Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Monte Carlo R2: Murray vs Troicki 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 Go Down Reply
Author

Monte Carlo R2: Murray vs Troicki

(Read 6002 times)
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Monte Carlo R2: Murray vs Troicki « Reply #240 on: April 17, 2012, 02:10 PM »

Yes, Laurent Bram.  Poor guy - think he's a part-timer.  Andy did come close to one at the 2007 AO but threw the second-last game away in the 3rd to give his opponent a breadstick.
It was fascinating to watch that match at Braehead.  It was my first ever attendance at a pro tennis match, and of course the first time I'd ever seen our hero in person.  In some ways I wish it had been at least a bit more competitive - he could have won playing left-handed I reckon!

But there again, we got to see the famous triple bagel, which is so rare.  He's not likely to have another so there's a little piece of history there to savour.

Above all, it impressed on me the difference in quality between those players at the very top of the game and the also-rans.   Bram was actually a decent tennis player, maybe the equivalent of a good county level standard in Britain.  He could serve well, had all the proper technique on forehands, backhands, volleys and so on.  Yet he wasn't just beaten, he was annihilated.

I don't think Andy was inclined to throw him a game as a bone, either because it could be construed as being disrespectful, or because Bram wound him up early on by trying a sneaky little drop-shot serve that nearly came off.  You could see that our man wasn't impressed!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Monte Carlo R2: Murray vs Troicki « Reply #241 on: April 17, 2012, 02:26 PM »

Aileen, sorry I also like Andy's new haircut - done by a lawnmower.
It was a DIY job apparently - which probably explains some of the patchy bald bits as well (although he is going thin on top anyway).

“I did it myself three days ago,” ... “I just decided I wanted to cut my hair. It was my fitness trainer’s razor so I wasn’t sure how short it was going to be.”

He really should leave these things to the professionals!

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Monte Carlo R2: Murray vs Troicki « Reply #242 on: April 17, 2012, 02:29 PM »

It was fascinating to watch that match at Braehead.  It was my first ever attendance at a pro tennis match, and of course the first time I'd ever seen our hero in person.  In some ways I wish it had been at least a bit more competitive - he could have won playing left-handed I reckon!

But there again, we got to see the famous triple bagel, which is so rare.  He's not likely to have another so there's a little piece of history there to savour.

Above all, it impressed on me the difference in quality between those players at the very top of the game and the also-rans.   Bram was actually a decent tennis player, maybe the equivalent of a good county level standard in Britain.  He could serve well, had all the proper technique on forehands, backhands, volleys and so on.  Yet he wasn't just beaten, he was annihilated.

I don't think Andy was inclined to throw him a game as a bone, either because it could be construed as being disrespectful, or because Bram wound him up early on by trying a sneaky little drop-shot serve that nearly came off.  You could see that our man wasn't impressed!
Yes that player really was very good - by our standards.  Thought he was very plucky to even come on court, but I suppose he had no option!  Mind you, by the 3rd set he wasn't exactly a shrinking violet.  Began to get more confidence I think.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Monte Carlo R2: Murray vs Troicki « Reply #243 on: April 17, 2012, 02:54 PM »

Yes that player really was very good - by our standards. 

Sad thing is, that guy would wipe the floor with 99% of the competitive players we have in this country.

This is what amazes me, having kids who play competitively. I watched them play in the North of England Champs last week. They both got thrashed. The girls who beat them then got thrashed in the next round. As for the girl who won, well, watching her I would say, 'How can anyone be better than that?' But someone from the British top ten would probably take her apart, love and one. And a WTA player ranked in the 600s would beat her by a similar score.

So then you move up the international ranks... and so it goes on. All of which makes you appreciate just how unbelievably good the world's top players are.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Monte Carlo R2: Murray vs Troicki « Reply #244 on: April 17, 2012, 03:30 PM »

So what IS the answer?  Why can;t we produce a stream of top fifty players like France, or Spain?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Monte Carlo R2: Murray vs Troicki « Reply #245 on: April 17, 2012, 04:12 PM »

Because it just isn't "in the blood" would seem to be the answer.  For whatever reason Britain has rarely produced high calibre players.  Yes we had Fred Perry and Bunny Austin - and in my lifetime I recall Mike Sangster (only just discovered he died at 44 - sorry, he was my teenage hear-throb!), who reached three GS SFs and two QFs, then in the Open Era we had Roger Taylor and Mark Cox, who's highest ranking was 11 and 14 respectively.  That was about it really until Henman came along, plus the multi-ethnic Rusedski.  Now we have Andy, and Jamie.  The brutal truth is that it could be a long time before we see their likes again.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Monte Carlo R2: Murray vs Troicki « Reply #246 on: April 17, 2012, 04:13 PM »

By the way - what's happened to the match report?  We don't seem to get too many of those these days!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Monte Carlo R2: Murray vs Troicki « Reply #247 on: April 17, 2012, 04:20 PM »

By the way - what's happened to the match report?  We don't seem to get too many of those these days!
Was just about to say the same Aileen. Surely Andy deserves a glowing report after today's maestro class? confused

Oh and I'm with you Aileen on the haircut [if you can call it that].  Just hope he doesn't get attached to it on superstition grounds.    doh
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Monte Carlo R2: Murray vs Troicki « Reply #248 on: April 17, 2012, 04:31 PM »

Was just about to say the same Aileen. Surely Andy deserves a glowing report after today's maestro class? confused

Oh and I'm with you Aileen on the haircut [if you can call it that].  Just hope he doesn't get attached to it on superstition grounds.    doh
I'm going to ask Mark about the absence of these of late.  Not good enough, I say.  OK we can get them in the media but we've got such good reporters of our own that I actually prefer them to some of the media ones!

As for Andy's hair - oh well, he got hold of a razor in his fitness trainer's room and decided to cut his hair ... shouldn't be allowed anywhere near these things - DIY scissors were bad enough!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Monte Carlo R2: Murray vs Troicki « Reply #249 on: April 17, 2012, 04:34 PM »

Not rusty then yahooo Those first service stats were astonishing. He can beat anyone with those, and I mean anyone
Not good on clay then?  Whistle
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Monte Carlo R2: Murray vs Troicki « Reply #250 on: April 17, 2012, 04:53 PM »

Have just discovered a new thing on my live-streamingTennisTV.com - videos of matches will be available the following day, so I can watch this wonderful match all over again! yay
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Monte Carlo R2: Murray vs Troicki « Reply #251 on: April 17, 2012, 05:07 PM »

It has been shown again this afternoon Aileen due to rain stopping play. Enjoyed watching it again as I knew Andy won.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Monte Carlo R2: Murray vs Troicki « Reply #252 on: April 17, 2012, 05:13 PM »

Oh well, it can be tomorrow's treat as I don't expect Andy will be playing.  Also I've a friend who would like to see it.
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Monte Carlo R2: Murray vs Troicki « Reply #253 on: April 17, 2012, 05:29 PM »

What did I say? Wonderful,  Andy a delight to watch, please continue it would be fantastic.

So mucvh confidence and 82% 1st serves in, keep it going.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Monte Carlo R2: Murray vs Troicki « Reply #254 on: April 17, 2012, 05:34 PM »

1st serve apparently was 92% at one point.  This must surely be a record for Andy.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »