do you know what I love you tee jay.  wub I read your posts always so sensible and analytical. Love the way you keep your head when the rest of us around you are loosing ours. Thanks. I really hope your right. Btw I don't think Andy played abad match at all yesterday I didn't have to hide behind the sofa once. 

Oh it's nice to be loved lol.

I don't know about sensible, and I really don't know about analytical (some would just say anal, but that's another discussion for another time lol). I just say what I feel.

I just think we are hard on Andy sometimes, almost as hard as he is on himself. It's understandable, we all want the best for him, but I think we have to be fair as well. I love Andy's 'pretty' game, don't get me wrong, and I also love to see him hammer opponents (he is one of the few I can watch in demolition mode to be honest) but I also don't care how he wins as long as he wins.

The thing that strikes me about Andy is that in the past, say in the majors for example, he would play superbly and all would be well and good. Then, if he had a match where he was struggling a bit, even just a tiny bit, he would get frustrated and down on himself. What I think he does so well now is to raise his game when he needs to, so there is always another gear to go to. I'm sure part of that ability to raise his game as and when is down to staying in control mentally, so his thinking is clearer in times of trouble. To put it bluntly, it's less of 'Holy crap I'm in a hole', and more of 'All right then, this is what I need to do', and it often works, which makes watching him come through a lot less problematic!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #863 on: March 29, 2013, 01:20 PM »

What's your point? Slams are played over a best of 5 format, MS1000 are best of 3.

Dunno why you mentioned their H2H in slams, it doesn't matter at all here.

And yet Andy has 8 Masters (best of 3) while Gasquet has none. That's on top of 4-0 GS win over him. My point is, Andy overall is by far the better player. Yes, Gasquet had a couple of win over Andy in Masters more than 5 years ago. To bank on this is to imply nothing has changed in between while it, in fact, has. And example would be to say someone who had a couple of win over Nole a long time ago would have the same impact on Nole's game now, while nothing can be further from the truth. And the match in Rome just last year doesn't count simply because Andy had different priorities and he did beat him at RG following the loss in Rome. This just goes to show Andy took things far more seriously in Slams last year than the Masters. And that had nothing to do with best of 3 or best of 5 format.

Having said that, Gasquet definitely has the goods to trouble an average Murray but Andy will eventually find a way to come through, if he's serious about this tournament and I am fairly sure he is.  
[ Last edit by Emma Jean March 29, 2013, 01:57 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #864 on: March 29, 2013, 01:36 PM »

I agree that we're perhaps being hyper-critical because Andy has set such high standards that we want him to reach every match.  But one thing I would want from him is better serving than he managed yesterday.   And he'll certainly need it against Gasquet.  But if he hasn't quite got his rhythm yet, it can be very difficult to get the serving right.

Andy was never under any genuine threat in this match. I can't speak for others but I was never once nervous. You don't get 7-1 H2H over someone for nothing. Granted Cilic broke Andy first but not only it was an early break but also Andy broke him right back. This went on for several games until Andy got the final break and hold on to his serve to take the 1st set. Where was the threat in all this? Nowhere frankly because Cilic never had a chance to serve the set out. As to the 2nd set, it was definitely steadier than the 1st but still, Andy was far more in control than Cilic throughout the set. Do the likes of boogers actually watch Cilic on a regular basis? Because against the top players, he's performance is almost always like this. He mentally collapses at some point even when he leads comfortably and it's not something outside the game but very much a part of the game. The only reason why the top players are so successful is because of this very reason. In any case, despite the few breaks of serves, Andy was never under any trouble. It wasn't a smooth victory but it didn't need to be. As I see it, Andy already beat a handful of good players so far and in straight sets so far and I really thing that should be the main focus here. No point dismissing your opponents 1 and 0 and then take yourself out 2 and 4 against a 35 year old.

Let's keep perspective in place. Federer has seen a series of losses already to Andy, Benneteau, Berdych etc. this year. Nole has seen a couple of losses already to Del Potro and Haas. Yes, Nadal has won IW but he's relatively fresh right now and had a very nice draw, but who knows how the year will go for him in the end. Andy has seen two losses so far but he's also won Brisbane and made the AO final. And now we here in Miami semi. He's tagged to win the title or so I hope. So he's doing very well given all that and in very good company. That's how things should be looked at and not how the west was won.

IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #865 on: March 29, 2013, 02:23 PM »

I must admit I cannot think what else people want from him.  I know he wants this but the clay season is also on his mind.

Indeed - would they rather he played amazing 'kamikaze' style tennis going for outrageous winners off every ball ... and lost? Also agree re clay court season - I felt watching yesterday's match that he was playing with that in mind,in a style that could hopefullyhelp him on clay.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #866 on: March 29, 2013, 02:29 PM »

Interesting actually that in terms of losses, Andy is the only one of the top four who hasn't lost to someone out of the top 10 (well, top 6 even). In past years he's usually the one who's most prone to a shock exit. So far this year his only losses have been to Djokovic and Del Potro, whilst Djokovic has lost to Haas, Federer to Benneteau and Nadal to Zeballos.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #867 on: March 29, 2013, 02:35 PM »

Every time after a win there are loads of posts saying Andy will have to step up his game to beat the next guy.    We're now at the semi-final and it seems he will have to step up his game to beat Gasquet.    It looks as if Andy, Ivan et al know what they are doing.   Keep it going boys.    
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #868 on: March 29, 2013, 03:01 PM »

Every time after a win there are loads of posts saying Andy will have to step up his game to beat the next guy.    We're now at the semi-final and it seems he will have to step up his game to beat Gasquet.    It looks as if Andy, Ivan et al know what they are doing.   Keep it going boys.     

Like I said before, Andy now doesn't have to play 110% because he inevitable has a winning H2H against all the players left in the field, also there's a possibility he could play Haas in the final as Ferrer is not playing particularly well and I don't see Haas notching up 2 Top 5 wins in one week.
IP Logged
curtis71
Satellite Level

Re: Miami QF: Andy Murray vs Marin Cilic « Reply #869 on: March 29, 2013, 03:37 PM »

Andy plays differently against different players depending on their weaknesses. Murray done what he needed to do to win against Cilic, and he done it well. Murray is on form whether you see it or not, sure his first serve could be a little better but it is when it counts and thats all that matters. Murray in 2
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 [58] 59 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »