Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 36 Go Down Reply
Author

Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic

(Read 12213 times)
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #75 on: March 22, 2013, 11:38 AM »

Tomic is the least favourite tennis player to come out of Australia!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #76 on: March 22, 2013, 11:49 AM »

Tom Nash ‏@GameSetNash 2h
Tongue firmly in cheek for this #murray #tomic preview. http://www.10sballs.com/2013/03/21/early-test-for-murray/ … If Tomic wins I'll be mortified, and probably to blame.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #77 on: March 22, 2013, 01:44 PM »

Tom Nash ‏@GameSetNash 2h
Tongue firmly in cheek for this #murray #tomic preview. http://www.10sballs.com/2013/03/21/early-test-for-murray/ … If Tomic wins I'll be mortified, and probably to blame.

I think PF has a bit of competition in the humour stakes. Admittedly, it's about as subtle as a sledge-hammer, but it is funny lol.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #78 on: March 22, 2013, 02:52 PM »

Tomic is the least favourite tennis player to come out of Australia!

Yup...Australia has produced many great tennis players... I hope he isnt one of them...a complete tool of a guy.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #79 on: March 22, 2013, 03:20 PM »

This long article talks about Andy backing Heather Watson (I've posted in Other Players thread) but I've picked out where he talks about his upcoming match with Tomic:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21897964
Murray, who has a house in Miami, is hoping that home comforts will help him through his opening match, a second-round meeting with Australian Tomic, who won his first ATP title in Sydney in January.

"I spend three or four months a year here, and it's nice to go back after a match and not have to stay in a hotel," he said.

Tomic beat French qualifier Marc Gicquel 7-5 7-6 (7-3) in round one to set up the meeting with Murray.

"Bernard's one of the top guys coming through," Murray said. "He started off the year very well, winning his first title and reaching the fourth round of the Australian Open.

"He's not unbelievably quick, but he has very good anticipation, so he also looks as if he has a lot of time - that's why he will be difficult to play against."

Murray could rise to second in the world rankings for the first time since 2009 if he were to win the tournament in Miami.

But he said: "Getting to number two would be nice but it's not the ultimate goal for me. I try to concentrate on winning events if possible and the rankings will take care of themselves."
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #80 on: March 22, 2013, 03:23 PM »

Another one here with a vid (which won't play for me, of course. Sigh..)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21895462
Andy Murray unfazed by rankings as he eyes Miami Masters title

Andy Murray insists he is more interested in winning tennis titles than climbing the world rankings.

Winning the Miami Masters would see the world number three leapfrog Roger Federer and move into second spot.

However, the Scot who faces Bernard Tomic, said: "It's not something I'll be thinking about when I play my first match.

"It'd be a nice thing to do but getting to number two isn't a goal of mine."

Federer is not in action in Miami, nevertheless Murray believes adding to his tennis titles is more important than rankings.

"I'd rather try to focus on winning an event and get there by deserving it rather than working out exactly how many points you need or reaching a semi-final or whatever it is," he said.

"The one thing it does help with, if you get to number two, it's seedings for the bigger events and that's why it would be of benefit to me."

Australian Tomic earned the right to face Murray in the second round at Miami with victory over qualifier Marc Gicquel.

And Murray expects the 20-year-old to provide a stern test in the second round clash.

"He's very unpredictable and has a very unorthodox game and is extremely talented," said Murray.

"He uses a lot of variety and has very good anticipation. So, it's a very tough first match."
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #81 on: March 22, 2013, 03:25 PM »

Not got a problem with Tomic, I'm sure he'll improve the way he presents himself as his career goes on, just like Andy did. I kinda feel sorry for the kid, he's now got the pressure of a nation who's doing **** in sports for their standards on his shoulders, and it must be hard for him to handle/adjust to that. I think people need to remember that the guy is only 20 after all, and he shouldn't have to overnight change his personality to a fake one just because he's in the spotlight, I mean as a 20 year old myself I do a lot of stupid **** but people accept me for it, and don't slate me because it's expected for that age range. We all still want to go out and have fun at this age, muck around etc, and I'm sure Bernard just wants to be left to it.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #82 on: March 22, 2013, 03:26 PM »

This long article talks about Andy backing Heather Watson (I've posted in Other Players thread) but I've picked out where he talks about his upcoming match with Tomic:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21897964
Murray, who has a house in Miami, is hoping that home comforts will help him through his opening match, a second-round meeting with Australian Tomic, who won his first ATP title in Sydney in January.

"I spend three or four months a year here, and it's nice to go back after a match and not have to stay in a hotel," he said.

Tomic beat French qualifier Marc Gicquel 7-5 7-6 (7-3) in round one to set up the meeting with Murray.

"Bernard's one of the top guys coming through," Murray said. "He started off the year very well, winning his first title and reaching the fourth round of the Australian Open.

"He's not unbelievably quick, but he has very good anticipation, so he also looks as if he has a lot of time - that's why he will be difficult to play against."

Murray could rise to second in the world rankings for the first time since 2009 if he were to win the tournament in Miami.

But he said: "Getting to number two would be nice but it's not the ultimate goal for me. I try to concentrate on winning events if possible and the rankings will take care of themselves."

Yeah he makes a fair point re: Tomic he has anticipation of the opponents shot.... but he also makes the point re his speed. The top guys who win majors have both speed and anticipation.... just having one of those skills wont win majors. Its just like a soccer or rugby player with great ball skills but no pace... and natural pace/speed is inherent not aquired.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #83 on: March 22, 2013, 03:45 PM »

I like Andy's level-headed approach to the rankings question. I also like the way he's supporting Heather and giving constructive advice
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #84 on: March 22, 2013, 04:04 PM »

Gotta laugh at various Media already call the match a 'Clash' .... clash of what exactly?...clash of wrist band colors?... Tomic ranked No45 on the ATP listing...6 places below Horacio Zeballos for goodness sake...

They see Tomic as a future top player and far more promising than, let's say, Zeballos. So the 'clash' they see is the present vs future tennis. I don’t think it’s that bad. Tomic is still very young and has a bright future and he’s presumably under a lot of pressure. And people have different ways of dealing with pressure. He’ll probably grow out all the cockiness he has going on for him right now. Everyone deserves a second chance and many more, so I’ll just wait and see how he turns out in the end. He’s got a great game despite a dislikable personality…for now. 
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #85 on: March 22, 2013, 04:04 PM »

I like Andy's level-headed approach to the rankings question. I also like the way he's supporting Heather and giving constructive advice

It seems Andy gives better support to british players than the LTA does. If any of the british players were smart they would be tapping Andy for advice as much as possible. He is streets ahead of any of them in terms of ability, professionlism and success.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #86 on: March 22, 2013, 04:12 PM »

They see Tomic as a future top player and far more promising than, let's say, Zeballos. So the 'clash' they see is the present vs future tennis. I don’t think it’s that bad. Tomic is still very young and has a bright future and he’s presumably under a lot of pressure. And people have different ways of dealing with pressure. He’ll probably grow out all the cockiness he has going on for him right now. Everyone deserves a second chance and many more, so I’ll just wait and see how he turns out in the end. He’s got a great game despite a dislikable personality…for now. 

I'd say its debatable how 'great' a talent he is. He's got ability but he's got limitations too. I'd say Janowicz has more potential for his all round ability. Of course we are all gonna see that differently. Media & fans in general are using the term 'great' a wee bit too freely. The guy has some shots on him for sure ...but so has Raonics blah blah.....they all also are as slow as a week in jail.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #87 on: March 22, 2013, 04:16 PM »

I'd say its debatable how 'great' a talent he is. He's got ability but he's got limitations too. I'd say Janowicz has more potential for his all round ability. Of course we are all gonna see that differently. Media & fans in general are using the term 'great' a wee bit too freely. The guy has some shots on him for sure ...but so has Raonics blah blah.....they all also are as slow as a week in jail.

In the long run though, I feel, Tomic will be more consistent and level headed than Janowicz. Raonic will probably belong in the same category as Tomic consistency wise. I agree though that Janowicz has shown great abilities this year so far and consistency as well, so he should be in the mix if he's able to keep it up.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #88 on: March 22, 2013, 04:25 PM »

In the long run though, I feel, Tomic will be more consistent and level headed than Janowicz. Raonic will probably belong in the same category as Tomic consistency wise. I agree though that Janowicz has shown great abilities this year so far and consistency as well, so he should be in the mix if he's able to keep it up.

Yeah...dont get me wrong... there are many young players who have a degree of talent...all of them underwhelm me based on what Ive seen tho so far. Im not convinced any of them have a winning mentality in them or the drive to constantly improve like the top 4 guys... on the flip side maybe they just need to grow up.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #89 on: March 22, 2013, 04:38 PM »

Yeah...dont get me wrong... there are many young players who have a degree of talent...all of them underwhelm me based on what Ive seen tho so far. Im not convinced any of them have a winning mentality in them or the drive to constantly improve like the top 4 guys... on the flip side maybe they just need to grow up.

I think this is still all a very big question mark. The top four are still very strong and two of them (Andy and Nole) are going to stay at the top for a long time, so it really doesn't allow the youngsters to shine as much. So they will have to get better in a rapid speed in order to just to catch them. Surpassing them will be another matter. And they will need a world of experience that can only come in the form of time. So I think they still need at least 2 to 3 years just to evolve into someone who’s more mature and consistent just to get to the top.

And yes, it’s also a possibility that they might not just be that good to begin with.  Time will tell though I am sure.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 36 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »