Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions
Murray in 2 - 19 (51.4%)
Murray in 3 - 15 (40.5%)
Gasquet in 2 - 1 (2.7%)
Gasquet in 3 - 2 (5.4%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 69 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet  (Read 8640 times)
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 11:55 AM »

I forgot to acknowledge with thanks Becv's H to H. It is most interesting to compare the 2 careers with Murray being a pro for a shorter time but achieving so much more success    Gasquet did waste his chances with too much wine,women and drugs  whereas Murray has lived a quite impeccable,scandal free private life  I for one having followed him since he was 18 am very proud of him and his achievements
 Keep the H to H's coming Becv they are great
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #31 on: March 29, 2013, 11:59 AM »

I forgot to acknowledge with thanks Becv's H to H. It is most interesting to compare the 2 careers with Murray being a pro for a shorter time but achieving so much more success    Gasquet did waste his chances with too much wine,women and drugs  whereas Murray has lived a quite impeccable,scandal free private life  I for one having followed him since he was 18 am very proud of him and his achievements
 Keep the H to H's coming Becv they are great

Well said Bennster.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #32 on: March 29, 2013, 12:34 PM »

I certainly won't forget their amazing Wimbledon match in 2008.

It was fab! Brilliant comeback from Andy and some stunning shot-making. Lovely stuff!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #33 on: March 29, 2013, 12:55 PM »

If this was a five set match I'd be wondering how long it would be before Gasquet chokes. He did it last year against Andy in the 4th round of the FO, and that was hardly the first time. I was tempted to offer to buy him a white flag, but you know, I didn't want to appear to be taking the mick Whistle.

Being a three-set match it could be interesting. I don't think the h2h tells us much, but I do think Andy will have the edge, at the very least. If he comes out flying from the off he'll just have too much game for Gasquet and it will be over quickly.

I don't know how relevant Gasquet's performance against Berdych is. Doesn't Gasquet having a winning h2h against Berdy anyway? Also, Berdy was a lucky boy to get as far as he did to be honest. Andy might not have reached top gear yet, but Berdy was less than average in virtually all of his matches.

I'm looking forward to this one. Andy still has a great record against French players. I reckon he likes the flair they bring. Gasquet has an attractive game too. I know it's an obvious thing to say, but I do think he is a player who would have done far better in any other era. As for the match, I don't think Gasquet will make life easy, but I think Andy will come through, either in two tight sets or in two tight sets and a third easy one.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #34 on: March 29, 2013, 12:59 PM »

I'm really looking forward to this game, because Gasquet is such a flair player, that he is bound to make it interesting for Andy.  I must also admit to being glad that Gasquet knocked Berdych out, as those match ups always have more riding on them, because of the loathsome character that Berdych is, something that I believe Andy is all too aware of.  Instead we can relax and enjoy a great game of tennis and may the best player win.  Only word of caution is that if Andy starts slow and Gasquet in top gear, which he is perfectly capable of doing, then in a 3 set match it could all be over before it really gets started. Still I'm sure Andy is perfectly aware of these considerations and if all his careful preparation for selected tournaments this year is on track, then he should be stepping up his performances as these tournaments progress, having done enough to get through the opening rounds.

Andy certainly didn't look great against Cillic, while he did pull out some shots and points when needed.  I've got to say I feel sorry for Cillic, I don't watch him against other players, but against Andy you often see what a great player he can be, but there always seems to come a time when he looks haunted, and by the end, bar one match, he is always owned.  Tennis can be rough!  Also how has he got to no. 11? Just imagine if he was your favourite player! 

Thankfully, while there are ups and downs with Andy, we are supporting an intelligent, tenacious young man, committed to improvement, while being blessed with all the natural tennis skills one could dream of.   wub
Agree with much of your post lgreav but speak for yourself when you say we can sit back and relax! I can NEVER relax when Andy is playing (except for those rare matches when he's totally in the zone like when he thrashed Roddick at Queens).  I'm afraid when it comes to Andy playing I just want him to win.  I can keep my appreciation of a good match and the spirit that let the best man win for other matches.  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #35 on: March 29, 2013, 01:17 PM »

The last couple of meetings with Gasquet have not been pretty (granted, they were on clay). I remember when Andy played him in Rome it was so awful we were exchanging recipes in the match thread and just wanted it to be over.
Then RG was full of drama, and full credit to Andy for fighting back and dealing with his pain and a hostile crowd.

I watched the Berdych/Gasquet match last night, and Berdych wasn't playing well.

I don't see a problem for Andy tonight. But I'll still be nervous Comes with the territory.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #36 on: March 29, 2013, 01:51 PM »

Andy did what he had to do to beat Cilic, and his earlier opponent, but there's room for improvement.  If Gasquet replicates his superb performance against Berdych, then Andy won't get away with wallowing around with a slow start.  He needs to bring in his A game from the off, keep his focus better and not let himself be distracted by things going on around the court.  Fortunately he seems to benefit from the livelier crowds at evening matches, so hopefully we'll see an entertaining match, with Andy winning it.

Well, Berdych did give a lot of points away by shanking the ball mindlessly so that made Gasquet look quite invincible or superb if you will. A good old Andy should make Gasquet look rather simple. Rest assured, he won't be making as many errors and will make Gasquet earn his each point.

IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #37 on: March 29, 2013, 01:56 PM »

Amen to that Emma Jean!
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #38 on: March 29, 2013, 02:07 PM »

It was fab! Brilliant comeback from Andy and some stunning shot-making. Lovely stuff!

Absolutely and while we're on memory lane,when Andy was almost down and out he exploded with a huge roar and came back to win. My tennis diary states that the BBC reckoned that 17million viewers tuned into at least a part of it.
  However that was then and this is now and the nearer this match tonight  draws near the more nervous I become
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #39 on: March 29, 2013, 02:22 PM »

It was that match that really got me on the bandwagon actually, having been a part-time fan before.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #40 on: March 29, 2013, 02:32 PM »

Gasquet's thoughts on facing Andy:

"Gasquet has been pleased with his form in Florida so far and, having come through the junior ranks with Murray, feels he knows what he has to do to get the better of the world number three.

He told the ATP website: "Murray can do everything on the tennis court. He's very clever.

"He's an unbelievable player - but I know his game. I think we played a lot of times already in the past, but for sure he will be the favorite. I have nothing to lose and I will try to play a good match."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/tennis/gasquet-relishing-murray-match-1567236.html#.UVWuTY6SqMk
IP Logged
BigNose
Challenger Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #41 on: March 29, 2013, 02:42 PM »

Andy often plays his backhand to his opponents backhand. But will he change that given Gasquet's backhand is such a weapon? Gonna be interesting to see how he plays this.
I will take Andy to win in 2 tight sets.

The bookies have Andy 4-1 ON to win.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #42 on: March 29, 2013, 02:49 PM »

It was that match that really got me on the bandwagon actually, having been a part-time fan before.

Good for you and as I'm sure you will remember Andy's next match involved him being nearly slaughtered by Nadal in 3 straight sets Andy could hardly stand up.

I always reckon that I should have taken the warning then of his fluctuating form cos you have to be tough  or totally devoted to be a Murray fan That's why I would like so much to see him regain his no2 ranking and this time to have totally earned it himself .

IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #43 on: March 29, 2013, 02:55 PM »

What did Murray do to get the No 2 ranking back in 09? He couldn't of just won Montreal and then handed it.
IP Logged
curtis71
Satellite Level

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #44 on: March 29, 2013, 03:45 PM »

wasnt it when nadal was out injured? i distinctly remember someone being out, which was the reason he temporarily reached no2. this time tho he can do it on merit
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 69 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »