Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 36 Go Down Reply
Author

Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic

(Read 11122 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #90 on: March 22, 2013, 04:44 PM »

Not got a problem with Tomic, I'm sure he'll improve the way he presents himself as his career goes on, just like Andy did. I kinda feel sorry for the kid, he's now got the pressure of a nation who's doing sh*t in sports for their standards on his shoulders, and it must be hard for him to handle/adjust to that. I think people need to remember that the guy is only 20 after all, and he shouldn't have to overnight change his personality to a fake one just because he's in the spotlight, I mean as a 20 year old myself I do a lot of stupid sh*t but people accept me for it, and don't slate me because it's expected for that age range. We all still want to go out and have fun at this age, muck around etc, and I'm sure Bernard just wants to be left to it.
Fair enough, PE - but I don't see having a string of speeding/careless driving offences, including failure to stop for the police, in a powerful car he was given special permission to drive because of his status, as being fun.  If he thinks it's smart to endanger the lives of others and have a total disregard for the law, then what message does that send out to his peers?  Being a sports star carries with it a degree of responsibility, and at 20 Tomic should be old enough to accept that.  Unfortunately though I think his parents, and his father in particular, have to take a good share of responsibility themselves for his behaviour, which is a shame because I'd hate to see the talent he has going to waste if he can't wriggle out from under and take his future in his own hands.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #91 on: March 22, 2013, 04:53 PM »

Oh of course Aileen I'm not condoning his car offences, I think he should be banned from driving for a few years.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #92 on: March 22, 2013, 05:03 PM »

Oh of course Aileen I'm not condoning his car offences, I think he should be banned from driving for a few years.
Sorry for firing off, but persistently dangerous drivers really tits me off. I don't know how long his ban is for, but Oz seems to have much stricter road traffic laws than the UK.  The fact is that Tomic was already in possession of a Good Behaviour Licence (which is probably akin to serving a suspended sentence), yet he still disobeyed the law, so I reckon they'll come down on him pretty hard.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #93 on: March 22, 2013, 06:42 PM »

Yup...Australia has produced many great tennis players... I hope he isnt one of them...a complete tool of a guy.
Yep, but I hope for his sake he matures quickly and doesnt continue in the same way. Andy says BT has a good game. I think he is sometimes exciting to watch.  We need more young players with promise as the present top players get long in the tooth.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #94 on: March 22, 2013, 06:43 PM »

I think this is still all a very big question mark. The top four are still very strong and two of them (Andy and Nole) are going to stay at the top for a long time, so it really doesn't allow the youngsters to shine as much. So they will have to get better in a rapid speed in order to just to catch them. Surpassing them will be another matter. And they will need a world of experience that can only come in the form of time. So I think they still need at least 2 to 3 years just to evolve into someone who’s more mature and consistent just to get to the top.

And yes, it’s also a possibility that they might not just be that good to begin with.  Time will tell though I am sure.

yup...i think that the problem for this current crop of young players is that they stand little chance of winning a major at, in tennis terms, a young age. Particularly Nadal, Novak and Andy have taken tennis athleticism to an entirely new level. Therefore, players need to be as physically developed as those guys to seriously compete at masters and major level. Whether those young players have the tenacity in them to accept that and focus on reaching that level for several years....flip a coin.

That said, I dont feel that any of them have as much raw talent as Andy, Novak ,Nadal or Fed.
[ Last edit by ABF March 22, 2013, 06:52 PM ] IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #95 on: March 22, 2013, 06:59 PM »

Bernard Tomic seems a bit of a lost boy.

I hope he gets his life together. It would be a real shame for all that talent to be wasted.

Andy has done exceptionally well to rise above his country's media scrutiny and attacks on him. Tomic doesn't seem to cope as well. Shame really.

Having said all that, of course I hope Andy beats him soundly.
Great names and minds think alike, Linda.

It's a tought world for certain types of personalities and as you say, Andy has been a victim of his own particular character traits through the years. The media and some tennis fans are not understanding and enjoy having a go at someone in trouble.
IP Logged
audie
Futures Level

my guilty ppleasure

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #96 on: March 22, 2013, 07:01 PM »

Great names and minds think alike, Linda.

It's a tought world for certain types of personalities and as you say, Andy has been a victim of his own particular character traits through the years. The media and some tennis fans are not understanding and enjoy having a go at someone in trouble.
thats because they have nothing better to do   idiots.we all have bad times
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #97 on: March 22, 2013, 07:07 PM »

help
Where's Bev and her famous Head to Head?
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #98 on: March 22, 2013, 07:22 PM »

Head-to-head

* Murray vs Tomic.jpg (106.88 KB, 592x560 - viewed 135 times.)
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #99 on: March 22, 2013, 07:24 PM »

Andy Murray explains why Miami base helps his tennis

When he's not travelling the world pitting himself against the best players in the top tournaments, Andy Murray likes to indulge in some dolphin spotting.

He doesn't have to go very far: just a few steps to the balcony of his penthouse apartment in a block which also includes neighbours like fellow tennis player Juan Martin Del Potro and Formula 1 driver Pablo Montoya.

Situated on the water's edge in the Brickell area, with views across Miami and out to the Atlantic, a good pair of binoculars is all Murray needs to catch a glimpse of the bottlenose dolphins or manatees, which swim into the Biscayne Bay.

It's a far cry from Dunblane, but more than five years have passed since the Scot established a home from home in South Florida.

"I spend more time here than I did a few years ago, probably about three-and-a-half months of the year," Murray told BBC Scotland.

"Miami's a very laid-back city. You can do whatever you want here.

"They have nice beaches, on South Beach there are lots of shops, a good party life, and there are very good restaurants all over the city."

But it wasn't the shopping, or the nightlife or even the wildlife which attracted him to the 'Magic City'.

"There are good players to practise and train with, and they have great facilities here," Murray continues.

"It's a great place to train and prepare because the conditions are some of the toughest on the Tour as it's extremely hot and humid.

"So when you go and play in Europe afterwards it doesn't feel as bad."

Those training facilities are at Crandon Park where the Miami Masters is being staged, just 15 minutes over a bridge from Casa Murray.

Right now that's a busy place, because the guest list includes his brother Jamie and dad Willie, not to mention Kim his girlfriend and for the first time his two dogs; Rusty and Maggie May.

Mum Judy has already vacated one guest room as she's off up the Florida coast to continue the ground work for the important GB Fed Cup tie in Argentina next month.

That means she may miss seeing her number two son becoming world number two, which would happen if he claims the trophy here for a second time.

But the possibility of overtaking Roger Federer seems to be very much at the back of Murray's mind.

"It's not something I'm thinking about going into my first match against Bernard Tomic," he explained.

"Getting to number two is not a goal of mine. I'd rather focus on winning events than counting ranking points.

"The one thing it does help with is with your seeding for the bigger events, and that's how it would be of benefit to me."

With no Federer or Rafael Nadal at this event, the route to the title and number two has been made that bit less stressful.

And former Wimbledon champion Pat Cash believes Murray can enter the European clay court season as the planet's second best player, behind Novak Djokovic.

"He's got a great chance to get to number two," Cash said.

"Djokovic is clearly the player of the year so far, and it's never easy to win these tournaments - with our without a couple of the best players.

"Andy will want to improve on his form from Indian Wells where he was beaten by Del Potro. But he has the ability to do that.

"These are the biggest events outside the Grand Slams. But he's a big player, he'll like this occasion and I think he's got a great chance to win it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21899917
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #100 on: March 22, 2013, 07:27 PM »

help
Where's Bev and her famous Head to Head?
I PMd Bev yesterday but so far haven't had a response, which isn't like her.

Head-to-head
Gangsta to the rescue.  Great choice of pics. yay
[ Last edit by Aileen March 22, 2013, 07:37 PM ] IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #101 on: March 22, 2013, 07:29 PM »

I PMd Bev yesterday but so far haven't had a response, which isn't like her.
Gangsta to the rescue.  Great choice of pics. yay

I'm always saving people from adversity. Cheers they are hand made photos.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #102 on: March 22, 2013, 07:35 PM »

Andy Murray explains why Miami base helps his tennis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21899917
Thanks dani.  The BBC Scottish news showed part of that interview, along with a few scenic views.  I must admit it looks really inviting, although at the moment anywhere with a bit of warmth would be welcome.  According to the Met though this bitter weather is set to continue until after Easter.  If so, the country is due to run out of gas by 8 April so will have to export from Russia and Norway, thereby bumping up fuel bills.  Frown
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #103 on: March 22, 2013, 07:37 PM »

I'm always saving people from adversity. Cheers they are hand made photos.
What do you mean by handmade?
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Miami R2: Andy Murray vs Bernard Tomic « Reply #104 on: March 22, 2013, 07:38 PM »

What do you mean by handmade?

Nevermind. They are off the net.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 36 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »