Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions
Murray in 2 - 19 (51.4%)
Murray in 3 - 15 (40.5%)
Gasquet in 2 - 1 (2.7%)
Gasquet in 3 - 2 (5.4%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 69 Go Down Reply
Author

Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet

(Read 10586 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #60 on: March 29, 2013, 05:41 PM »

yes Alis.
I think it was more Berdych lost the match than Gasquet won it.
I think that's somewhat harsh on Gasquet. He defended well and a lot of Berdych's errors were from frustration.

I sometimes think when one player is making a lot of errors, the opposing player doesn't get enough credit. Something that is probably the case for Andy. Just having some variety, causing them problems, making them uncomfortable and getting them frustrated can lead to a lot of errors, and it just goes down as, 'well so and so played awful, other guy wasn't that special'.

Gasquet totally outplayed him. Berdych made a lot of menial errors but take nothing away from Gasquet, he played very well. His passing shot to break in the 2nd was something else.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #61 on: March 29, 2013, 05:44 PM »

Yep, he was no. 2 for a few weeks. But get this - I just checked the rankings from August 09 when Andy was 2 and 14 out of the top 25 are still in the top 25 today. That's an amazing lack of evolution.
The top 10 has been pretty consistent for a few years now, and there are few signs of it changing. Federer, Murray, Nadal, Djokovic, Ferrer, Tsonga and Berdych have been there for a while. Berdych dropped out for one week, Tsonga had a brief injury that saw him fall out, Del Potro had his injury, and Soderling as well. Fish, Monaco, Isner, etc have all come and gone, Tipsarevic will probably go soon. But the core of the top 10 has barely changed. It's the same four players winning everything, and the same small group (Ferrer, Berdych, Tsonga and pre-2011 it was Soderling, post it was Del Potro) causing them the problems and sweeping up most of the rest.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #62 on: March 29, 2013, 05:48 PM »

Nadal was out, but you don't move in the rankings purely by virtue of someone being out. You move on the basis of your own results, so Andy did it on merit that time too. The difference, at least I think, is that that time Andy wasn't quite ready to get to 2 and stay there. Now I think he is.

It was interesting to hear the comms (I think) say last night that Andy might not fancy going to 2 (yeah, right, does he look like he doesn't fancy it, seriously!) because it would mean playing Nadal in the quarters of the majors. Am I being thick or is that based on the assumption that Nadal will stay at 5 for a while? Personally I think Nadal will be back at 4 shortly, and then Andy wouldn't have to deal with him until the semi's.
It was Petchey, and it was bizarre. Being 2 or 3 - it makes no difference, still the same 1 in 4 chance of drawing Nadal in the QFs.

Nadal won't be able to get back to #4 until after Wimbledon, as he is defending almost maximum points from the clay swing. Short of Ferrer having a torrid clay season and Nadal sweeping up everthing, he will be #5 going into both RG and Wimbledon.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #63 on: March 29, 2013, 05:50 PM »

I think that's somewhat harsh on Gasquet. He defended well and a lot of Berdych's errors were from frustration.

I sometimes think when one player is making a lot of errors, the opposing player doesn't get enough credit. Something that is probably the case for Andy. Just having some variety, causing them problems, making them uncomfortable and getting them frustrated can lead to a lot of errors, and it just goes down as, 'well so and so played awful, other guy wasn't that special'.

Gasquet totally outplayed him. Berdych made a lot of menial errors but take nothing away from Gasquet, he played very well. His passing shot to break in the 2nd was something else.

I agree with this. However, Berdych also made some errors he could have easily avoided. But then again, that can all fall under in that ^^ category. I found Berdych more tentative while Gasquet maintained his cool throughout the match. Berdych definitely looked very disappointed at the end of the match but did give Gasquet a lot of credit.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #64 on: March 29, 2013, 05:50 PM »

I don't think that one was a choke. Andy played one of his best matches of the year that day (certainly the best on clay). After the first set he upped his level dramatically (especially in sets 3 & 4). It was actually my favourite 2012 match. He hit sth. like 20 winners and 3 Unforced Errors in the 4th set.
I remember him hitting almost every shot in the book that day in the last two sets. Are there any highlights of it anywhere? Was definitely right up there as one of his best performances of the year, outside the grass season at least. The Troicki match in MC was supreme as well.

Wasn't that the match where the French crowd got really riled and were booing and hissing the entire match?

Found some poor quality, very brief highlights with no score. Some unbelievable points, Murray's defence at its very best.

The look on Gasquet's face at 0:49 says it all.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter March 29, 2013, 06:03 PM ] IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #65 on: March 29, 2013, 05:54 PM »

I don't think I will able to watch this match. Frown.  Oh well.   C'mon Andy Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #66 on: March 29, 2013, 05:57 PM »

would they bring the match times on earlier if the other game finish sooner
No.  I think it's to do with the fact that they have fixed afternoon and evening sessions.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #67 on: March 29, 2013, 05:58 PM »

I remember him hitting almost every shot in the book that day in the last two sets. Are there any highlights of it anywhere? Was definitely right up there as one of his best performances of the year, outside the grass season at least. The Troicki match in MC was supreme as well.

Wasn't that the match where the French crowd got really riled and were booing and hissing the entire match?

I think it was Mad.It was something else,to see that crowd!Andy handled it well though.Even better than highlights,I'm pretty sure Craig kindly uploaded the whole match for us to watch over again online-either to dailymotion or youtube.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #68 on: March 29, 2013, 06:05 PM »

Yeah, it's on dailymotion. Andy sure enjoyed that hostile crowd a lot. lol

IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #69 on: March 29, 2013, 06:07 PM »

Sweet, thanks guys.

Here's Part 1 - can't seem to find the second part.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xusgn8_french-open-murray-v-gasquet-part-1_travel?search_algo=2
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #70 on: March 29, 2013, 06:15 PM »

No problem Smile

Here's part 2,thanks to Craig :

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xussin_hibh_sport
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #71 on: March 29, 2013, 06:19 PM »

Here it is. Smile

ETA: Too slow. lol
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #72 on: March 29, 2013, 06:19 PM »

I don't think I will able to watch this match. Frown.  Oh well.   C'mon Andy Smile
Thats a shame John. Send Andy and us your positive vibes Smile
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #73 on: March 29, 2013, 06:25 PM »

No problem Smile

Here's part 2,thanks to Craig :

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xussin_hibh_sport
Here it is. Smile

ETA: Too slow. lol
Ah I see, subtly hidden as Hibh. Thanks again. Smile
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #74 on: March 29, 2013, 06:26 PM »

It was Petchey, and it was bizarre. Being 2 or 3 - it makes no difference, still the same 1 in 4 chance of drawing Nadal in the QFs.

Nadal won't be able to get back to #4 until after Wimbledon, as he is defending almost maximum points from the clay swing. Short of Ferrer having a torrid clay season and Nadal sweeping up everthing, he will be #5 going into both RG and Wimbledon.

That's cleared that up, thanks. I'd sort of forgotten Nadal has such a lot to defend on the clay swing.

I couldn't remember who made the comment. Then again I think even Petch is guilty of making the odd strange comment lately.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 69 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »