Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Monte Carlo QF : Murray v Berdych 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Murray in 2 - 6 (26.1%)
Murray in 3 - 14 (60.9%)
Berdych in 2 - 0 (0%)
Berdych in 3 - 3 (13%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 Go Down Reply
Author

Monte Carlo QF : Murray v Berdych

(Read 5615 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Monte Carlo QF : Murray v Berdych « Reply #615 on: April 21, 2012, 07:31 PM »

You mean wait until the supermen retire before he wins a slam and will the others in waiting want the same? No you have to go for it now Andy while you at at the top of your game wee laddie!
What are you talking about?

Read what I posted before putting words in my mouth.

Edited for over-reaction.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter April 21, 2012, 07:57 PM ] IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Monte Carlo QF : Murray v Berdych « Reply #616 on: April 21, 2012, 07:55 PM »

Your post Mad hatter was excellent - what you say makes perfect sense. I had a feeling several years ago wehen Novak and Andy came up the rankings that for a few years at least they would be competing on aregular basis for the No.1 spot. Novak and and Andy will be azt  the forefront fora few years to come.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Monte Carlo QF : Murray v Berdych « Reply #617 on: April 21, 2012, 10:28 PM »

From Andy himself - "I haven't thought about finishing my career without having won a Grand Slam because I believe I will do it and that's what I'm working towards... I've just got to keep believing and working hard."  yay
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Monte Carlo QF : Murray v Berdych « Reply #618 on: April 22, 2012, 12:18 PM »

From Andy himself - "I haven't thought about finishing my career without having won a Grand Slam because I believe I will do it and that's what I'm working towards... I've just got to keep believing and working hard."  yay
I like that positive attitude Aileen.  And I'll keep believing too.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Monte Carlo QF : Murray v Berdych « Reply #619 on: April 22, 2012, 12:32 PM »

Yes Andy is made of stern stuff and will not give up trying. It might take time but I am sure he will win a GS .
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Monte Carlo QF : Murray v Berdych « Reply #620 on: April 23, 2012, 01:43 PM »

In terms of winning a Slam - I'd give him til he retires.

Because you can just never rule him out. Sampras was winning slams in his 30's. Federer's still going strong. Other players have peaked in their late twenties (Ferrer, Fish, Bogomolov). Ljubicic won his first Masters at 31. Okay it's not a Slam. But you can't rule Andy out.

In terms of becoming the best in the world (and seriously, you can't rule that out just yet - I doubt many gave Djokovic much chance of being the best in the world just over a year ago. Now look..) then yes, two years seems reasonable.

But in this day and age, many players are peaking well into their 20's, rather than barely into them like 10-20 years ago.

It's just impossible to say. The ability is there. The consistency not. But Djokovic was the same a year ago. Consistency is something that will improve with experience. And a Grand Slam is just one tournament. You never know when someone's going to have that one tournament where they just go all the way.

Federer isn't going to be around for much longer, and I don't think Nadal will be either. Whereas I think Andy will be able to play into his 30's at a similar level as now. Sure, he may peak at 25-26, but I can see him keeping that level for a few years after and certainly not rapidly regressing once he hits 28/29. And at the moment, it doesn't look like anyone else is going to suddenly start challenging for Slams, bar maybe Del Potro.

Andy has always had Del Potro's number and has proved he can beat Djokovic in over 1/3 of their encounters. When you think of it objectively, in a couple of years time you would imagine it would be Djokovic, Andy and Del Potro fighting it out. Eventually Andy will get the better of them when it matters.

So I will just say this - believe. Tennis is no longer the young man's sport it once was, and many players are playing into their 30's. Andy has at least 7-8 years yet before he will even consider retirement. That's around 30 Slams. He may not win one when he's at his peak, but I have no doubt he'll still be contending them for any years to come. And he will win one. Eventually. Whether it's this year, whether it's in five years, I have no doubt he will win one.

Well said Madhatter,
Actually I'll go further & say I think he is primed to be the next No 1.
If he can just get a grip of himself, as it is mastery over himself now that is the issue. He's not a little boy anymore, its time for him to get a hold on his emotions. And despite the relapse into the bad old days that we witnessed in this tournament, Andy knows full well that he has to get over this stage finally grow up as a human being and move on. Life will make him do it. Its inevitable.
Dont agree that there havent been improvements either, if you abstract Monte Carlo from the equation, which was dreadful. There have been major improvements in attitude, serve, forhand court position & so on.
I am willing to see this just as a temporary blip as there were certainly reasons for it.
Players are taking longer to evolve this much is clear in the results on the tour and I have said it for ages.
Onwards and upwards.
[ Last edit by theycanbillme April 23, 2012, 02:30 PM ] IP Logged
AFT
Junior

It's all in the game

Re: Monte Carlo QF : Murray v Berdych « Reply #621 on: April 23, 2012, 02:02 PM »

You mean wait until the supermen retire before he wins a slam and will the others in waiting want the same? No you have to go for it now Andy while you at at the top of your game wee laddie!
What are you talking about?

Read what I posted before putting words in my mouth.

Edited for over-reaction.
Whose over-reacting?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Monte Carlo QF : Murray v Berdych « Reply #622 on: April 23, 2012, 02:09 PM »

I over-reacted to your utterly irrelevant post, then corrected myself. However I'm still waiting for you to answer my question; what the hell does your post have to do with what I said?
IP Logged
AFT
Junior

It's all in the game

Re: Monte Carlo QF : Murray v Berdych « Reply #623 on: April 23, 2012, 02:11 PM »

Well you are very tetchy - sorry for being a Welsh antagonist -forget it. nervous
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Monte Carlo QF : Murray v Berdych « Reply #624 on: April 23, 2012, 02:23 PM »

To say that Andy would never win a slam is a pretty bold statement. It has the danger of you looking utterly stupid if he does go on to win one.
IP Logged
AFT
Junior

It's all in the game

Re: Monte Carlo QF : Murray v Berdych « Reply #625 on: April 23, 2012, 02:26 PM »

To say that Andy would never win a slam is a pretty bold statement. It has the danger of you looking utterly stupid if he does go on to win one.
Who said that he would never win a GS and how do they know?
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Monte Carlo QF : Murray v Berdych « Reply #626 on: April 23, 2012, 02:29 PM »

Andy has already won 8 masters titles and he's still only 24,
By the time he is 30 it could be 20 and still no slam?
Sorry that might happen but it would be a very strange thing indeed if it did.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Monte Carlo QF : Murray v Berdych « Reply #627 on: April 23, 2012, 02:32 PM »

Who said that he would never win a GS and how do they know?

A couple of pages ago I think. They think he’s not good enough to win one.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Monte Carlo QF : Murray v Berdych « Reply #628 on: April 23, 2012, 02:36 PM »

A couple of pages ago I think. They think he’s not good enough to win one.

I actually think he isn't quite good enough to win one either, yet.
It depends on whether he can get to where he is trying to get to with Lendl or not.
But if he can...
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Monte Carlo QF : Murray v Berdych « Reply #629 on: April 23, 2012, 02:39 PM »

Andy has already won 8 masters titles and he's still only 24,
By the time he is 30 it could be 20 and still no slam?
Sorry that might happen but it would be a very strange thing indeed if it did.

You know that I don’t think that. I remember back in 2010 some of us on the other forum talked about Nole’s future and some of them completely wrote him off and thought, he would never win another slam and that he too would fall under the 1 slam wonders, but look where things are with him now. Del Potro is being treated the same and this happens when they expect him to win but he goes on to lose instead. It’s pretty much the same with Andy these days. Every time he loses, suddenly he is no longer the player he used to be. Suddenly he won’t win any slams ever. Suddenly Berdych, Soderling all others are better than him and improved significantly. I’d say rather shortsighted and predictable behaviour.  
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »