Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Monte Carlo R3: Murray vs Benneateau 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 18 Go Down Reply
Author

Monte Carlo R3: Murray vs Benneateau

(Read 3474 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Monte Carlo R3: Murray vs Benneateau « on: April 18, 2012, 04:05 PM »

To be played on Thursday 19th April at 9:30am BST (10:30am local time).

Andy will be first on Court Central and will head over to Court 2 to play the doubles with Jamie against the Bryan's at 12:30pm BST (1:30pm local time) or after suitable rest.

Next up for Andy is Julien Benneteau (ranked at a near career high #31) who beat 15th seed Jurgen Melzer 6-4, 6-3 today. Andy holds a 2-0 record against Benneteau but their most recent match was the Cincinnati Quarter-Finals in 2009 and they have never met on Clay.

Hopefully we see a repeat of the Troicki match yesterday and Andy continues his fine start to the Clay season. The prize is a place in the Quarter Finals against Thomas Berdych or Kei Nishikori.

Really looking forward to this. C'mon Andy!  cmon yeah

NB: Updated picture of Andy this time to satisfy the complaints after the last thread. (Bev) lol

* MWMurrayvsBenneteau.png (182.37 KB, 654x707 - viewed 389 times.)
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter April 18, 2012, 08:47 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Monte Carlo R3: Murray vs Benneateau « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 04:52 PM »

Andy might face slightly bigger challenge from Benneteau than he did yesterday as I find Benneteau a bit better on clay than Troicki. Also, more experienced. 
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Monte Carlo R3: Murray vs Benneateau « Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 04:55 PM »

Also older
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Monte Carlo R3: Murray vs Benneateau « Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 04:56 PM »

Andy might face slightly bigger challenge from Benneteau than he did yesterday as I find Benneteau a bit better on clay than Troicki. Also, more experienced. 

Well, actually Andy's biggest challenge mostly lies with himself and how he's feeling on that day, so maybe scratch ^^ that.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Monte Carlo R3: Murray vs Benneateau « Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 04:57 PM »

Also older

I went with more experienced instead because I feel experience matters more than age. :p
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Monte Carlo R3: Murray vs Benneateau « Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 05:03 PM »

Yep and as Andy said after the Troicki match yesterday he is also a former French Open Quarter-Finalist. However that was a long time ago now, but is proof of Benneateau's clay credentials.

As EJ said, it mostly all comes down to Andy's performance. If he's on song like he was yesterday he should face few problems.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Monte Carlo R3: Murray vs Benneateau « Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 05:18 PM »

Yep and as Andy said after the Troicki match yesterday he is also a former French Open Quarter-Finalist. However that was a long time ago now, but is proof of Benneateau's clay credentials.

As EJ said, it mostly all comes down to Andy's performance. If he's on song like he was yesterday he should face few problems.

Andy has certainly started his clay season feeling very confident and this confidence is based on his performance last year. He maybe looking forward to playing both Nole and Nadal already as he feels the least pressure against them and this being clay makes it all the more worthwhile to give it a real shot. I guess we will see. His next match will be tough either way after Benneateau but not going to look any further than that for now.

Another note to take into account is that, Andy put forward a brilliant play in his first match here in MC and that’s over two weeks of break in between, whereas he was quoted as “undercooked” at the Miami final after only three days break in between and he played a couple of fairly competitive matches just prior. You can see how that undercook logic doesn’t really apply overall. Federer, I remember, strictly saying that it doesn’t bother his level of play even if he has to sit through 4 days in a row to play the next match – be it final or whatever. He says he still feels just as much anxious and eager to play. Again this mostly comes down to the mindset one has.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Monte Carlo R3: Murray vs Benneateau « Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 05:31 PM »

Yes but i feel for Andy he mostly has to get a "feel" for the court/surface. Theres no way he wouldnt have taken it to a 3rd set at least in Miami if he was more match sharp.
Given his best of the best record at hardcourt masters finals he really should have got one over Novak again.
Andy looked like he was staggering about for a lot of the IW Miami stretch.
Anyway Ferrer is out so it looks like a Novak semi/final or win is more likely now.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Monte Carlo R3: Murray vs Benneateau « Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 05:39 PM »

Yes but i feel for Andy he mostly has to get a "feel" for the court/surface. Theres no way he wouldnt have taken it to a 3rd set at least in Miami if he was more match sharp.
Given his best of the best record at hardcourt masters finals he really should have got one over Novak again.
Andy looked like he was staggering about for a lot of the IW Miami stretch.
Anyway Ferrer is out so it looks like a Novak semi/final or win is more likely now.

How can one be match sharp after two weeks of break on his least best surface in the very first match and not match sharp in a Masters final on his best surface against a guy he's beaten only a few weeks prior? That logic is completely lost on me, Bill but let's not duel on it - just though I'd point it out, though granted, you never said it in the first place.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Monte Carlo R3: Murray vs Benneateau « Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 05:53 PM »

Yes but clearly he was far from his best in that final & was relativley untested.
You're probably correct though, It is more to do with his mentality for sure rather than any other kind of issue but either way the result is the same.
The MC 2nd round match to me was completely surprising as I'm sure it was to you although Troicki was not at his best either.
Maybe playing on clay has lost some of its difficulty to him, maybe this year he'll come of age on it. Certainly he played with a level of determination I've never seen before at this stage.
He's a hard one to figure out sometimes.
One other possibilty is that he has finally managed to absorb his most recent training regime and that has now started to augment his game, rather than destablise it.
Now that would be promising if it were the case.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Monte Carlo R3: Murray vs Benneateau « Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 06:02 PM »

9:30am UK time for this according to Neil Harman. Think
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Monte Carlo R3: Murray vs Benneateau « Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 06:07 PM »

Yep on the OS now. First on Court Central.

An early one this then. At least it encourages me to get out of bed. Very Happy
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Monte Carlo R3: Murray vs Benneateau « Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 06:23 PM »

Yep on the OS now. First on Court Central.

An early one this then. At least it encourages me to get out of bed. Very Happy

...and then the doubles v The Bryans on Court 2 'Not before 1.30pm [MC time]
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Monte Carlo R3: Murray vs Benneateau « Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 06:34 PM »

Interesting comments from Benneteau (via @enricomariariva).  Think

Benneteau on Murray:"​ In Cincinnati it was an interesting match. One rally lasted 58 shots. I remember he made several doublefaults"

Benneteau on Murray:"​I realized playing that match that his shots do not really hurt during the rallies"

Benneteau on Lendl:" I haven't seen any difference yet. Have you seen one? But lately I haven't been watching tennis."

If I were Andy, I'd be just a little more fired up in tomorrow's match after reading these comments!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Monte Carlo R3: Murray vs Benneateau « Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 06:42 PM »

Mind games Mr Benneteau!
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 18 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »