Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions
Murray in 2 - 19 (51.4%)
Murray in 3 - 15 (40.5%)
Gasquet in 2 - 1 (2.7%)
Gasquet in 3 - 2 (5.4%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 69 Go Down Reply
Author

Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet

(Read 9495 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #45 on: March 29, 2013, 04:06 PM »

What did Murray do to get the No 2 ranking back in 09? He couldn't of just won Montreal and then handed it.
wasnt it when nadal was out injured? i distinctly remember someone being out, which was the reason he temporarily reached no2. this time tho he can do it on merit
You're right curtis - Nadal was out with injury.
IP Logged
audie
Futures Level

my guilty ppleasure

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #46 on: March 29, 2013, 04:14 PM »

11pm .good job got no work in morning .yay ,c,,mon andy
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #47 on: March 29, 2013, 04:16 PM »

Good for you and as I'm sure you will remember Andy's next match involved him being nearly slaughtered by Nadal in 3 straight sets Andy could hardly stand up.

I always reckon that I should have taken the warning then of his fluctuating form cos you have to be tough  or totally devoted to be a Murray fan That's why I would like so much to see him regain his no2 ranking and this time to have totally earned it himself .

But it was that slaughtering that convinced Andy he had to work on his fitness and I think that's when he really started to take that side of the training more seriously so it was quite good for him.  That match against Gasquet was just amazing.  I remember talking to colleagues the next day who never watch tennis but who were captivated by it.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #48 on: March 29, 2013, 05:05 PM »

Gasquet was brilliant last night I watched in awe as he tore Berdych apart. I really thought that Berdych would win. Gasquet was amazing it just show that the game of tennis is not all big thumping shots down to the other player. He sure did it in style and it was a real pleasure to watch Gasquet bring Berdych to his knees. He just outplayed Berdych from the very start. Andy will have to be at his brilliant best to win tonight.

Whilst I agree that Gasquet played well last night, I think a lot of that was down to the fact that Berdych played so badly.  In fact, Berdych struggled all the way through this tournament - except in his match against Querrey where Querrey just didn't really turn up.  In my opinion, the quality of Berdych's play made Gasquet look better than he was.  I'm sure it will be a different story with Andy - Richard won't have it all his own way tonight - at least I hope he doesn't!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #49 on: March 29, 2013, 05:10 PM »

Agree with much of your post lgreav but speak for yourself when you say we can sit back and relax! I can NEVER relax when Andy is playing (except for those rare matches when he's totally in the zone like when he thrashed Roddick at Queens).  I'm afraid when it comes to Andy playing I just want him to win.  I can keep my appreciation of a good match and the spirit that let the best man win for other matches.  Rolling Eyes
Well said Ruthie........I'm the same! I want my man to win 'every' time and I'll be  nervous till he does!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #50 on: March 29, 2013, 05:12 PM »

Whilst I agree that Gasquet played well last night, I think a lot of that was down to the fact that Berdych played so badly.

yes Alis.
I think it was more Berdych lost the match than Gasquet won it.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #51 on: March 29, 2013, 05:14 PM »

Another thing I wanted to mention is that both Berdych and Gasquet love the pace and they are very comfortable with it as you'd just seen last night. It worked in Gasquet's favour because he was more consistent with less errors, while Berdych was the opposite though I believe, in the end, he had more winners but also, more errors. In IW, if you remember, it was the opposite. Berdych was the more consistent player with less errors and Gasquet was sometimes all over the place. So it is pretty much the same story with these two.

Andy will absorb the pace and will slow it down, something Gasquet is actually not comfortable with (neither is Berdych) and that will cause more errors on Gasquet's part because he'll be desperate and impatient. This is what I am expecting from today's match based on their past matches, of course.

As to the backhand to backhand rally, as BigNose mentioned in his post, Andy's two handed backhand will give him more privileges than Gasquet's because you have more control with the two handed backhand and that opens up more room for different directions etc. One handed backhand needs better position to suddenly change direction and I take it Andy will be mindful of that, though I suspect, he won't be as successful each time and Gasquet will probably go away with a few winners on the backhand side anyway. But they both know each other's game very well and some of the matches had been very competitive in the past, so it will probably come down to a few points here and there. The night match should bring some sharpness in Andy though he might take a few minutes to adjust it at first.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean March 29, 2013, 05:28 PM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #52 on: March 29, 2013, 05:25 PM »

You're right curtis - Nadal was out with injury.

Yep, he was no. 2 for a few weeks. But get this - I just checked the rankings from August 09 when Andy was 2 and 14 out of the top 25 are still in the top 25 today. That's an amazing lack of evolution.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #53 on: March 29, 2013, 05:26 PM »

wasnt it when nadal was out injured? i distinctly remember someone being out, which was the reason he temporarily reached no2. this time tho he can do it on merit

Nadal was out, but you don't move in the rankings purely by virtue of someone being out. You move on the basis of your own results, so Andy did it on merit that time too. The difference, at least I think, is that that time Andy wasn't quite ready to get to 2 and stay there. Now I think he is.

It was interesting to hear the comms (I think) say last night that Andy might not fancy going to 2 (yeah, right, does he look like he doesn't fancy it, seriously!) because it would mean playing Nadal in the quarters of the majors. Am I being thick or is that based on the assumption that Nadal will stay at 5 for a while? Personally I think Nadal will be back at 4 shortly, and then Andy wouldn't have to deal with him until the semi's.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #54 on: March 29, 2013, 05:29 PM »

Yep, he was no. 2 for a few weeks. But get this - I just checked the rankings from August 09 when Andy was 2 and 14 out of the top 25 are still in the top 25 today. That's an amazing lack of evolution.

That's excellent research, I like that. To my mind it also tells you something about the strangle-hold the top players have had on the top of the game.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #55 on: March 29, 2013, 05:29 PM »

I don't think it would make any difference of the outcome, whatever that will be, regardless of their meeting either in the qtr or semi.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #56 on: March 29, 2013, 05:30 PM »

Andy was No. 2 for three weeks.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #57 on: March 29, 2013, 05:30 PM »

If this was a five set match I'd be wondering how long it would be before Gasquet chokes. He did it last year against Andy in the 4th round of the FO, and that was hardly the first time. I was tempted to offer to buy him a white flag, but you know, I didn't want to appear to be taking the mick Whistle.

Being a three-set match it could be interesting. I don't think the h2h tells us much, but I do think Andy will have the edge, at the very least. If he comes out flying from the off he'll just have too much game for Gasquet and it will be over quickly.

I don't know how relevant Gasquet's performance against Berdych is. Doesn't Gasquet having a winning h2h against Berdy anyway? Also, Berdy was a lucky boy to get as far as he did to be honest. Andy might not have reached top gear yet, but Berdy was less than average in virtually all of his matches.

I'm looking forward to this one. Andy still has a great record against French players. I reckon he likes the flair they bring. Gasquet has an attractive game too. I know it's an obvious thing to say, but I do think he is a player who would have done far better in any other era. As for the match, I don't think Gasquet will make life easy, but I think Andy will come through, either in two tight sets or in two tight sets and a third easy one.

I don't think that one was a choke. Andy played one of his best matches of the year that day (certainly the best on clay). After the first set he upped his level dramatically (especially in sets 3 & 4). It was actually my favourite 2012 match. He hit sth. like 20 winners and 3 Unforced Errors in the 4th set.
IP Logged
audie
Futures Level

my guilty ppleasure

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #58 on: March 29, 2013, 05:38 PM »

think andy needs to geta really good start tonight .otherwise he could be in trouble ,just hope im wrong .and i know nothing bout tennis only really watch to see andy.all you people are so knowlegable about your tennis .
IP Logged
audie
Futures Level

my guilty ppleasure

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #59 on: March 29, 2013, 05:39 PM »

would they bring the match times on earlier if the other game finish sooner
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 69 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »