Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions
Murray in 2 - 19 (51.4%)
Murray in 3 - 15 (40.5%)
Gasquet in 2 - 1 (2.7%)
Gasquet in 3 - 2 (5.4%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 Go Down Reply
Author

Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet

(Read 10463 times)
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #990 on: March 30, 2013, 05:56 PM »

I'm not on a high horse or suggesting we can all be shining lights of positivity at all times - and yes we are all entitled to our own opinions -but some of the comments last night when Andy missed a shot were really just nasty. There's a difference between feeling a bit frustrated and being mean. He want to win the points too.And the beauty of tennis' scoring system is that it is never over till the umpire calls game set and match. So we should try and rememberthat - Andy doesn't give up so why should we!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #991 on: March 30, 2013, 06:06 PM »

I noticed Andy's team and his family (Mum, Kim etc.) were all very supportive every time he was down. Couldn't imagine them any other way especially being negative. I don't think it would have looked good on them or would have been inspiring for Andy or helpful had they given him critical and long looks. You, in fact, need more support and positive vibes when you are struggling. I am sure it helps far more than let's say giving negative support. But I get that it's a fan zone and not all fans are going to react the same way but at the same time, I would have thought some would wise up by now having been of Andy's fan for so long. I am not indicating you btw but just in general. You are pessimist, negative and positive all at once. I am more on the positive side because I believe in power of suggestions.
Indeed. But we're not there and what we do or say is utterly irrelevant to Murray's chances. Negative comments on a messageboard whilst the match is going on have absolutely no significance on the match itself.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #992 on: March 30, 2013, 06:16 PM »

Indeed. But we're not there and what we do or say is utterly irrelevant to Murray's chances. Negative comments on a messageboard whilst the match is going on have absolutely no significance on the match itself.

I think the point I am trying to make is that, in reality, it's the positive vibe that has the authority over the negative one regardless of situations. For example, if I failed the same exams 3 times making the same mistake, I'd still want my parents to be patient with me rather than being negative and telling me how I would never amount to anything. Negativity achieves nothing especially if you think about Andy getting all negative after failing to serve out for the 1st set and subsequently losing the TB. That would have cost him the match but he stayed positive and still believed he would win and he did. I am showing you how positive is the main power not the negative and given that, it's very unwise to exercise any type of negativity anywhere.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #993 on: March 30, 2013, 06:20 PM »

Difference is EJ, we have absolutely no control over what goes on out there. If so, positivity would come a lot easier. Nothing we do or say here has any impact on what goes on on the court and as such your point is largely irrelevant. Making negative comments about a negative situation is nothing more than just that.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #994 on: March 30, 2013, 06:22 PM »

Nasty things - such as what?

I can understand personal attacks are over the top, but often in matches, such as last night, people will come on and attack the so called 'negative brigade' for simply getting frustrated at a poor game. I wonder if these posters even bother to read the thread or just see some people moaning about 'nasty posts' and jump on their high horse, often exaggerating what were merely fair opinions on a poor game or strange shot selection.

People are entitled to their opinions. The obsessive need to come on here after every match and talk down to those who dared to point out a poor shot selection or get frustrated at throwing a game away with a couple of double faults is totally unnecesary. And you know what the irony is? They're simply drawing attention to these supposed posts and making things worse by exaggerating the extent of them, rather than just letting things go. It's the same old posters posting the same old things. It's incredibly tedious.

Also, those jumping on the backs of anyone who dare predict Murray might lose a match. What's wrong with you? Yes, this is a fan forum, but that doesn't mean some people can't show some neutrality. Murray does lose matches. Just because a poster wasn't confident or had a bad feeling about a match-up doesn't mean they want them to win any less than anyone else on here. Those posters are glad to be proved wrong. So why the need to jump down their throats after the match? Yes, they were wrong. Get over it. Have you never made a wrong prediction in your life?

If anyone has a problem with a post during a match, then comment on it at the time. And actually make it clear what post you're referring to. Because about 99% of the time, it's people moaning about generic posts, often non-existent, without ever actually pointing out these posts in question. Bringing it up after the match, with the delightful benefit of hindsight, is incredibly unfair. Are we not allowed to get frustrated when things aren't going Murray's way?

Everyone on here wants the same thing. So why the need to constantly bring down people for negativity? It's a part of life, it's certainly a part of sport. If it annoys you so much then you need to get a serious grip. Failing that, then just don't come on here and don't read these threads during matches. Ok?

Well,speaking for myself,I don't have a problem with fair,constructive criticism,or with being frustrated when things aren't going our way.I get equally frustrated when I see Andy losing games he should be winning,or not playing like we know he can,or whatever.By "nasty" comments I meant when the comments get quite personally nasty about Andy,which unfortunately they sometimes do-I'm not ok with that.

I don't know if you're talking in general about other people,or specifically to me,as it's my post you quoted,but I'm certainly not on here after every match talking down to anyone about their posts.If I've been on here and seen a comment I'm really not ok with,I have mostly said so.(I didn't in the beginning,because I was new here,and didn't want to get off on the wrong foot with people.But I've been posting on here for the better part of a year now,and hopefully people know me enough now that if I do express a probem with something,they don't see me as someone who gets a kick out of quarrelling with poeple or anything).

I've never thought that everyone has to be the same,or think the same,or react to things the same.I'm not even trying to be on anyone's back about negativity-but I thought it a real shame that Iris might leave because she thought maybe nobody on here was able to look at things from a positive perspective,which is just not true,same as it's not true that everyone who looks at things in a more negavtive light wants Andy to fail or anything.I was just trying to cheer her up.

The bottom line is,whether your perspective is positive,negative,somewhere in between,or whatever,we are all on here because we're Andy fans and want him to do well,and in situations like this I think maybe we should remind ourselves of that.

I hope this doesn't come across as me wanting to quarrel with you Mad-I really don't,not with you,or anyone else.None of your posts,to my knowledge, have ever been ones I've had a problem with,and I've got a lot of respect for your points of view.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #995 on: March 30, 2013, 06:26 PM »

Difference is EJ, we have absolutely no control over what goes on out there. If so, positivity would come a lot easier. Nothing we do or say here has any impact on what goes on on the court and as such your point is largely irrelevant. Making negative comments about a negative situation is nothing more than just that.

Again, I am not talking about whether what goes on here has any impact on the match itself (though we really don't know) but that it's unwise to excessive such an emotion that is never creative. I personally find it unsmart and very unintelligent.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #996 on: March 30, 2013, 06:26 PM »

It wasn't intended at you Dani. Those who it was intended at will know who they are. I've never had a problem with any of your posts.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #997 on: March 30, 2013, 06:27 PM »

Well said Dani! We don't want to chase folk away, rather encourage the lurkers (i was one myself for over a year) to join us.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #998 on: March 30, 2013, 06:27 PM »

Again, I am not talking about whether what goes on here has any impact on the match itself (though we really don't know) but that it's unwise to excessive such an emotion that is never creative. I personally find it unsmart and very unintelligent.
You're going way beyond what my post was referring to.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #999 on: March 30, 2013, 06:27 PM »

I'm not on a high horse or suggesting we can all be shining lights of positivity at all times - and yes we are all entitled to our own opinions -but some of the comments last night when Andy missed a shot were really just nasty. There's a difference between feeling a bit frustrated and being mean. He want to win the points too.And the beauty of tennis' scoring system is that it is never over till the umpire calls game set and match. So we should try and rememberthat - Andy doesn't give up so why should we!
Westie - had you been on MW longer you would have seen similar, or worse, comments from certain members on a regular basis - and with language to match as well.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #1000 on: March 30, 2013, 06:29 PM »

Well said Dani! We don't want to chase folk away, rather encourage the lurkers (i was one myself for over a year) to join us.
Constant quabbles like this after every other match, always started in the same manner, are more discouraging than any off-the-cuff remarks that are bogged down in the match thread anyway.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #1001 on: March 30, 2013, 06:29 PM »

Can we draw a line now and get back to the real business of looking forward to Andy in another final. Lets go Andy lets go!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #1002 on: March 30, 2013, 06:30 PM »

Thanks Westie!Yup,the more Andy fans there are,the better Smile

It wasn't intended at you Dani. Those who it was intended at will know who they are. I've never had a problem with any of your posts.

hug
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #1003 on: March 30, 2013, 06:31 PM »

Westie - had you been on MW longer you would have seen similar, or worse, comments from certain members on a regular basis - and with language to match as well.

Oh i did as a lurker. But I guess you take the rough with the smooth.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Miami SF: Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet « Reply #1004 on: March 30, 2013, 06:37 PM »

You're going way beyond what my post was referring to.

Nope. I am just suggesting that you have nothing to lose if you stay positive. But I didn't think you'd agree because that would essentially mean changing your outlook and you like who you are right now. Keep in mind, you predicted Gasquet to win the match in 2 sets after Andy lost the 1st. Thank God it was Andy who was up for the job.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »