Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 Go Down Reply
Author

Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic

(Read 10912 times)
curtis71
Satellite Level

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #510 on: March 23, 2013, 11:02 PM »

Thanks dani.  I'm sure Ross would have been watching this.
whats the message say?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #511 on: March 23, 2013, 11:12 PM »

That sounds like a really good idea - it could help him focus during matches. Aside from his self-inflicted bad behaviour, it can't have been easy dealing with all the negative press coming from Australia and the pressure of expectation for him to be another Lleyton/Rafter. Though I see he's said he was suffering from the flu today, so perhaps illness was a factor in his poor performance.

Really impressed by how well Gimeno-Traver is playing at the moment - could we be in store for another top 8 upset?
I must go and watch the third set.  This is getting very interesting.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #512 on: March 23, 2013, 11:17 PM »

whats the message say?

A mixture of English and Spanish - "I have more hair than you".  This apparently refers to the fact that both have signs of going bald, and, of course, Ross will lose a lot of hair due to chemo.  It's been a joke between them though before Ross was diagnosed with HL.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #513 on: March 23, 2013, 11:20 PM »

^ I think that's fab.  Just the kind of friend you need to keep your sense of humour on the go in a crisis. 
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #514 on: March 23, 2013, 11:42 PM »

IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #515 on: March 23, 2013, 11:45 PM »

Well despite Gimeno Traver's best efforts, Birdy is going to survive the match, looks like. Berdych 5 -2 up, 3rd set.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #516 on: March 23, 2013, 11:58 PM »

Well despite Gimeno Traver's best efforts, Birdy is going to survive the match, looks like. Berdych 5 -2 up, 3rd set.
I'd a feeling he'd survive.  Unfortunately just after I started to watch the third set I got interrupted, so that was that.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #517 on: March 24, 2013, 12:21 AM »

Apparantly Bernard was sick
He's playing doubles right now, so can't be that sick.  Unless he and Lleyton feel they've nothing left to lose, so may as well go for it.  I just hope he's not contagious.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #518 on: March 24, 2013, 12:22 AM »

^ lol
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #519 on: March 24, 2013, 08:39 AM »

Really impressed by how well Gimeno-Traver is playing at the moment - could we be in store for another top 8 upset?

It's hard to believe this is the same guy who lost to Kyle Edmund at Wimbledon last year.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #520 on: March 24, 2013, 10:44 AM »

Well that was a glorified practice session wasn't it? Could Tomic have tried any less, short of having a lie down on the court and telling Andy just to get on with it on his own for a bit?

I have a feeling this was good for Andy though. He wasn't playing his best, but it was more than good enough for Tomic, and in the second set Andy lifted his game quite well, so maybe yesterday just helped to play him in a bit.

I don't know what's going on with Tomic. A couple of years or so ago he looked very promising, but now he doesn't appear to care very much, unless a match is going his way. I don't really buy the idea that he hadn't acclimatised, or that it was jet leg/illness etc. The fact is that this has happened before.

Tomic is still young and he probably does still have some growing up to do. Then again, I think he could do all the growing up in the world and it might not change the way his attitude stinks. I take the point that Andy had an attitude at that age, still does to a point, but his was all about wanting to do well, to be the best he was/is capable of being. Tomic's attitude seems to be about only being bothered when it is all coming easily to him. I can't help wondering if some of it is rebellion, that slightly perverse thing that kids can do sometimes when they feel they are being pushed, where they stop giving their best because someone somewhere is pushing them too much.

I'm looking forward to the match with Dimitrov. It should be good. At least it has potential to be a match, which is more than can be said about yesterday, not that I'm complaining. Andy won, that's all that bothers me.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #521 on: March 24, 2013, 07:29 PM »

Tomic can't use humid conditions as an excuse ....the guy grew up in the QLD area in Oz...very similar humidity to Miami. His tennis base is listed as Monte Carlo..... again a warm place in summer. He played crap. That's it.

A lot of people keep saying he has so much talent.... yet he keeps playing long spells of mediocre tennis. Andy beat Fed at his peak when he was 19..... Tomic is nowhere near that performance level yet.

I just think he'll be a good player if/when he matures.....nothing much higher than good tho. Dimitrov, Janowicz & Ranoic impress more.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #522 on: March 24, 2013, 08:20 PM »

Well I'm home now and hoping what my family dvr'd is Andy's match. I'm glad he won you all must have been sending him great vibes. So Tomic looked like he was tanking, yes he needs to do some growing up.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #523 on: March 24, 2013, 08:35 PM »

Managed to watch the highlights on Sky thias afternoon.  Tomis did not look sick to me just angry and fed up which obviously affected his play.  Perhaps he thought he really had a chance against Andy and then became disillusioned.  He went on to play doubles so cannot of been 'very ill'!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #524 on: March 25, 2013, 06:22 PM »

Compare and contrast: How to deal with ballkids
http://cowbell.typepad.com/forty_deuce/2013/03/be-nice-to-ballkids-bernie-tomic-murray.html

Tomic:

Andy:

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »