Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions
Murray in 2 - 18 (66.7%)
Murray in 3 - 8 (29.6%)
Dimitrov in 2 - 0 (0%)
Dimitrov in 3 - 1 (3.7%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 Go Down Reply
Author

Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov

(Read 7969 times)
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #630 on: March 25, 2013, 09:42 PM »

I wonder if Andy just plays as hard as he has to to win, saving the good stuff for the tougher matches, I also wonder if he is so upset about Ross that he can't get his mind around the matches till push comes to shove.  Hard to understand his slow starts.
I wondered that it must be difficult for him not to worry about Ross.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #631 on: March 25, 2013, 09:43 PM »

When you look back at what Andy achieved while still a teenager, it's quite astounding.

Yes... and thats what we have to compare the curent young uns too....and at the mo they just dont match up...and Andy has won 1 major aged 25. Barring injury Nadal Djoko and Andy will be playing at a high level and improving for another 5 yrs...maybe even 6 or 7 considering how fit they are.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #632 on: March 25, 2013, 09:48 PM »

He's done it!  Well done to both players for a very entertaining match
Even though  pullhair

It was entertaining - some good stuff from both at times. A good match for Andy to play himself into some form, Can't help wondering if he's maybe inadvertently put a wee bit too much pressure on himself to not repeat his previous post AO slumps and this is what makes him start so nervously.
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #633 on: March 25, 2013, 09:53 PM »

Yep,always nice to see upsets as long as it's not our guy ! :-)
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #634 on: March 25, 2013, 09:54 PM »

I wonder if Andy just plays as hard as he has to to win, saving the good stuff for the tougher matches, I also wonder if he is so upset about Ross that he can't get his mind around the matches till push comes to shove.  Hard to understand his slow starts.
I'd have thought that thinking of Ross would have spurred Andy on to do well.  Also he's had slow starts long before Ross got ill, so I think it's just an Andy thing that his frazzled fans have to accept.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #635 on: March 25, 2013, 09:55 PM »

Falla breaks in the 2nd. Berdych isn't playing particularly bad, Falla is just playing out of his skin, cheered on by a raucous crowd. Surely he can't sustain this level.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #636 on: March 25, 2013, 09:55 PM »

It was entertaining - some good stuff from both at times. A good match for Andy to play himself into some form, Can't help wondering if he's maybe inadvertently put a wee bit too much pressure on himself to not repeat his previous post AO slumps and this is what makes him start so nervously.
Good point Westie, especially as Andy puts pressure on himself at the best of times.
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #637 on: March 25, 2013, 09:57 PM »

Really enjoyed that in a strange sort of way.

Andy took a while to get going (what else is new, lol) but once he did he kept it going. Yes he probably should have finished Dimitrov off when he had the break points at 4-1 in the second set but he got the job done, even with that close final game and that's what matters. A test is probably a good thing after the Tomic match.

I liked what I saw of Dimitrov at Queens last year and this was more of the same today. Hope he learns from today and moves forward mentally. Thought it was a good sign he fought until the last point. He has some brilliant shots. It's a shame his record at the slams is so poor. A good run might give him a much needed confidence boost. I'm glad he didn't pull it off today but I hope for his sake he gets that confidence building win soon - just not against Andy!

Surely one of these young players has to make a breakthrough sometime - otherwise it may be the next generation overtaking them when Nadal/Djoko/Andy hang up their racquets in several years time!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #638 on: March 25, 2013, 09:57 PM »

I'd have thought that thinking of Ross would have spurred Andy on to do well.  Also he's had slow starts long before Ross got ill, so I think it's just an Andy thing that his frazzled fans have to accept.
Andy's had good starts and gone on to lose - so I try to just go with what he said: "it's not how you start, it's how you finish". Though a good start is always nice!
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #639 on: March 25, 2013, 10:07 PM »

Night all. See you tomorrow.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #640 on: March 25, 2013, 10:08 PM »

Night all. See you tomorrow.
'Night, Jan x
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #641 on: March 25, 2013, 10:47 PM »

Grigor is a good player, and today he showed that he is a viable future top 10 player, but he's not there yet.

The three double faults is an improvement on the four against Djokovic last week, but that's got to hurt.  I hope he takes away the positives from today, and doesn't dwell too much on what went wrong.

When he was playing well, he showed he can compete at the top level, albeit Andy wasn't at his own top level in the first set.  But that's the nature of the game.  Most players do not play their top level for each match, or even whole matches.  Getting the timing right is part of the challenge.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #642 on: March 25, 2013, 11:27 PM »

Grigor is a good player, and today he showed that he is a viable future top 10 player, but he's not there yet.

The three double faults is an improvement on the four against Djokovic last week, but that's got to hurt.  I hope he takes away the positives from today, and doesn't dwell too much on what went wrong.

When he was playing well, he showed he can compete at the top level, albeit Andy wasn't at his own top level in the first set.  But that's the nature of the game.  Most players do not play their top level for each match, or even whole matches.  Getting the timing right is part of the challenge.
Well said, you don't want to play your best early in a tournament, timing as you said is everything.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #643 on: March 25, 2013, 11:37 PM »

Well, at least Dimitrov kept it decent in the 2nd set. Would like to see this match sometime this week.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #644 on: March 26, 2013, 12:39 AM »

Tennis has changed since then.

It was 5 years ago, not 30. Dimitrov is almost 22 and at that age Djokovic, Nadal and Murray had all won multiple Masters titles, reached slam finals or even won one (Nadal already had 3 by that time). Dimitrov has been on tour since 2009 and that's when people started saying he would be the next big thing. He still hasn't won a title of any kind or made it beyond the 2nd round of a GS.

If this era is so physical, then how come 35-year-old Haas is out there, performing better than any of them, after multiple surgeries? Either Haas is more talented than those guys or there is sth. wrong with our logic. I'm not writing them off just yet, but I do think that sth. needs to happen soon.
[ Last edit by silver lining March 26, 2013, 12:46 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »