Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions
Murray in 2 - 19 (51.4%)
Murray in 3 - 15 (40.5%)
Gasquet in 2 - 1 (2.7%)
Gasquet in 3 - 2 (5.4%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 Go Down Reply
Author

Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet

(Read 10422 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #960 on: March 30, 2013, 09:17 AM »

I can't believe that, to my shame, I predicted in the poll that Gasquet would win in 3.  Mind you, at the end of the first set I was beginning to think that he might actually win in 2!   I really should know by now though that Andy can never be under-estimated.  Just likes to shake his fans up a bit. Whistle

I didn't vote, but I admit I had really bad vibes about this match. I really thought he would lose for some reason. I was actually surprised he pulled it off. I was expecting him to crash in the 3rd set. Apologies for my lack of faith.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #961 on: March 30, 2013, 09:36 AM »

What a fantastic match last night, and a brilliant result! For the first time since Andy beat Smugfed in the semi's at the AO I actually cheered when he won!

I wish the comms would stop going on about Andy and slow starts. We all know he can have slow starts, and he did last night, but sometimes I think they think he does it deliberately, and that it happens all the time. He doesn't and it doesn't. Okay, I admit that last night I was doing a few more 'come on sweetheart, get a grip', type remarks during the first set, but I don't know, I never thought Andy wouldn't find a way in the match, and he did, and then some.

I was impressed with how well Andy controlled himself last night. I know Petch (unusually for him) pointed out that Andy was looking up at his box quite a bit, but I don't care about that. If that helps him to stay calm, what difference does it make? The thing is, Andy could have got frustrated when he had chance to win the first and didn't do it, but he didn't. I loved watching him figuring it out, and then I loved watching him completely do Gasquet over. It was fabulous.

I have to give Gasquet credit for the way he played, in the first set especially. However, what I think he showed was the difference in fitness between the top players and everyone else. Blisters aside, which can't be helped, I thought Gasquet looked shattered at the start of the second set, just as Andy was really warming to the task.

I can't wait for the final, even if it is at an awkward time for me. It wouldn't be if I was here on my own, but I'm having house-guests again from this evening until Thursday. I'll just have to do the prep for our evening meal tomorrow a bit early that's all. I'm not missing that final for anything!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #962 on: March 30, 2013, 09:45 AM »

Lovely to read another positive alternative match report.  Really looking forward to watching it - without the tension when Andy goes behind  Whistle
I'm sure your house guests will understand tj.  We need you there cheering  Andy on  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #963 on: March 30, 2013, 09:52 AM »

Sabine sounds like you should be writing the missing match report - gave me a great flavour of it.  Whistle
 Can't wait to watch it as I'm afraid an exhausting week caught up with me.

Hee hee, thank you Ruthie. Smile
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #964 on: March 30, 2013, 09:57 AM »

Phewwww nice interview with brad Gilbert.
I am a positive person and hope I do not bother too many on MW, but what is a fan site for? Is it a place to get down on your player when they are not playing the way you think they should. To me that's a fair weather fan. I try to support Andy no matter what.  I can't imagine that he is trying to play badly or that he is happy with poor play. It's tough being a fan sometimes and I realize that  negative words come out at times, but its not great to read.

It's getting very tiresome, hence my reason for staying away so much (Caz's recent post drew my attention to your comments).

I certainly don't wear rose tinted glasses but is there really any need?  I know that we each 'cope' in our own way but feel that it doesn't bode well for the site's image, IMO.

I wish Andy well for the final.  I will be up to watch but will keep my comments for post match.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #965 on: March 30, 2013, 10:00 AM »

It's getting very tiresome, hence my reason for staying away so much (Caz's recent post drew my attention to your comments).

I certainly don't wear rose tinted glasses but is there really any need?  I know that we each 'cope' in our own way but feel that it doesn't bode well for the site's image, IMO.

I wish Andy well for the final.  I will be up to watch but will keep my comments for post match.

Good posting!
Maybe we need separate match threads where only positivity and supportiveness (is that a word???) are allowed. lol
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #966 on: March 30, 2013, 10:02 AM »

That was an amazing match, Andy Murray showed exactly why he is a GS Champion, he lost the first set twice once serving it out and again in the tie break, he then came out in the second set and played devestayingly good tennis.  Again in the deciding set he played one bad game but recovered to sprint past the finish line.  How things have changed, remember that missed point in the Wimbledon SF against Nadal and Andy never recovered mentally? 

I was on the match thread but logged off when Andy failed to serve it out at 5-4.  To me being a Murray fan means sticking by him through bad times and good, sure there are times when it is wildly frustrating when he loses games he shouldn't etc but some of the comments made are bang out of order.  Not sure if it is just heat of the moment or reverse psychology!!  Having been "hooked on Murray" since that match against Nalbandian at Wimbedon, there have been plenty of roller coaster rides along the way but as I have often posted on here I would not swap this as Andy Murray is unique, his talent is jaw dropping, his genius streak is amazing which all put together make him fascinating to follow.  I am not a "Murray tinted spectacle" wearing fan and can be objective etc but I just feel there is no need to resort to being so negative. 

We are fortunate enough to have a truly world class player challenging at the top of the men's game in what is believed to be the best ever era of men's tennis, he's not doing so badly is he?  Sure we all want the same thing for Andy Murray and yes it is frustrating when he sometimes takes the "scenic" route to get there but 9 times out of 10 he usually does achieve it.

Come on Andy, 2013 year of the Murray Man......
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #967 on: March 30, 2013, 10:10 AM »

I thought it was a brilliant match last night and for neutrals it must have been a real joy to watch.  Petch said it was like watching Picasso playing Monet for the sheer artistry of the shot making.  Gasquet played some inspired shots but I never for one moment doubted that Andy would win.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #968 on: March 30, 2013, 10:23 AM »

That was an amazing match, Andy Murray showed exactly why he is a GS Champion, he lost the first set twice once serving it out and again in the tie break, he then came out in the second set and played devestayingly good tennis.  Again in the deciding set he played one bad game but recovered to sprint past the finish line.  How things have changed, remember that missed point in the Wimbledon SF against Nadal and Andy never recovered mentally? 

I was on the match thread but logged off when Andy failed to serve it out at 5-4.  To me being a Murray fan means sticking by him through bad times and good, sure there are times when it is wildly frustrating when he loses games he shouldn't etc but some of the comments made are bang out of order.  Not sure if it is just heat of the moment or reverse psychology!!  Having been "hooked on Murray" since that match against Nalbandian at Wimbedon, there have been plenty of roller coaster rides along the way but as I have often posted on here I would not swap this as Andy Murray is unique, his talent is jaw dropping, his genius streak is amazing which all put together make him fascinating to follow.  I am not a "Murray tinted spectacle" wearing fan and can be objective etc but I just feel there is no need to resort to being so negative. 

We are fortunate enough to have a truly world class player challenging at the top of the men's game in what is believed to be the best ever era of men's tennis, he's not doing so badly is he?  Sure we all want the same thing for Andy Murray and yes it is frustrating when he sometimes takes the "scenic" route to get there but 9 times out of 10 he usually does achieve it.

Come on Andy, 2013 year of the Murray Man......

Well said that man!  Post of the month.  Exactly sums up my feeling about our hero, and about some of the negativity expressed on the forum.
IP Logged
curtis71
Satellite Level

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #969 on: March 30, 2013, 01:18 PM »

Right, so now who can read backwards?

reverse the pic in paint Smile
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #970 on: March 30, 2013, 01:27 PM »

It was a brilliant match last night, both players were very good. Gasquet showed us what he could do for a set some brilliant shots. When it got down to it, it was Andy who showed his real worth and fighting qualities. He did not give up when he lost the first set and came back fighting. He is great and can be even greater. We should appreciate a brilliant player of the game of tennis and appreciate his strength ,courage and flair. We are extremely lucky to have him and it just shows that all of us in the UK should appreciate him even more.
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #971 on: March 30, 2013, 01:38 PM »

So very true, MurrayMagic. Nobody forces us to spend our nights, or early morning hours in front of a screen cheering for Andy. When we do so, then for supporting him in good and bad times. Of course, I would have liked him to play more entertaining tennis in the first rounds. Yet, a tournament is not a beauty contest, and the players with a spectacular game (e. G. dimitrov) are already at home. Is there such a saying in English about a horse which only jumps as high as it must? This is exactly what Andy did. And the more I appreciated last night's performance when he really adapted his game playing with heart and head. nevertheless, there are still some moments when we as fans may bite our nails, but never would I support another player who plays like a machine to be on the safe side. tomorrow I will be sitting here again, voluntarily, enjoying a final with Andy knowing he is going to give everything.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #972 on: March 30, 2013, 02:04 PM »

36 winners for Andy and 25 errors. 6 Aces and 5 double faults. Andy's really going for  his serves these days hence the high number of DFs in each match. I guess nowadays he prefers a deep 2nd serve than a weak one.

Like many others, Andy just can't get into matches right away. He needs at least 2 to 3 games to finally get the full focus going. That's why he chooses to serve 2nd in the first set if he wins the toss. This way he tries his best to avoid get broken right away. But of course he can't always afford to choose. It's just the way he is. He needs time to adjust the conditions, crowd, atmosphere, opponents etc. He has to work really hard to get the focus finally going and usually, it works for him when he falls behind. That's when he's left with no other option and forced to focus all his attention to the match in hand.

Anyway, really good performance last night. Full credit to both for keeping it very entertaining. Andy kept it sublime as he went along and was really feeling the court. He could do nothing wrong. Gasquet played a great 1st set so credit to him as well. The crowd was really into the match and the night session always brings the best in Andy...eventually.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #973 on: March 30, 2013, 02:05 PM »

No Aileen,apparently yesterday it wasn't "tout" anything,it was a reference to his trainer's nickname...and he said today's is to do with a joke with a friend from Barcelona who was watching...

I believe he was only referring to the first, illegible bit RE the nickname. Chances are the second bit was in-fact tout bien.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #974 on: March 30, 2013, 02:17 PM »

Lovely to read another positive alternative match report.  Really looking forward to watching it - without the tension when Andy goes behind  Whistle
I'm sure your house guests will understand tj.  We need you there cheering  Andy on  cmon yeah

Watching the recording is probably going to be easier, I hope you enjoy the match as much as I did. I really loved watching Andy figuring it out, it was great.

I know it sounds rotten, but I'm not sure if I care if my house-guests mind or not about tomorrow lol. I'm cooking Sunday dinner for them, so they can let me watch Andy in a final lol. No, seriously, my sister is usually pretty tolerant of my habit of sneaking away to watch matches, especially when it's Andy playing. I suspect it's easier than all the sighing and gnashing of teeth I'd do if they stood in my way of watching lol.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »