Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Miami R3: Murray vs Raonic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions?
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Raonic in 2
Raonic in 3

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Miami R3: Murray vs Raonic  (Read 3075 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Miami R3: Murray vs Raonic « on: March 24, 2012, 05:14 AM »

I don't think Milos Raonic needs much of an introduction.  At 21 he has 3 ATP titles, 2 of which he won this year.  Had a lengthy time out last year following surgery on his hip which he injured at Wimbledon.  Favourite surface is hard court.  Noted for his powerful and accurate serve which he uses with deadly effect.  Has a cool head and isn't over-awed at playing top players.  Most recent achievement - pushing Federer to 3 sets in R3 at Indian Wells.  

This will certainly be a testing encounter for Andy, especially if Raonic's serve is firing well.  However he's still lacking in tactical experience and that in itself could ultimately determine the outcome of the match, but the onus will still fall on Andy to up his own serve percentage, and hopefully this will have improved as a result of his recent training with Lendl.
[ Last edit by Aileen March 24, 2012, 05:20 AM ] IP Logged
Bailey
Satellite Level

Come on Andy!!!!

Re: Miami R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 05:22 AM »

This match could start at 11:00 Miami time because Andy and Raonic both played their matches earlier in the day
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Miami R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 08:56 AM »

Hope so Bailey as that would mean we can watch it in comfort  and Andy might be able to deal with the heat better than Raonic [though have no idea of how well latter does]. 
I've voted Andy in 3 as Raonic clearly won't be a pushover.  I've not watched Raonic very much but I gather he's modelled himself on Sampras who I thought practically killed the game with his boring serve-centred game.  So another reason for wanting Andy to beat him easily - as if I needed any  Rolling Eyes   cmon yeah cmon yeah cmon yeah
IP Logged
Patsy
Satellite Level

Re: Miami R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 09:18 AM »

The schedule is on the website for Saturday and Andy's match isn't on it. What's going on?
IP Logged
dragonlady

Re: Miami R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 09:20 AM »

Andy played yesterday - Novak/fed half today

Andy should be playing on Sunday
IP Logged
Patsy
Satellite Level

Re: Miami R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 09:22 AM »

Thanks Dragonlady. I thought they played every day in this tournament.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Miami R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 09:39 AM »

Sampras who I thought practically killed the game with his boring serve-centred game.

clapping clapping clapping
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: Miami R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 09:47 AM »

Hope so Bailey as that would mean we can watch it in comfort  and Andy might be able to deal with the heat better than Raonic [though have no idea of how well latter does]. 
I've voted Andy in 3 as Raonic clearly won't be a pushover.  I've not watched Raonic very much but I gather he's modelled himself on Sampras who I thought practically killed the game
Yes, if every player used Sampras as a template, the danger was the game of tennis was going to Peter out.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Miami R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 10:13 AM »

Raonic in post match interview yesterday:

"I feel like I'm a much better player and I am getting closer to these guys.  I feel if we do play many, many times, obviously they'll win most of them, but I will have my opportunities on a few times.
 So it's just a matter of those days clicking, the right things happening.  And when those opportunities do arise, you make the most of them and you go for them"

Hope tomorrow isn't one of those days when everything clicks for him!

About his serve:
 Q.  To follow up, who do you think has the biggest serve, you or John Isner?
 MILOS RAONIC:  I think his serve is more effective, let's say.  I think I'm able to serve harder, if you look at the numbers, but I think he creates a lot of better angles from it.  I think it just comes down to stats, the way you look at it.

More at http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/News/Tennis/2012/Interview-Transcripts/Milos-Raonic-23-March.aspx

IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Miami R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 10:40 AM »

These 2 have never met but some interesting ytd stats Think

Thanks to Dragonlady for pointing me in a certain direction for the picture

* Murray vs Raonic.jpg (129.66 KB, 734x593 - viewed 379 times.)

* Murray vs Raonic ytd stats.jpg (174.26 KB, 778x675 - viewed 382 times.)
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Miami R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 10:44 AM »

Dreading this match. Andy will need to be switched on here.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Miami R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 10:45 AM »

Raonic has lost to Fedex, Melzer and Hewitt this year.  Perhaps Andy could have a word in Jamie's doubles partner's ear to see how he found him.

Andy has lost to Garcia-Lopez, Fedex and Djokovic.  I'm sure Andy WILL be switched on yes
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Miami R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 12:26 PM »

Got to bare in mind with those stats what tournaments the two have played. Murray's played the world #1 twice already (as well as Berdych, Federer, Tomic, Dolgopolov, etc), whereas Federer and Tipsarevic are the only top 10 players Raonic has faced (I think?).

Ultimately with these sort of matches it boils down to how well Murray plays. If he's not on form Raonic could well punish him.

Murray is arguably the best returner in the sport though (perhaps 2nd to Djokovic) so seems like the main battle will be played out there, particularly if we have a tie-break. And of course Murray's serve percentage will be key to his own serve. Murray does tend to be quite successful against the big servers though (Isner, Karlovic, Querrey, etc).

Should be an interesting test. Just hope Murray's on form.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Miami R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 01:38 PM »

Hope Lendl has been on a scouting mission. Hope Andy is on song and trounces him yay
Lost interest in tennis during the Sampras years vomit Supported mad Andre.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Miami R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 01:52 PM »

Me too - ie it was only AA who kept my interest alive and always felt Andy showed great judgement in having AA as his favourite player as he was growing up.  Half wishing they weren't televising this one either as could be one of those stomach turning ones.   Though if he has a night match I'm afraid I'll opt out anyway (actually not even sure it will be shown on tv then as they probably catch up the next afternoon).
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »