Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Andrey Kuznetsov, Saturday, Estimated time - 5:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions
Murray in 2 - 18 (66.7%)
Murray in 3 - 8 (29.6%)
Dimitrov in 2 - 0 (0%)
Dimitrov in 3 - 1 (3.7%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] 45 Go Down Reply
Author

Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov

(Read 8722 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #645 on: March 26, 2013, 12:45 AM »

It was 5 years ago, not 30. Dimitrov is almost 22 and at that age Djokovic, Nadal and Murray had all won multiple Masters titles, reached slam finals or even won one (Nadal already had 3 by that time). Dimitrov has been on tour since 2009 and that's when people started saying he would be the next big thing.

If this era is so physical, then how come 35-year-old Haas is out there, performing better than any of them, after multiple surgeries? Either Haas is more talented than those guys or there is sth. wrong with our logic. I'm not writing them off just yet, but I do think that sth. needs to happen soon.

A lot can change in 5 years. I don't know what has gone wrong, but clearly there's something not right. These youngsters all seem to have great games that should be challenging the big guys, but they're not. Perhaps something mental maybe? I agree something does need to happen soon, because whilst Andy being in the top pack with 3 other guys might be exciting for a lot of people on here, I'd much rather youngsters started to break this big 4 dominance sooner or later.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #646 on: March 26, 2013, 08:42 AM »

There is a lot of talk of the physical nature of the game, or that older players are staying healthier for longer, so hogging the upper reaches of the rankings longer, making it harder for the young guns to break through.   I do think there is something in that, but players like Grigor and Bernard have arguably broken through already.  They are making a living and not having to play qualifiers, and have a bit more control of their schedule.  The question is why are they failing to make that final push towards the top 10?

Of course it's unreasonable to expect them to beat a top 10 player, never mind a member of the big four routinely, but it is also true that from a younger age, Andy along with Nole and Rafa were giant felling fairly regularly.

I think it could simply be that today's top players, the young guns of five years ago, were simply better than the young guns of today and were going on to be better than the top players of that era.  It is perhaps a bit of a freak that Rafa, Nole and Andy were all born within a year of each other.   If their parents had only spread things out a bit, we might not have seen the same bunching, then apparent drop-off.   It's often been said that Andy might have won more majors if today's era wasn't as strong, but playing in a strong era has made him a better player.  The same presumably applies to the rest of the top 10 players, who have been fighting to keep up.

Clearly there are also psychological barriers, which might be made worse by the tour hype of a "Big Four" and talk of a golden era, and that today's young players are rubbish, but I'm sure there were times when today's top players folded to the higher ranked player under pressure which are conveniently forgotten.   Then again, Federer was almost untouchable when Andy first beat him, much to the surprise of everyone, including Andy! w00t
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #647 on: March 26, 2013, 09:21 AM »

As you say Aileen, this was not an unusual way for Andy to start a match or tournament but he did it in 2 which has to be good.  I am beginning not to worry if he is slow at the beginning of tournaments now as it does not do my 'blood pressure any good'.

I have for a while now decided that the young guns of today do have what the young guns of five years ago had.  They do not seem to have the tenacity of Nadal, Djoko and Andy.  Sometimes I feel they do not want to work really hard to achieve the heights like those three did and still do, especially Tomic.  He makes me feel he wants it on a plate without any effort.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #648 on: March 26, 2013, 09:51 AM »

Watched the replay and liked every bit of it. Very Happy
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #649 on: March 26, 2013, 03:00 PM »

There is a lot of talk of the physical nature of the game, or that older players are staying healthier for longer, so hogging the upper reaches of the rankings longer, making it harder for the young guns to break through.   I do think there is something in that, but players like Grigor and Bernard have arguably broken through already.  They are making a living and not having to play qualifiers, and have a bit more control of their schedule.  The question is why are they failing to make that final push towards the top 10?

Of course it's unreasonable to expect them to beat a top 10 player, never mind a member of the big four routinely, but it is also true that from a younger age, Andy along with Nole and Rafa were giant felling fairly regularly.

I think it could simply be that today's top players, the young guns of five years ago, were simply better than the young guns of today and were going on to be better than the top players of that era.  It is perhaps a bit of a freak that Rafa, Nole and Andy were all born within a year of each other.   If their parents had only spread things out a bit, we might not have seen the same bunching, then apparent drop-off.   It's often been said that Andy might have won more majors if today's era wasn't as strong, but playing in a strong era has made him a better player.  The same presumably applies to the rest of the top 10 players, who have been fighting to keep up.

Clearly there are also psychological barriers, which might be made worse by the tour hype of a "Big Four" and talk of a golden era, and that today's young players are rubbish, but I'm sure there were times when today's top players folded to the higher ranked player under pressure which are conveniently forgotten.   Then again, Federer was almost untouchable when Andy first beat him, much to the surprise of everyone, including Andy! w00t
Good posting!

I have for a while now decided that the young guns of today do have what the young guns of five years ago had.  They do not seem to have the tenacity of Nadal, Djoko and Andy.  Sometimes I feel they do not want to work really hard to achieve the heights like those three did and still do, especially Tomic.  He makes me feel he wants it on a plate without any effort.
I think Andy would agree wholeheartedly with that statement given how often he's criticised the attitude of our younger players.  Tomic, unfortunately is a spoilt brat.  
I have a lot of admiration for players like Dimitrov who come from countries where the going is generally tough and Djokovic has said that he would probably never have become the player he is had it not been for the severe adversity he faced in his own country.  Living through wartime conditions must be incredibly difficult.

Watched the replay and liked every bit of it. Very Happy
That's because you knew the score!
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #650 on: March 26, 2013, 03:32 PM »

That's because you knew the score!

Hee hee....very true. Wink
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #651 on: March 26, 2013, 03:41 PM »

Got tennis at 5 pm then was gonna go for a quick swim
 Hope im back in time for start  pray
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #652 on: March 26, 2013, 03:43 PM »

Dont know whether to watch this match or not. Have to be awake at 1:00 am if I have to watch. Frown
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #653 on: March 26, 2013, 03:48 PM »

Got tennis at 5 pm then was gonna go for a quick swim
 Hope im back in time for start  pray

I challenge you to a match Surprised
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #654 on: March 26, 2013, 03:49 PM »

I challenge you to a match Surprised

Same for me to you.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #655 on: March 26, 2013, 03:50 PM »

Same for me to you.

You'll beat me with ease.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #656 on: March 26, 2013, 03:54 PM »

You'll beat me with ease.

No way. I shall beat you with ease lol
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #657 on: March 26, 2013, 04:02 PM »

No way. I shall beat you with ease lol

That's what I said lol
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #658 on: March 26, 2013, 04:03 PM »

You edited that. Or my eyes have gone.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Miami R3: Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #659 on: March 26, 2013, 04:06 PM »

You edited that. Or my eyes have gone.

You're eyes have gone. Rest up, you're ill remember.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] 45 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »